PDA

View Full Version : BEST FOOD DISCUSSION - Palatable, Savory, Delicious Food Found In ASEAN

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

20-04-2016, 01:51 PM
These Peking Ducky looks delicious.

5 of the Best Peking Duck Restaurants in Singapore

Imperial Treasure Super Peking Duck

TungLok Xihe Peking Duck

AhSoonNo1
21-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Serangoon Gardens Market and Food Centre.

Kway Chap

AhSoonNo1
21-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Ah Seng Braised Duck Rice

Moderator888
21-04-2016, 12:44 PM
This kway chap ingredients look solid.

Kway Chap

[19447

SilentReader888
21-04-2016, 12:45 PM
The braised duck looks yummy.

cabayasi
21-04-2016, 01:50 PM
The braised duck looks yummy.

Up you 11 duck wings as return, thanks

mr_missile
21-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Kway Chap

love the kway chap. intestines and stomach all cleaned and no funny smell. very nice! :)

WaterJet
21-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Looks nice but costly cheese tarts!

Yes, same as those croissant

AhSoonNo1
22-04-2016, 10:55 AM
love the kway chap. intestines and stomach all cleaned and no funny smell. very nice! :)

Thank you for posting your comment.

AhSoonNo1
22-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Desserts to beat the heat

ICEBOXCAFE.SG
89 Rangoon Road #01-02 Urban Lofts (near Farrer Park MRT)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 2pm - 11pm, Saturday to Sunday: 12pm - 11pm
Price Range: $12 - $16

This cafe is one of the rare cafes serving Halal-certified bingsu in Singapore. One of its unique offerings is the 'Local Twists' menu, which includes the Duri Durian bingsu, giving the popular Korean dessert a little Singaporean twist.

ONE ICE CAFE
2 Jurong East Central 1 #02-67 (near Jurong East MRT)

Opening hours: Monday to Sunday: 12:30pm - 9:30pm

Price Range: $6 - $10

One of the most affordable bingsu cafes in Singapore, this is one for those on a budget. Although the ice is slightly coarser, the overflow of toppings makes up for it. Besides bingsu, One Ice Cafe also serves belgian waffles with ice cream, another dessert that would provide you with a slight relief in this heat. Check out the cafe's Instagram at @oneicecafe for promotions.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/desserts-beat-heat?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1461241294

Moderator888
22-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Just what we need for the hot weather.

QUOTE=AhSoonNo1;14498734]Desserts to beat the heat

ICEBOXCAFE.SG
89 Rangoon Road #01-02 Urban Lofts (near Farrer Park MRT)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 2pm - 11pm, Saturday to Sunday: 12pm - 11pm
Price Range: $12 - $16

This cafe is one of the rare cafes serving Halal-certified bingsu in Singapore. One of its unique offerings is the 'Local Twists' menu, which includes the Duri Durian bingsu, giving the popular Korean dessert a little Singaporean twist.

ONE ICE CAFE

One of the most affordable bingsu cafes in Singapore, this is one for those on a budget. Although the ice is slightly coarser, the overflow of toppings makes up for it. Besides bingsu, One Ice Cafe also serves belgian waffles with ice cream, another dessert that would provide you with a slight relief in this heat. Check out the cafe's Instagram at @oneicecafe for promotions.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/desserts-beat-heat?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1461241294[/QUOTE]

SilentReader888
22-04-2016, 11:14 AM
The dessert looks nice too.

Desserts to beat the heat

ONE ICE CAFE

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/desserts-beat-heat?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1461241294

AhSoonNo1
22-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Tainted durian pastries: Goodwood Park Hotel Bakery suspended

A total of 76 food poisoning cases were reported. NEA, the Health Ministry and AVA are conducting joint investigations.

SINGAPORE: Goodwood Park Hotel's bakery, known for its popular durian puffs, has had its licence suspended following a spate of food poisoning cases between Mar 15 and Apr 16, the National Environment Agency (NEA), Ministry of Health (MOH), and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) announced in a joint press release.

NEA, MOH and AVA said as of Apr 21, a total of 76 food poisoning cases were reported. NEA has ordered Goodwood Park Hotel to cease the production, sale and distribution of all pastries that are prepared by their bakery and to dispose of all pastries prepared there, with effect from Apr 22 until further notice.

NEA has also told the hotel to clean and sanitise the bakery, including equipment, utensils, work surfaces and toilets, and review and rectify the lapses in food preparation processes identified during the joint inspections.

When the first incident was reported on Mar 15, MOH said it immediately initiated epidemiological investigations and NEA inspected the bakery’s premises the next day. The Health Ministry stepped up investigations and inspected the bakery’s premises of Goodwood Park Hotel on Apr 4 after the second incident was reported.

Subsequently on Apr 13, the three agencies conducted joint investigations at Goodwood Park Hotel when more incidents linked to their durian pastries were reported. MOH’s investigations found that the consumption of Goodwood Park Hotel durian pastries was the only common epidemiological link.

The agencies said some lapses in food handling were found at Goodwood Park Hotel’s durian pastry kitchen of the bakery but the premises were found to be clean with proper housekeeping and refuse management. No signs of pest activity and hygiene lapse were detected.

AVA said it has conducted upstream checks at the suppliers of food ingredients supplied to Goodwood Park Hotel, including durian pulp.

So far, no food safety lapses have been found at the suppliers’ establishments. There were also no other complaints of food poisoning from other establishments that used the durian pulp from the same supplier.

MOH has collected stool samples from the affected cases and food handlers, which have been sent for screening. Only those who are certified medically fit will be allowed to resume work after medical clearance by MOH, when the suspension is lifted. All food handlers working in the bakery are also required to re-attend and pass the Basic Food Hygiene Course, before they can resume work as food handlers. MOH and NEA are monitoring the situation closely, they said.

Based on joint investigation findings, NEA will take the necessary enforcement actions against the licensee if hygiene infringements are found, it said. Licensed food operators have the responsibility to put in place systems and processes to ensure high hygiene standards are observed by their food handlers at all times.

- CNA

TinaChris
23-04-2016, 12:34 AM

Tried it before, very good!! :D

KooningKing
23-04-2016, 03:52 AM
Tried it before, very good!! :D

Wonderful food thread!! :D

AhSoonNo1
23-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Good morning.

Please post here for any food you wish to try.

Moderator888
23-04-2016, 07:57 AM
The durian puffs is their signature pastry.

A total of 76 food poisoning cases were reported. NEA, the Health Ministry and AVA are conducting joint investigations.

- CNA

NaMoLo
23-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Very expensive but unhygienic.

SINGAPORE: Goodwood Park Hotel's bakery, known for its popular durian puffs, has had its licence suspended following a spate of food poisoning cases between Mar 15 and Apr 16, the National Environment Agency (NEA), Ministry of Health (MOH), and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) announced in a joint press release.

NEA, MOH and AVA said as of Apr 21, a total of 76 food poisoning cases were reported. NEA has ordered Goodwood Park Hotel to cease the production, sale and distribution of all pastries that are prepared by their bakery and to dispose of all pastries prepared there, with effect from Apr 22 until further notice.

Based on joint investigation findings, NEA will take the necessary enforcement actions against the licensee if hygiene infringements are found, it said. Licensed food operators have the responsibility to put in place systems and processes to ensure high hygiene standards are observed by their food handlers at all times.

- CNA

chatlovers
23-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Good morning.

Please post here for any food you wish to try.

Bro. Upz you back + 10. Anyone else interested in exchange?

SanDisk32
23-04-2016, 02:42 PM
The durian puffs is their signature pastry.

Yes, very yummy :)

AhSoonNo1
23-04-2016, 07:03 PM
11 Best Frog Porridges in Singapore You Gotta Hop On Down To

1. Chang Jiang G1 Claypot Frog Porridge 长江1号

Dried Chilli Frog Porridge ($5)

Located conveniently within walking distance of Chinatown MRT, Chang Jiang G1 ought to be everyone’s go-to frog porridge. What I find great about Chang Jiang G1 is their individual portions of frog porridge, priced at an unbelievable $5! Their gravy was dark and spicy, and stirred into their plain porridge, was truly a delight to eat.

You’d expect a stingy amount of frog for such a pricetag, but Chang Jiang G1 was extremely generous — I found 4 frog legs in my bowl and a number of other froggy parts. This was the most affordable frog porridge I found.

Chang Jiang G1 Claypot Frog Porridge: 32 New Market Road, People’s Park Complex Food Centre,#01-1150, Singapore 050032 | Open Monday to Sunday, 1030 – 2130 | Closed on alternate Mondays

2. Eminent Frog Porridge 明辉田鸡粥

Frog with Spring Onion ($8/$16/$22)

Eminent occupies a special spot in my heart, having been the stall that served me my very first bowl of frog porridge when I was little. I love that Eminent’s frog porridge is consistently on point, delivering velvety porridge and tender frog meat every single time I’ve visited.

What’s more, their porridge is also relatively affordable as they run a Buy Two Get One Free promotion that increases with the number of frogs you buy.

Eminent also has a number of unique offerings that can only be found here, such as Special Frog with Garlic and White Pepper and Homemade Chilli Frog (both $8/$16/$22). I had the latter once, and the flaming hot chilli-crab style sauce that came with the frog was so shiok. If you’re looking for frog porridge, you’ve got to try Eminent.

Eminent Frog Porridge: 323 Geylang Road, Lorong 19, Singapore 389359 | Monday to Sunday, 1700 – 0400 | Tel: 9842 2941

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/post/143247353723/11-best-frog-porridges-in-singapore-you-gotta-hop

TriBand
23-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Frog porridge my favourite :D

Shinpad
23-04-2016, 10:04 PM

This stall is very good!! :D

AhSoonNo1
24-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Toa Payoh Hwa Heng Beef Noodles

Beef Noodle Dry ($4)

Comprehensively ornamented with positive reviews plastered over the glass panes of the stall, Toa Payoh Hwa Heng Beef Noodle is a legendary spot unbeknownst to only a handful.

The “dry” version came with a bowl of soup and a bowl of noodles coated in a very thick broth that was very stout in flavour. I was also very pleasantly surprised to spot specks of minced beef swimming amongst the braised gravy. Just be sure to mix the noodles and broth well, it might get a little too salty should the sauce-to-noodle ratio run wild.

My guess is the beef slices were probably blanched raw to achieve the perfectly soft, tender consistency it possesses. Fragments of kiam chye (salted pickled mustard) are scattered over the dish which gave off a slight sourness, adding dimensions and preventing repetition to the taste (or as some Singaporeans say – jelak!)

Toa Payoh Hwa Heng Beef Noodles: 29 Bendemeer Road #01 – 01, Singapore 330029
Opening hours: 10am – 8pm (closed mon, tues)

ddog
24-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Frogs loaded with bacterias, internal parasites and worms just google it. If not cooked properly can get v bad food poisoning/diarrhea, have experienced it @ Geylang one, served Ddog stale smelling frog.
Meat is best frozen to kill off germs like sushi then cook.

Moderator888
24-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Very good for supper.

[SIZE="4"]

Eminent occupies a special spot in my heart, having been the stall that served me my very first bowl of frog porridge when I was little. I love that Eminent’s frog porridge is consistently on point, delivering velvety porridge and tender frog meat every single time I’ve visited.

What’s more, their porridge is also relatively affordable as they run a Buy Two Get One Free promotion that increases with the number of frogs you buy.

Eminent also has a number of unique offerings that can only be found here, such as Special Frog with Garlic and White Pepper and Homemade Chilli Frog (both $8/$16/$22). I had the latter once, and the flaming hot chilli-crab style sauce that came with the frog was so shiok. If you’re looking for frog porridge, you’ve got to try Eminent.

Eminent Frog Porridge: 323 Geylang Road, Lorong 19, Singapore 389359 | Monday to Sunday, 1700 – 0400 | Tel: 9842 2941

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/post/143247353723/11-best-frog-porridges-in-singapore-you-gotta-hop

SilentReader888
24-04-2016, 10:57 AM
This stall served very delicious beef noodle.

Beef Noodle Dry ($4)

Comprehensively ornamented with positive reviews plastered over the glass panes of the stall, Toa Payoh Hwa Heng Beef Noodle is a legendary spot unbeknownst to only a handful.

The “dry” version came with a bowl of soup and a bowl of noodles coated in a very thick broth that was very stout in flavour. I was also very pleasantly surprised to spot specks of minced beef swimming amongst the braised gravy. Just be sure to mix the noodles and broth well, it might get a little too salty should the sauce-to-noodle ratio run wild.

My guess is the beef slices were probably blanched raw to achieve the perfectly soft, tender consistency it possesses. Fragments of kiam chye (salted pickled mustard) are scattered over the dish which gave off a slight sourness, adding dimensions and preventing repetition to the taste (or as some Singaporeans say – jelak!)

Ohio
24-04-2016, 11:06 AM
This beef noodle look good. Must make an effort to try.

Beef Noodle Dry ($4)

HornyGrin
24-04-2016, 05:13 PM
This stall served very delicious beef noodle.

Looks good :)

AhSoonNo1
25-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Tau Kwa Pau @Dunman Food Center

Tau kwa pau (豆干包) is a Teochew/Peranakan snack (小吃) with a history of more than 50 years. It is a piece of fried bean curd tt's sliced horizontally in the middle & in the pocket is stuffed (till it overflows with) roughly-chopped fried fishcake, fried yam, braised egg (卤蛋) & cucumber. Braised gravy (卤汁) is then drizzled over the tau kwa pau before it is served with some homemade sweet & spicy chilli. Every mouthful of this tau kwa pau releases a burst of 😋flavours & textures. These days, it is rare to find stalls selling tau kwa pau. Say Seng Famous Tau Kwa Pau (生成著名豆干包) is perhaps the most famous stall selling this Teochew snack. It is believed to be the pioneer of tau kwa pau. Founded in 1959, it is now located at Dunman Food Ctr after it moved twice from its initial location in a corner coffee shop next to the intersection of East Coast Rd & Joo Chiat Rd. Although the standard of its tau kwa pau is a little off the high standard tt it used to be in its heyday, I feel tt the tau kwa pau at Say Seng today still packs quite a punch, esp. when eaten with the homemade sweet & spicy chilli & drizzled with a generous amt of braised gravy (卤汁)

Moderator888
25-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Have not eaten this dish for years.

SilentReader888
25-04-2016, 02:19 PM
TS, I have never heard of this dish. Good sharing.

Tau kwa pau (豆干包) is a Teochew/Peranakan snack (小吃) with a history of more than 50 years. It is a piece of fried bean curd tt's sliced horizontally in the middle & in the pocket is stuffed (till it overflows with) roughly-chopped fried fishcake, fried yam, braised egg (卤蛋) & cucumber. Braised gravy (卤汁) is then drizzled over the tau kwa pau before it is served with some homemade sweet & spicy chilli. Every mouthful of this tau kwa pau releases a burst of 😋flavours & textures. These days, it is rare to find stalls selling tau kwa pau. Say Seng Famous Tau Kwa Pau (生成著名豆干包) is perhaps the most famous stall selling this Teochew snack. It is believed to be the pioneer of tau kwa pau. Founded in 1959, it is now located at Dunman Food Ctr after it moved twice from its initial location in a corner coffee shop next to the intersection of East Coast Rd & Joo Chiat Rd. Although the standard of its tau kwa pau is a little off the high standard tt it used to be in its heyday, I feel tt the tau kwa pau at Say Seng today still packs quite a punch, esp. when eaten with the homemade sweet & spicy chilli & drizzled with a generous amt of braised gravy (卤汁)

Ohio
25-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Me too never heard of this dish.

OysterMan
26-04-2016, 01:58 AM

Many ingredients inside, must try one day :D

AhSoonNo1
26-04-2016, 10:05 AM
1. Lai Heng Mushroom Minced Meat Mee

Popular among Toa Payoh residents, this stall serves up a pretty good bowl of Bak Chor Mee. Perhaps it’s the lack of decent alternatives around Toa Payoh but as faultless as it was, there wasn’t a wow factor that made the 40 minute wait worthwhile. Still, a must try if you’re a resident in the area.

Address: Blk 51 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-62, Singapore 310051
Operating Hours: 8.30am – 4pm (Closed on Wednesdays)

2. Ah Poh Minced Meat Noodle

This stall is the third and often overlooked one at Bedok 85 as the hawker centre is well known for long queues stemming from the other two heavy weight Bak Chor Mee stalls – Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian and Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee. However, the Bak Chor Mee served here is equally good with the queues much shorter. It is also the most consistent of the three. A small bit of trivia – Ah Poh is related to one of the other heavy weights – Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian as the owners are sisters who probably share similar recipes.

Address: Blk 85 Bedok North Street 4 #01-18, Singapore 460085
Operating Hours: 6pm – 3am (Closed on Mondays)

http://sethlui.com/best-must-try-bak-chor-mee-stalls-singapore/

Moderator888
26-04-2016, 10:14 AM
I live nearby so can go over to try.

[SIZE="5"]
2. Ah Poh Minced Meat Noodle

This stall is the third and often overlooked one at Bedok 85 as the hawker centre is well known for long queues stemming from the other two heavy weight Bak Chor Mee stalls – Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian and Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee. However, the Bak Chor Mee served here is equally good with the queues much shorter. It is also the most consistent of the three. A small bit of trivia – Ah Poh is related to one of the other heavy weights – Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian as the owners are sisters who probably share similar recipes.

Address: Blk 85 Bedok North Street 4 #01-18, Singapore 460085
Operating Hours: 6pm – 3am (Closed on Mondays)

http://sethlui.com/best-must-try-bak-chor-mee-stalls-singapore/

SilentReader888
26-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Toa Payoh really a food paradise.

1. Lai Heng Mushroom Minced Meat Mee

Popular among Toa Payoh residents, this stall serves up a pretty good bowl of Bak Chor Mee. Perhaps it’s the lack of decent alternatives around Toa Payoh but as faultless as it was, there wasn’t a wow factor that made the 40 minute wait worthwhile. Still, a must try if you’re a resident in the area.

Address: Blk 51 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-62, Singapore 310051
Operating Hours: 8.30am – 4pm (Closed on Wednesdays)

Ahgor
26-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Me too never heard of this dish.

Count me in. Really plenty of mouth watering food here.

NaMoLo
26-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Looking at this makes me hungry.

[SIZE="5"]20501

h0ian
26-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Look Yummy
My model gf love frog porridge :D

11 Best Frog Porridges in Singapore You Gotta Hop On Down To

1. Chang Jiang G1 Claypot Frog Porridge 长江1号

Dried Chilli Frog Porridge ($5)

Located conveniently within walking distance of Chinatown MRT, Chang Jiang G1 ought to be everyone’s go-to frog porridge. What I find great about Chang Jiang G1 is their individual portions of frog porridge, priced at an unbelievable $5! Their gravy was dark and spicy, and stirred into their plain porridge, was truly a delight to eat.

You’d expect a stingy amount of frog for such a pricetag, but Chang Jiang G1 was extremely generous — I found 4 frog legs in my bowl and a number of other froggy parts. This was the most affordable frog porridge I found.

Chang Jiang G1 Claypot Frog Porridge: 32 New Market Road, People’s Park Complex Food Centre,#01-1150, Singapore 050032 | Open Monday to Sunday, 1030 – 2130 | Closed on alternate Mondays

AhSoonNo1
27-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your kind support.

Please post here the food you like to try.

SilentReader888
27-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Thank you for your kind support.

Please post here the food you like to try.

Will always support bro.

Dixon
28-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Look Yummy
My model gf love frog porridge :D

Thanks bros for the sharing....:D

AhSoonNo1
28-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks bros for the sharing....:D

Thank you for support here.

DiAprilani
28-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Thank you for support here.

Great work, bro AhSoonNo1 :D

AhSoonNo1
29-04-2016, 03:14 PM
3. Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle

The most famous and legendary bak chor mee in Singapore to say the least. If you feel that queuing for 30 to 45 minutes over at Bedok 85 is already a chore, you should probably give this a miss as waiting times can be as long as 90 to 120 minutes during meal times. You may even see CEOs, or even the odd minister in the queue – one of the places where having status doesn’t get you ahead. Everyone still queues. I would advice going really early when they open, which might still see people da bao 10 packets per order.

Address: Blk 466 Crawford Lane #01-12, Singapore 190465
Operating Hours: 9.30am – 8pm (Closed on 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month)

Wende11a
29-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Surely good food.

Tennessee
29-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks delicious!

The most famous and legendary bak chor mee in Singapore to say the least. If you feel that queuing for 30 to 45 minutes over at Bedok 85 is already a chore, you should probably give this a miss as waiting times can be as long as 90 to 120 minutes during meal times. You may even see CEOs, or even the odd minister in the queue – one of the places where having status doesn’t get you ahead. Everyone still queues. I would advice going really early when they open, which might still see people da bao 10 packets per order.

FilbertStreet
29-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Looks delicious!

Agree, must try :D

AhSoonNo1
30-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Wish all happy Labour Day weekeend.

SilentReader888
30-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Very delicious!

NatalieDi
30-04-2016, 04:22 PM
I love to eat beef noodles.

[20240
Beef Noodle Dry ($4)

MrTee
01-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Very delicious!

Feel hungry looking at the pic :D

MuackyMouse
01-05-2016, 03:07 AM
Feel hungry looking at the pic :D

Haha very true!! :D

NatalieDi
01-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I love fishball noodle

/[/url]

Pogba
01-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I love fishball noodle

This looks more like meatball :D

Cuntworth
01-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I love fishball noodle

Look like bedok blk 85 ba cho mee

AhSoonNo1
02-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Good morning and any breakfast for you?

SilentReader888
02-05-2016, 07:03 AM

Thank you for sharing info.

KobeLakers
02-05-2016, 01:56 PM

Bedok 85 bak cho mee is good!!!

CombatReady
02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Surely good food.

Looks very appetizing indeed ;)

StarMax
02-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Bedok 85 bak cho mee is good!!!

But I don't know which is the famous one

sabokings
03-05-2016, 02:27 AM

there is one satay and BBQ stall there now charging 70 cents for one stick of satay, things r getting way too expensive now, the hawkers are practicing profiteering everywhere :mad:

if you survey carefully, most stalls in hawker centres their prices are now very close to what coffeeshop stalls are selling, meaning the hawkers pay low rent to NEA but selling food at market rate and that is profiteering ! :mad:

I thought the hawkers should sell food at reasonable prices to the general public cos giving them low rent is the NEA's objective to help lower income Singaporean ! :(

hope the NEA will look into this :(

sabokings
03-05-2016, 02:32 AM

Their food is not bad but their customers are mostly youngsters ! :confused:

You can HARDLY FIND customers in the late 40s, 50s or 60s queuing for his noodle becos the bowl of noodle is way too expensive. :(

MelodyHearts
03-05-2016, 02:35 AM
there is one satay and BBQ stall there now charging 70 cents for one stick of satay, things r getting way too expensive now, the hawkers are practicing profiteering everywhere :mad:

if you survey carefully, most stalls in hawker centres their prices are now very close to what coffeeshop stalls are selling, meaning the hawkers pay low rent to NEA but selling food at market rate and that is profiteering ! :mad:

I thought the hawkers should sell food at reasonable prices to the general public cos giving them low rent is the NEA's objective to help lower income Singaporean ! :(

That was the first intention by NEA when they rented stalls to hawkers at a very cheap price - to sell food at cheap, affordable price.

However, they allowed hawkers to rent out the stalls at a higher price, which caused food prices to increase.

So how to reverse the process?

AhSoonNo1
03-05-2016, 10:16 AM

That was the first intention by NEA when they rented stalls to hawkers at a very cheap price - to sell food at cheap, affordable price.

However, they allowed hawkers to rent out the stalls at a higher price, which caused food prices to increase.

So how to reverse the process?

It is correct. Just not sure if NEA enforce the no sublet rule.

AhSoonNo1
03-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Happy Labour Day to All ! Nestled next to the busy Jurong East St 24 market is this Zai Shun Curry Fish Head. Signatures will always be the steamed fish in bean sauce, curry fish head, fried prawn roll 虾枣,steamed minced pork, various vegetables. Not seen on photos here are herbal chicken and dong po meat 东坡肉 you can also try. Total bill for 5 dishes for 4pax as below wo drinks will set you back by $64. Good with porridge or rice...

Sometimes you can get more exotic fishes like Giant Grouper or Empurau aka 龙趸鱼 or 忘不了. Prices are definitely lower than the major restaurants.

Operates from 7am to 3pm. (Avoid peak between 12pm-1.30pm). Closed on Wednesday Address: Blk 253, Jurong East St 24, #01-205,
Singapore 600253

03-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Their food is not bad but their customers are mostly youngsters ! :confused:

You can HARDLY FIND customers in the late 40s, 50s or 60s queuing for his noodle becos the bowl of noodle is way too expensive. :(

As consumer we can always eat cheap and good food.

MuttonChicken
03-05-2016, 10:43 AM
TS, thank you for your introduction.

Happy Labour Day to All ! Nestled next to the busy Jurong East St 24 market is this Zai Shun Curry Fish Head. Signatures will always be the steamed fish in bean sauce, curry fish head, fried prawn roll 虾枣,steamed minced pork, various vegetables. Not seen on photos here are herbal chicken and dong po meat 东坡肉 you can also try. Total bill for 5 dishes for 4pax as below wo drinks will set you back by $64. Good with porridge or rice...

Operates from 7am to 3pm. (Avoid peak between 12pm-1.30pm). Closed on Wednesday Address: Blk 253, Jurong East St 24, #01-205,
Singapore 600253

MuttonChicken
03-05-2016, 10:46 AM
TS, I love your thread as food is my main topic.

Ohio
03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Thank you for sharing.

Sometimes you can get more exotic fishes like Giant Grouper or Empurau aka 龙趸鱼 or 忘不了. Prices are definitely lower than the major restaurants.

Singapore 600253

Skerf33
03-05-2016, 11:15 AM
It is correct. Just not sure if NEA enforce the no sublet rule.

Even if they enforce now, the damage has already been done
Once the food price go up, don't expect it to come down

Valore
03-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Fantastic thread :D

hakone
03-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the thread.

AhSoonNo1
04-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Thank you for all your kind support.

Power noddle at Circuit Road Blk 79. Unit 01-55. Best noddle dinner must try rating 8/10.����

NatalieDi
04-05-2016, 09:59 AM
If Shin Min daily also feature means must be power noodle. Must try!

Power noddle at Circuit Road Blk 79. Unit 01-55. Best noddle dinner must try rating 8/10.����

GeniusLad
04-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Bro ahsoon often posts good food.

ChuL1uXiang
04-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Right! Shin Min rating very accurate :)

Zookout
05-05-2016, 01:31 AM
Nice thread for food lovers like me! :D

AhSoonNo1
05-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Bai Li Xiang @ 179 Kopitiam (Ah Lian)

Endearingly known by the NTU students as “Ah Lian”, Bai Li Xiang offers a large selection of sides to add to your choice of noodles.

If you live in Pioneer or are around that area looking for a good supper place, I’d recommend coming to Ah Lian. It’s guaranteed satisfaction.

179 Kopitiam: Blk 651, Jurong West St 63, Singapore 648310
Opening Hours: 10pm – 5.30am (Daily)

AhSoonNo1
05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Niqqi’s Cheese Prata Shop

A popular place to grab supper at for the NUS crowd, The Cheese Prata Shop is also famous for its variety of Pratas. Go grab yourself a Tissue Prata or a Maggi Goreng and sate that midnight craving.

Warning: Their drinks are a bit mediocre, so don’t set expectations too high.

Niqqi’s Cheese Prata Shop: 18 Clementi Rd, Singapore 129747
Opening Hours: 24 hours (Daily)

NatalieDi
05-05-2016, 11:05 AM
I love cheese prata.

A popular place to grab supper at for the NUS crowd, The Cheese Prata Shop is also famous for its variety of Pratas. Go grab yourself a Tissue Prata or a Maggi Goreng and sate that midnight craving.

SilentReader888
05-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Open right up to 5.30am.

Bai Li Xiang @ 179 Kopitiam (Ah Lian)

Endearingly known by the NTU students as “Ah Lian”, Bai Li Xiang offers a large selection of sides to add to your choice of noodles.

If you live in Pioneer or are around that area looking for a good supper place, I’d recommend coming to Ah Lian. It’s guaranteed satisfaction.

179 Kopitiam: Blk 651, Jurong West St 63, Singapore 648310
Opening Hours: 10pm – 5.30am (Daily)

Congress
05-05-2016, 11:14 AM
I had been to eat here. Very popular at midnight.

CircleLife
05-05-2016, 11:20 AM
TS, thank you for great thread.

AhSoonNo1
05-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Hua Ting Steamboat: Mini Hotpots Packed with Cantonese Flavours and Cool Twists

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/post/143816660878/hua-ting-steamboat-mini-hotpots-packed-with

Expected Damage: $25 – $40 per pax

Hua Ting Steamboat: 442 Orchard Rd, Singapore 238879 | Monday to Sunday Lunch: 1130-1430, Dinner: 1730-2230 | Tel: 6739 6628

Godin
05-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I love cheese prata.

Cheese n mushroom my fav

ChilledPig
05-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Good place for supper :)

Blackcloud
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM

If you see long que at food stall die die must try . :p

Performer
05-05-2016, 04:22 PM
TS, thank you for posting so much info on food.

AhSoonNo1
06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
根叔美食世家 Blk 74 Toa Payoh Lor 4 Market and Food Centre. Opens 5.30am-1.30pm Closes on Monday.

I long to find one yam cake stall that can match the one I had in Hong Kong and I remembered 根叔 near my old neighborhood. Managed to pick up the signature yam cake and the beehoon and got a seat just beside 根叔 himself... Of course the good mannered elderly chef will ensure you are seated comfortably by clearing the table and asking if the food is up to the taste. His credentials of being an ex-chef of Shangri-la Hotel, Mouth Restaurant plus few other places cannot be undermined as he does have chefs from Tim Ho Wan and other famous personalities coming to eat at his stall. Not having seen him for a while now, we manage to chat a bit.

His fried beehoon is slightly gravy wet 焖米粉 and different from the usual Cha Bee Hoon with lots of added anchovies and cabbage. It is not salty nor oily. Yam cake 芋头糕 is not as soft as the Hong Kong version but soft enough. It also has sweet and chilli sauce while the HK version is just soya sauce. Price $2.50-$3 Cheap and good enough for me...
They do a bit of upselling whenever possible to peddle other stuff from his stall.

Lamenting over the lack of descendants to succeed his business, he said he is expected to lose this skill for good. But he did have 2 disciples that prospered in Penang when they ventured on their own.

I would say I will try the porridge the next time I am there. He also advised me to pick up the 年糕 during Chinese New Year.

Moderator888
06-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Good for breakfast!

根叔美食世家 Blk 74 Toa Payoh Lor 4 Market and Food Centre. Opens 5.30am-1.30pm Closes on Monday.

I long to find one yam cake stall that can match the one I had in Hong Kong and I remembered 根叔 near my old neighborhood. Managed to pick up the signature yam cake and the beehoon and got a seat just beside 根叔 himself... Of course the good mannered elderly chef will ensure you are seated comfortably by clearing the table and asking if the food is up to the taste. His credentials of being an ex-chef of Shangri-la Hotel, Mouth Restaurant plus few other places cannot be undermined as he does have chefs from Tim Ho Wan and other famous personalities coming to eat at his stall. Not having seen him for a while now, we manage to chat a bit.

His fried beehoon is slightly gravy wet 焖米粉 and different from the usual Cha Bee Hoon with lots of added anchovies and cabbage. It is not salty nor oily. Yam cake 芋头糕 is not as soft as the Hong Kong version but soft enough. It also has sweet and chilli sauce while the HK version is just soya sauce. Price $2.50-$3 Cheap and good enough for me...
They do a bit of upselling whenever possible to peddle other stuff from his stall.

Lamenting over the lack of descendants to succeed his business, he said he is expected to lose this skill for good. But he did have 2 disciples that prospered in Penang when they ventured on their own.

I would say I will try the porridge the next time I am there. He also advised me to pick up the 年糕 during Chinese New Year.

Congress
06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Good for breakfast!

Not easy to get yam cake for breakfast nowadays.

Paypal
06-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Certainly looks delicious!

adonis
06-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Don't eat any raw freshwater fish. A few men caught GBS and had their limbs amputated last year. Really scary!

dialtone
06-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Don't eat any raw freshwater fish. A few men caught GBS and had their limbs amputated last year. Really scary!

Thanks for sharing

coldcut3
06-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Open right up to 5.30am.

Tried this stall before. price not cheap

Aslute
07-05-2016, 12:38 AM

I like this type beehoon :)

AhSoonNo1
07-05-2016, 08:11 AM
You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan 友朋拉面饺子馆

Let us observe a minute of silence to appreciate You Peng’s creation – the quintessence of xiao long bao beauty.

There are at least a dozen of those luscious folds and just look at that mouth-watering cushion of soupy goodness. You Peng scores 10/10 for their XLB aesthetics, I swear it looks good enough to lay on. The conscientious effort to uphold the quality of their food is admirable.

If you don’t live in the West, you probably wouldn’t know Beauty World Shopping Centre had a Food Centre upstairs. (Ahh, Beauty World… Known for the innumerable maid agencies around that area that al-Jazeera condemns as 21st century slave trade in a first world country.) Now that you know, you could probably drop by when you’re around for some value for money Xiao Long Baos.

You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan’s XLBs and other dumplings are all handmade daily, ensuring freshness for customers. When picked up, the skin did not break, displaying its adequate firmness despite the thinness of the skin. The broth has a decent savoury stock that I felt could personally be more flavourful. The meat tasted good but was packed loosely, crumbling upon the first few bites and its texture, was too powdery for my liking.

I’ve patronised You Peng quite a few times for their Xiao Long Baos and Guo Tie/Jiao Zi, which in mu opinion is better than their XLB. So if you wanna know if I’ll come back again, yeah I already did.

You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan: Beauty World Centre, 144 Upper Bukit Timah Road, #04-23, Singapore 588177

AhSoonNo1
07-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Ye Chun Xiao Jiang Nan 冶春小江南

Fancy sucking soup through a straw from a Giant Xiao Long Bao? Yes? Then Ye Chun is where you need to be in, mate. This palm-sized crab roe and minced meat xiao long bao is made specially for xlb soup lovers – so go on stick it in! And suck it up!

Although Ye Chun Jiang Nan specialises in Jiang Nan delicacies and Jiang Nan style hand-pulled noodles, their xiao long baos are not bad. Their regular xiao long baos are a tad larger than the usual, with glossy resilient skin that’s smooth and enjoyably chewy. The meat holds well together and is tender to the bite.

But upon that first slurp, I was startled by how overly seasoned the soup was. Immersed in the stock, the meat was also too salty for my liking. The taste however was good if only they could reduce the saltiness then I’ll be here plenty more times for xiao long baos.

Disclaimer: I did not try their Steamed Minced Pork and Crab Roe Broth Dumplings (aka Giant XLB)

Ye Chun Xiao Jiang Nan: 6 Raffles Boulevard , Marina Square #02-181/182 , Singapore 039594 | Tel: 6333 4038

SilentReader888
07-05-2016, 10:54 AM
I silently creave for xiao long bao.

Fancy sucking soup through a straw from a Giant Xiao Long Bao? Yes? Then Ye Chun is where you need to be in, mate. This palm-sized crab roe and minced meat xiao long bao is made specially for xlb soup lovers – so go on stick it in! And suck it up!

NatalieDi
07-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Looks good and must go try.

You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan 友朋拉面饺子馆

Let us observe a minute of silence to appreciate You Peng’s creation – the quintessence of xiao long bao beauty.

There are at least a dozen of those luscious folds and just look at that mouth-watering cushion of soupy goodness. You Peng scores 10/10 for their XLB aesthetics, I swear it looks good enough to lay on. The conscientious effort to uphold the quality of their food is admirable.

If you don’t live in the West, you probably wouldn’t know Beauty World Shopping Centre had a Food Centre upstairs. (Ahh, Beauty World… Known for the innumerable maid agencies around that area that al-Jazeera condemns as 21st century slave trade in a first world country.) Now that you know, you could probably drop by when you’re around for some value for money Xiao Long Baos.

You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan’s XLBs and other dumplings are all handmade daily, ensuring freshness for customers. When picked up, the skin did not break, displaying its adequate firmness despite the thinness of the skin. The broth has a decent savoury stock that I felt could personally be more flavourful. The meat tasted good but was packed loosely, crumbling upon the first few bites and its texture, was too powdery for my liking.

I’ve patronised You Peng quite a few times for their Xiao Long Baos and Guo Tie/Jiao Zi, which in mu opinion is better than their XLB. So if you wanna know if I’ll come back again, yeah I already did.

You Peng Fresh Mian Jiao Zi Guan: Beauty World Centre, 144 Upper Bukit Timah Road, #04-23, Singapore 588177

Performer
07-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Ye Chun Xiao Jiang Nan: 6 Raffles Boulevard , Marina Square #02-181/182 , Singapore 039594 | Tel: 6333 4038

Bro also share all the addresses and made things easy for all of us.

Blackcloud
07-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Looks good and must go try.

Agree with you . :D

Congress
07-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Hungry I will come here.

Heinz
07-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Very good thread!! :D

Aibi
07-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Very good thread!! :D

Agree with you. Makes me hungry :)

ulticock
07-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Good place for supper :)

There are few other stalls there as well. Spoilt for choice :)

AhSoonNo1
07-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Ninja Bowl: Fun, tasty, one-bowl wonders

http://www.tnp.sg/m/makan/weets-eats/ninja-bowl-fun-tasty-one-bowl-wonders?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1462594179

One of the stars from the brunch menu is Ebisu ($18). I was impressed by the generous serving of seared Hokkaido scallops (I counted at least three) and mussels. With bread to sop up the sauce, it's a meal in itself.

The Kabuki ($14) features chicken thigh marinated in miso, soya sauce, garlic and honey, but the star is the delicious pickled beets. Its sweetness elevates this otherwise mundane bowl.

One bowl I will return for is Yasai ($16). The chunks of salmon poke (seasoned with a blend of soya and ponzu sauce) go well with the quinoa and egg. It's a tasty and satisfying meal.

WHAT Ninja Bowl

WHERE 15, Duxton Road

WHEN Weekdays, 9.30am to 7.30pm Weekends, 9am to 6pm

CALL 6222-8055

VanderBear
07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

http://www.tnp.sg/m/makan/weets-eats/ninja-bowl-fun-tasty-one-bowl-wonders?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1462594179

One of the stars from the brunch menu is Ebisu ($18). I was impressed by the generous serving of seared Hokkaido scallops (I counted at least three) and mussels. With bread to sop up the sauce, it's a meal in itself.

The Kabuki ($14) features chicken thigh marinated in miso, soya sauce, garlic and honey, but the star is the delicious pickled beets. Its sweetness elevates this otherwise mundane bowl.

One bowl I will return for is Yasai ($16). The chunks of salmon poke (seasoned with a blend of soya and ponzu sauce) go well with the quinoa and egg. It's a tasty and satisfying meal.

WHAT Ninja Bowl

WHERE 15, Duxton Road

CALL 6222-8055

Very tempting :D
Thanks for recommending

lunatart
08-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Hungry I will come here.

Was thinking the same :)

NatalieDi
08-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Looks great and value for money.

SilentReader888
08-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Salmon in the bowl of noodle. Very nice!

WHAT Ninja Bowl

WHERE 15, Duxton Road

CALL 6222-8055

Busker
08-05-2016, 08:31 AM
TS, thank you for sharing all these delicious food.

WHAT Ninja Bowl

WHERE 15, Duxton Road

CALL 6222-8055

Blackcloud
08-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Looks great and value for money.

Definitely looks delicious . Come lets go makan together . :D

VisaCredit
08-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Hungry I will come here.

Good choice of food here.

AhSoonNo1
08-05-2016, 11:54 AM
金興香港燒臘 Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat

Kim Heng HK Char Siew rice ($4.30)

Located at a more mellow part of Serangoon, Kim Heng Coffeshop houses one of the better Char Siew stalls in Singapore and it is fortunate that this coffeeshop was very easily accessible by bus. Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat’s char siew is tender, very flavourful and paired with sweet gravy and chunks of roasted pork belly, the char siew dish was sublime.

Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat: 214 Serangoon Avenue 4, #01-88, Singapore 550214 | Monday to Sunday 0830-1900 | Tel: 6283 3695

AhSoonNo1
08-05-2016, 11:55 AM
湘记烧肉叉烧饭 Xiang Ji Roasted Meat

Xiang Ji Roasted Meat is one notable Char Siew stall for they serve a good number of Char siew dishes from Wanton noodles to char siew rice. A fragrant roasted sauce is used instead of the conventional dark sauce to make the wanton noodles dish and the char siew they serve is tender, well-marinated and goes very nicely with the slightlysweet but mostly savoury sauce used.

Xiang Ji Roasted Meat: 302 Choa Chu Kang Ave 4, Singapore 680302 | Monday to Sunday 24 hours

Busker
08-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Always like to eat a good noodle in the morning.

Xiang Ji Roasted Meat is one notable Char Siew stall for they serve a good number of Char siew dishes from Wanton noodles to char siew rice. A fragrant roasted sauce is used instead of the conventional dark sauce to make the wanton noodles dish and the char siew they serve is tender, well-marinated and goes very nicely with the slightlysweet but mostly savoury sauce used.

Xiang Ji Roasted Meat: 302 Choa Chu Kang Ave 4, Singapore 680302 | Monday to Sunday 24 hours

VisaCredit
08-05-2016, 02:45 PM
One plate of char siew rice cost more than $4!

金興香港燒臘 Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat

Kim Heng HK Char Siew rice ($4.30)

Located at a more mellow part of Serangoon, Kim Heng Coffeshop houses one of the better Char Siew stalls in Singapore and it is fortunate that this coffeeshop was very easily accessible by bus. Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat’s char siew is tender, very flavourful and paired with sweet gravy and chunks of roasted pork belly, the char siew dish was sublime.

Kim Heng HK Roasted Meat: 214 Serangoon Avenue 4, #01-88, Singapore 550214 | Monday to Sunday 0830-1900 | Tel: 6283 3695

OleyOley
08-05-2016, 07:32 PM
One plate of char siew rice cost more than $4!

That's the trend nowadays :(

CumWhatMay
09-05-2016, 01:26 AM

The char siew looks good!!

AhSoonNo1
09-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Seng Kee Restaurant
467 Changi Road Singapore 419887

Opens 11am to 4am daily except Sunday 11am - 12am

Happy Mother's Day to All Mums on this group! Had a meal at good old Malaysian Tze Char type place at Seng Kee. As usual signatures are the kidney ‪#‎meesua‬ (very peppery and chilli hot not all may like), fried Johor beehoon plus a streamed fish and some fried veg to make the meal for 4 at about $50. Must say the steamed fish here will not match Zai Shun at Jurong but then again different cook styles. Johor beehoon is great as usual. Do try the white beehoon with La-la if you are there.

Deborah
09-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Nice food here. Must bring mama here.

Seng Kee Restaurant

Happy Mother's Day to All Mums on this group! Had a meal at good old Malaysian Tze Char type place at Seng Kee. As usual signatures are the kidney ‪#‎meesua‬ (very peppery and chilli hot not all may like), fried Johor beehoon plus a streamed fish and some fried veg to make the meal for 4 at about $50. Must say the steamed fish here will not match Zai Shun at Jurong but then again different cook styles. Johor beehoon is great as usual. Do try the white beehoon with La-la if you are there.

09-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Looks like "han zi hiok" tapioca leaves which hardly can get in Singapore.

Seng Kee Restaurant

RiyadMahrez
09-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Can we get this pudding anywhere?

Seng Kee Restaurant

Europa
09-05-2016, 12:27 PM
TS, thank you for posting food thread. Those hungry watching Euro 2016 can come here to know where have food.

KobeLakers
09-05-2016, 04:16 PM
TS, thank you for posting food thread. Those hungry watching Euro 2016 can come here to know where have food.

Good point bro

UltreMan
09-05-2016, 05:00 PM
The char siew looks good!!

The noodles too!!! :)

Bentaken
10-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Looks like "han zi hiok" tapioca leaves which hardly can get in Singapore.

I thought most zi char stalls selling, should be easy to get right?

Shinpad
10-05-2016, 01:31 AM

Best is if they have home delivery :D

AhSoonNo1
10-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Ah Orh Seafood Restaurant 亚乌海鲜楼

Not to be confused with the now retired Sin Ming road Ah Orh Seafood, this similarly named zhi char restaurant is actually opened by the elder brother and serves up authentic Teochew dishes as well.

The oyster omelette 豪蛋 ($13) here comes with especially plump and pre-boiled oysters that are clean tasting, in a gravy fried with oyster sauce. The egg omelette also doesn’t use starch at all, resulting in a particularly purist kind of oyster omelette.

Claimed by many as one of the best oyster omelettes in Singapore.

Ah Orh Seafood Restaurant: 115 Jalan Bukit Merah, Singapore 160115

AhSoonNo1
10-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Ang Sa Lee Fried Oyster 红砂厘

Fried Oyster 豪煎 ($4 /$5 / $8)

Huge oysters that aren’t overly fried, the ratio of egg to starch is excellent in this orh luak.

The starch is of such great consistency, it blends seamlessly with the fried eggs and you can can barely even taste the dull starch. That said, you are still getting the full-bodied texture of the omelette combined with egg. Sour and spicy chilli goes perfect with the plump oysters.

Ang Sa Lee also has an alternate version, the Fried Omelette 豪蛋 which is more expensive starting at $5 but uses purely eggs without any starch at all. This is Seth’s personal favorite oyster omelette.

Ang Sa Lee: 20 Kensington Park Road #01-33, Chomp Chomp Food Centre, Singapore 557269

Deborah
10-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Will go try with my friends after work. The oysters look big.

SilentReader888
10-05-2016, 10:25 AM
This shop serves the best oyster omelette.

Huge oysters that aren’t overly fried, the ratio of egg to starch is excellent in this orh luak.

The starch is of such great consistency, it blends seamlessly with the fried eggs and you can can barely even taste the dull starch. That said, you are still getting the full-bodied texture of the omelette combined with egg. Sour and spicy chilli goes perfect with the plump oysters.

Ang Sa Lee also has an alternate version, the Fried Omelette 豪蛋 which is more expensive starting at $5 but uses purely eggs without any starch at all. This is Seth’s personal favorite oyster omelette.

Ang Sa Lee: 20 Kensington Park Road #01-33, Chomp Chomp Food Centre, Singapore 557269

BeanCoffee
10-05-2016, 10:47 AM
This shop serves the best oyster omelette.

This stall had been ranked top in many food blogs.

Vespa0l
10-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Go easy on this dish because of lard.

Olympic2016
10-05-2016, 12:19 PM
These desserts look so nice. Hope tastes good too.

Blackcloud
10-05-2016, 12:29 PM

They will provide extra power .

CupiCupid
11-05-2016, 12:56 AM

One of my favourite dish

NatalieDi
11-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Tried this stall really delicious. I had the "mian sian" instead.

Sunday recommendation is "Ban Mian"

China Whampoa Homemade Noodles
Blk 91 Whampoa Drive #01-24 Whampoa Food Centre
Opening hours: Tue-Sun: 7am-2pm, closed on Mon
Price: from $3.00

tsuna7
11-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Tried this stall really delicious. I had the "mian sian" instead.

use to work nearby there!! the mian sian soak up the soup!! yummy!! plus a glass of ice cold sugar cane!! best combo! :D

AhSoonNo1
11-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Ah Boy Chicken Rice

Touted by many foodies as the best Chicken Rice in the West of Singapore, Ah Boy Chicken Rice truly lives up to its name. For just $3, you can enjoy excellent chicken meat that has soft, gelatinous skin with fragrant chicken stock-infused rice. Even local celebrity Chef Eric Teo has raved about this place.

The chili sauce is a bit on the watery side though, a more robust thicker sauce would have suited my taste more.

Ah Boy Chicken Rice: V6 Food Court, Blk 678A Choa Chu Kang Crescent, Singapore 681678

AhSoonNo1
11-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Curry Chee Cheong Fun @ Happy Hawker

An ingenious and different way of eating Chee Cheong Fun, the curry chee cheong fun available here at Bukit Batok does bring about a refreshing new taste. With the gravy being of the right level of thickness, i.e. not too spicy nor too watery, the combination of the Chee Cheong Fun strips and the curry flavour was one that was tangy and inviting.

This is indeed an interesting item of good eat in District 23.

Curry Chee Cheong Fun: Food @Happy Hawker, Blk 632 Bukit Batok Central, Singapore 650632

AhSoonNo1
11-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Fatty Weng 肥仔荣食摊

Fatty Weng is famous for their Sliced Fish Soup ($4/$5/$6), which although simple and plain-looking, is packed with flavour. The salted vegetable added gives that slightly savoury tartness which normal salt can’t achieve.

They also serve other local delights like carrot cake, orh luak and char kway teow which are all quite well-received. Wait can get pretty long during lunch timings, so get there early if you want to enjoy delicious fish soup.

Fatty Weng: Yong Xing Coffee Shop, Blk 155, Bukit Batok Street 11, #01-324, Singapore 650155

Moderator888
11-05-2016, 01:33 PM
This is interesting "Curry Chee Cheong Fun"

An ingenious and different way of eating Chee Cheong Fun, the curry chee cheong fun available here at Bukit Batok does bring about a refreshing new taste. With the gravy being of the right level of thickness, i.e. not too spicy nor too watery, the combination of the Chee Cheong Fun strips and the curry flavour was one that was tangy and inviting.

Curry Chee Cheong Fun: Food @Happy Hawker, Blk 632 Bukit Batok Central, Singapore 650632

Olympic2016
11-05-2016, 01:40 PM
This is a popular stall in BB area.

Fatty Weng 肥仔荣食摊

Fatty Weng is famous for their Sliced Fish Soup ($4/$5/$6), which although simple and plain-looking, is packed with flavour. The salted vegetable added gives that slightly savoury tartness which normal salt can’t achieve.

They also serve other local delights like carrot cake, orh luak and char kway teow which are all quite well-received. Wait can get pretty long during lunch timings, so get there early if you want to enjoy delicious fish soup.

Fatty Weng: Yong Xing Coffee Shop, Blk 155, Bukit Batok Street 11, #01-324, Singapore 650155

Busker
11-05-2016, 01:58 PM
The chicken looks like Tian Tian Chicken rice @ Maxwell Hawker Center.

Ah Boy Chicken Rice

Touted by many foodies as the best Chicken Rice in the West of Singapore, Ah Boy Chicken Rice truly lives up to its name. For just $3, you can enjoy excellent chicken meat that has soft, gelatinous skin with fragrant chicken stock-infused rice. Even local celebrity Chef Eric Teo has raved about this place.

The chili sauce is a bit on the watery side though, a more robust thicker sauce would have suited my taste more.

Ah Boy Chicken Rice: V6 Food Court, Blk 678A Choa Chu Kang Crescent, Singapore 681678

ScoreBoard
11-05-2016, 02:01 PM
This is interesting "Curry Chee Cheong Fun"

Never tried before.

TS, thank you for sharing all the nice food.

SilentReader888
11-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Confirm to try soon!

Gingersnaps
11-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Ah Boy Chicken Rice

Looks good, must try :D

AhSoonNo1
11-05-2016, 06:15 PM
For those shell fish lover and happened to visit Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Tôm Tép Quán - Nguyễn Cư Trinh

68/28 Nguyễn Cư Trinh, Quận 1, TP. HCM

https://www.facebook.com/FoodyVietnam/videos/924941697633361/

Ốc mâm

hiccup
11-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Big oysters are juicy :D

Daiso2
11-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Never tried before.

TS, thank you for sharing all the nice food.

Me too. Should go and try :)

Pogba
11-05-2016, 10:42 PM

Looks good. This is not local dish right?

Angeline1716
12-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Very delicious thread.

AhSoonNo1
12-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Looks good. This is not local dish right?

Definitely local dish.

Deborah
12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
I love shell fish but too bad cannot get so many types here. Arrange a trip fly to HCM.

For those shell fish lover and happened to visit Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Tôm Tép Quán - Nguyễn Cư Trinh

68/28 Nguyễn Cư Trinh, Quận 1, TP. HCM

https://www.facebook.com/FoodyVietnam/videos/924941697633361/

Ốc mâm

ScoreBoard
12-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I love shell fish but too bad cannot get so many types here. Arrange a trip fly to HCM.

Me too but scared of hepatitis.

DavidOrtiz
12-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Always love to eat chicken rice and tender meat.

Ah Boy Chicken Rice

Europa
12-05-2016, 12:02 PM
The chicken looks like Tian Tian Chicken rice @ Maxwell Hawker Center.

Tian Tian Chicken Rice is the benchmark in Singapore.

AhSoonNo1
12-05-2016, 01:39 PM
All-Day Breakfast Places in Singapore That’ll Make You Wish Lunch and Dinner Never Existed

Arteastiq (Plaza Singapura)

Arteastiq, an elegant teahouse, definitely caters to the more sophisticated tai tai crowd. With dish names like Allegory of Love and Aphrodite, it’s sure enough testament to my statement. Arteastiq has weekday brunch specials between 11am – 1.30pm, priced at $16 and up that come with free specialty tea. Their weekday brunch specials actually features some of the most popular dishes from their all-day ala carte menu such as The Prince of Monte Carlo – Short Ribs Croque Monsiuer at only a fraction of its original price.

So if you’re planning on coming to Arteastiq and want to get the best deals, I’d recommend coming between their brunch hours. Well, of course if you’re a big spender, visit at any time of the day and there’ll still be breakfast/brunch foods (just set at a higher price).

Arteastiq: 68 Orchard Road, #03-70/72, Plaza Singapura, Singapore 238839 | Tel: 6336 0951

Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm (Daily)

AhSoonNo1
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
All-Day Breakfast Places in Singapore That’ll Make You Wish Lunch and Dinner Never Existed

Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar

A wonderful cafe that’s recently upped their menu ante, Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar serves breakfast food till 5pm daily amongst other wonderful gourmet food.

However, they do understand the power of breakfast foods and its irresistibility, so they’ve made an exception. They allow customers to request for breakfast foods after hours, if and only if, there aren’t many customers around.

The most outstanding element about their Big Breakfast ($18.90) was that on top of the usual eggs, sausages, bacon etc., they added caramelised watermelon. It was literally cooked watermelon, and was a mind-boggling experience for me because who eats warm watermelon?? Strangely, it worked. The watermelon balances out the saltiness of bacon and ties the breakfast together nicely.

Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar: 34A Clementi Rd, Singapore 129758 | Tel: 6464 0617

Opening Hours: Tue – Sun : 11:45am – 11:45pm| Mon: Closed

Blackcloud
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Always take in moderation. :)

bubblyduck
12-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar

A wonderful cafe that’s recently upped their menu ante, Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar serves breakfast food till 5pm daily amongst other wonderful gourmet food.

However, they do understand the power of breakfast foods and its irresistibility, so they’ve made an exception. They allow customers to request for breakfast foods after hours, if and only if, there aren’t many customers around.

The most outstanding element about their Big Breakfast ($18.90) was that on top of the usual eggs, sausages, bacon etc., they added caramelised watermelon. It was literally cooked watermelon, and was a mind-boggling experience for me because who eats warm watermelon?? Strangely, it worked. The watermelon balances out the saltiness of bacon and ties the breakfast together nicely.

Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar: 34A Clementi Rd, Singapore 129758 | Tel: 6464 0617

Opening Hours: Tue – Sun : 11:45am – 11:45pm| Mon: Closed

Looks good but the price is a bit high

Deborah
13-05-2016, 09:03 AM
This weekend ask my partner go try together. Thank you TS

Arteastiq (Plaza Singapura)

Arteastiq, an elegant teahouse, definitely caters to the more sophisticated tai tai crowd. With dish names like Allegory of Love and Aphrodite, it’s sure enough testament to my statement. Arteastiq has weekday brunch specials between 11am – 1.30pm, priced at $16 and up that come with free specialty tea. Their weekday brunch specials actually features some of the most popular dishes from their all-day ala carte menu such as The Prince of Monte Carlo – Short Ribs Croque Monsiuer at only a fraction of its original price.

So if you’re planning on coming to Arteastiq and want to get the best deals, I’d recommend coming between their brunch hours. Well, of course if you’re a big spender, visit at any time of the day and there’ll still be breakfast/brunch foods (just set at a higher price).

Arteastiq: 68 Orchard Road, #03-70/72, Plaza Singapura, Singapore 238839 | Tel: 6336 0951

Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm (Daily)

Vespa0l
13-05-2016, 10:34 AM
The big breakfast looks big portion.

Cheng’s Gourmet Food Bar

Logout
13-05-2016, 10:59 AM
The big breakfast looks big portion.

Certainly looked huge and tend to over-eat.

AhSoonNo1
13-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Best Pig’s Organ Soup 猪什汤 in Singapore So Delicious You’ll Praise The Lard

Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup

Established in 1955 by Koh Kee Teo, Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup is kept buzzing alive by his son and grandson.

The soup is freshly brewed daily with pork bones and mustard vegetable, it has a rich pork sweetness and the broth is clear. It is served with the usual ingredients like liver, stomach, lean meat and pork meatball.

A side dish that is highly raved about is its large intestine stuffed with glutinous rice, chestnut and pork belly ($3.50). A traditional snack that is rarely seen and prepared these days.

Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup: Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre, 30 Seng Poh Road #02-29 Singapore 168898 |Tuesday – Saturday: 8:30am – 3:30pm, 6pm – 8:30pm, Sunday: 8:30am – 3:30pm | Tel: 8113 7218 |

AhSoonNo1
13-05-2016, 12:10 PM

Say Seng Cooked Food

Say Seng Cooked Food is located in Albert Market & Food Centre. At 6pm the queue had already formed up to two tables away

Pig’s organ soup ($4), rice ($0.50), braised wild boar belly ($5).

I quickly dig in to find out what it tastes like—the peppery flavour masks a slightly pungent pork smell from the broth. It was cloudy due to the continuous boiling of the soup stock. While the serving was huge, the pork slices, liver, stomach and other ingredients were slightly tough and overcooked.

Tempted by the people ahead of me, I had to get my hands on the juicy braised wild boar belly, which is served from 4pm onwards. Lucky me to have gotten a plate of it, as it is said to be sold out very quickly. The braised belly lived up to its fame and had adequately infused in the gravy, which is causing me to salivate at this very moment while typing.

Say Seng Cooked Food: 270 Queen St #01-92, Albert Market & Food Centre, Singapore 180270 (Opp Fu Lou Shou) | Closed on Monday and Friday, opening hours: 12noon – 8pm

TomMaffo1ter
13-05-2016, 01:28 PM
The soup looks nutritious too

Say Seng Cooked Food

Pig’s organ soup ($4), rice ($0.50), braised wild boar belly ($5).

DavidOrtiz
13-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Top choice for my lunch today.

Established in 1955 by Koh Kee Teo, Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup is kept buzzing alive by his son and grandson.

The soup is freshly brewed daily with pork bones and mustard vegetable, it has a rich pork sweetness and the broth is clear. It is served with the usual ingredients like liver, stomach, lean meat and pork meatball.

A side dish that is highly raved about is its large intestine stuffed with glutinous rice, chestnut and pork belly ($3.50). A traditional snack that is rarely seen and prepared these days.

Koh Brother Pig’s Organ Soup: Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre, 30 Seng Poh Road #02-29 Singapore 168898 |Tuesday – Saturday: 8:30am – 3:30pm, 6pm – 8:30pm, Sunday: 8:30am – 3:30pm | Tel: 8113 7218 |

paula0x
13-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Supporting this thread.

AhSoonNo1
13-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Boss of famous bak chor mee stall in Bedok dies

LYDIA LAM

THE boss of a well-known bak chor mee stall in Bedok, who had sold his minced meat noodles in the area for 40 years, died on Wednesday from cancer.

Sim Chee Huat's stall Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian, at Block 85, Fengshan Market and Food Centre, is unique as it sold only soup versions and no "dry" option.

My Paper understands that the 65-year-old died of colorectal cancer after battling it since last year.

Yap Tiong Chye, 52, who has helped out at the stall for more than 30 years, told My Paper yesterday that Mr Sim was "a very good man", one who was "very serious about his noodles".

Mr Yap added that Mr Sim's sister, who has also helped out at the stall for about 30 years, would carry on the business.

The stall is currently closed and will reopen on Sunday from 2pm to 1am.

Chinese daily Lianhe Wanbao first broke the news in a report yesterday that said the hawker died at 2.14pm, leaving behind his wife and two daughters.

Stallholders at the popular hawker centre were shocked and saddened by his death.

My Paper understands that the owner of next-door competitor Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee is likely to pay his condolences at Mr Sim's funeral wake.

Wanbao reported it is being held at Block 918A, Hougang Avenue 9 until Saturday morning.

Long-time customer Simon Ho, 58, who has lived in the area for 30 years, said the bak chor mee stalls are a "permanent fixture" in the area.

Mr Ho, who is semi-retired, eats at Mr Sim's stall often and said he was "a very friendly guy".

Student Sharon Lau, 16, who has lived in the area for nine years, said Mr Sim's death was "saddening".

She added that she would continue eating from his stall if "the taste is the same".

A bowl of noodles from Mr Sim's stall costs $2.50 or $3 and is served with minced pork, lard and cut red chilli.

According to The Business Times, he had first learnt the craft from his father in 1976 when they were street hawkers in today's Simpang Bedok.

They moved to Bedok North Street 4 six years later.

[email protected]

BeanCoffee
13-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Rest in peace. At least his legacy will continue.

Boss of famous bak chor mee stall in Bedok dies

LYDIA LAM

THE boss of a well-known bak chor mee stall in Bedok, who had sold his minced meat noodles in the area for 40 years, died on Wednesday from cancer.

Sim Chee Huat's stall Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian, at Block 85, Fengshan Market and Food Centre, is unique as it sold only soup versions and no "dry" option.

My Paper understands that the 65-year-old died of colorectal cancer after battling it since last year.

Yap Tiong Chye, 52, who has helped out at the stall for more than 30 years, told My Paper yesterday that Mr Sim was "a very good man", one who was "very serious about his noodles".

Mr Yap added that Mr Sim's sister, who has also helped out at the stall for about 30 years, would carry on the business.

The stall is currently closed and will reopen on Sunday from 2pm to 1am.

They moved to Bedok North Street 4 six years later.

[email protected]

BitchBassy
13-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Rest in peace. At least his legacy will continue.

Wasted sia.

michelle535
13-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Very Yummy.

Deborah
14-05-2016, 08:19 AM
This is a great choice for lunch tomorrow.

AhSoonNo1
14-05-2016, 10:22 AM
D'Authentic Nasi Lemak

Blk 84 Marine Parade Central, #01-156 Marine Parade Central Mkt & Food Ctr

Lontong for breakfast this morning. Generous amt of ingredients & gravy tt suits my palate & all these for only $3. Ask for more chilli & mix it with the lontong gravy to add more oomph to the dish I also love the nasi lemak from this stall. Heard from friends tt the mee rebus from this stall is sedap too

D'Authentic Nasi Lemak: Made With Passion & Tradition

Driven by passion and strictly adhering to his family traditional recipe is the secret to make a sumptuous plate of Nasi Lemak and Mee Rebus, said Mr Sulaiman. On top of that, fresh ingredients are also essential. He has even honored his granny's recipe by naming it 'Granny's Mee Rebus Special'!

Both their Nasi lemak and Mee Rebus were quite tasty. Gravy was thick and rice was fragrant!

VisaCredit
14-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Worth to go down have a try! Thanks.

D'Authentic Nasi Lemak

Ahgor
14-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Not easy to eat a good longtong or mee rebus.

D'Authentic Nasi Lemak

Lontong for breakfast this morning. Generous amt of ingredients & gravy tt suits my palate & all these for only $3. Ask for more chilli & mix it with the lontong gravy to add more oomph to the dish I also love the nasi lemak from this stall. Heard from friends tt the mee rebus from this stall is sedap too

Blackcloud
14-05-2016, 12:19 PM
This is a great choice for lunch tomorrow.

Want to do lunch together ? I free tomorrow. :)

CircleLife
14-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Want to do lunch together ? I free tomorrow. :)

Do you know her?

Paypal
14-05-2016, 01:39 PM
The Nasi Lemak looks good too.

D'Authentic Nasi Lemak

Both their Nasi lemak and Mee Rebus were quite tasty. Gravy was thick and rice was fragrant!

Performer
14-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Not easy to eat a good longtong or mee rebus.

Mee rebus is my choice.

AhSoonNo1
14-05-2016, 03:37 PM
One of the Best Chicken Rice in Singapore You Can Find

Good Year Local Hainanese Chicken Rice Ball 庆丰年海南鸡饭团

Good Year serves traditional chicken rice balls which is quite hard to find in Singapore, and for many younger generations can be a novelty while the older crowd will find it nostalgic. Although chicken is decent, I find chicken rice balls to be starchy and mushy and much prefer the standard chicken rice. Still, it’s worth mentioning this stall for its uniqueness.

Other chicken rice ball stalls you can find in Singapore include Hainan Chicken Rice Ball at Jalan Besar and in the Malaysian Food Street at Resorts World Sentosa.

Address: Blk 111 Toa Payoh Lorong 1, Singapore 310111

Operating hours: 11am – 7pm (closed fri)

AhSoonNo1
14-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Xing Yun Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice 幸运海南起骨鸡饭

Located in the far west, I stumbled upon Xing Yun Chicken Rice one day when I was exploring Yuhua Market and Food Centre and decided to try it out. Tender and soft, chicken meat is a tad oily but rice has a fragrance and cooked perfectly. They specialize only in ‘white’ chicken meat, closing pretty early once stocks finish.

Address: Blk 347 Jurong East Avenue 1, Yuhua Market and Food Centre, Singapore 600347

Opening Hours: 7am – 4pm

Busker
14-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Will go for lunch with my family.

Good Year serves traditional chicken rice balls which is quite hard to find in Singapore, and for many younger generations can be a novelty while the older crowd will find it nostalgic. Although chicken is decent, I find chicken rice balls to be starchy and mushy and much prefer the standard chicken rice. Still, it’s worth mentioning this stall for its uniqueness.

Other chicken rice ball stalls you can find in Singapore include Hainan Chicken Rice Ball at Jalan Besar and in the Malaysian Food Street at Resorts World Sentosa.

Address: Blk 111 Toa Payoh Lorong 1, Singapore 310111

Operating hours: 11am – 7pm (closed fri)

RiyadMahrez
14-05-2016, 04:03 PM
The chicken looks tender and nice.

Xing Yun Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice 幸运海南起骨鸡饭

Located in the far west, I stumbled upon Xing Yun Chicken Rice one day when I was exploring Yuhua Market and Food Centre and decided to try it out. Tender and soft, chicken meat is a tad oily but rice has a fragrance and cooked perfectly. They specialize only in ‘white’ chicken meat, closing pretty early once stocks finish.

Address: Blk 347 Jurong East Avenue 1, Yuhua Market and Food Centre, Singapore 600347

Opening Hours: 7am – 4pm

AhSoonNo1
14-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Founder of famed Haron Satay stall dies

May 14, 2016 6:00am
BY NURUL ASYIKIN YUSOFF

One of Singapore's famed hawker masters has died.

Mr Haron Abu Bakar, 69, the founder of Haron Satay at East Coast Lagoon Food Village, died on Wednesday morning.

Mr KF Seetoh, founder of the Makansutra food guide, said: "Singapore has lost a makan icon."

Haron Satay, which has been featured extensively in food review websites, has consistently garnered food awards.Picked by a panel of food critics from The Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao, it was named a Singapore Hawker Master in the satay category in 2011.

It was also picked as a top choice in The Business Times' series on hawker food and emerged as a favourite of many in a poll conducted by Berita Harian two years ago.

According to a previous report by The Business Times, Haron Satay provided the satay for Singapore Airlines events in the old days, and was possibly even the inspiration for the airline's long-standing airborne satay service.

It also said the stall provided satay to the Istana.

Said Mr Seetoh: "I don't see anyone coming into the fray to fill up his spot, other than his family continuing his legacy."

Mr Seetoh, who also has a food column in The New Paper on Sunday, said he worked with Mr Haron when he was setting up the now-defunct Food Culture foodcourt at Far East Square about 10 years ago.

"He was a hard-working and earnest man who personally oversaw the projects with his family," Mr Seetoh said.

His daughter, Madam Harlina Haron (above), now runs the stall with her sister.

According to Madam Harlina Haron, 43, the second of Mr Haron's four children, her father had died of complications due to heart disease and kidney failure.

"He's been sick for a while, but his condition became worse in the last couple of years," she said.

Haron Satay was established 41 years ago when Mr Haron left his job as an officer with the fire brigade, said Madam Harlina.

It was set up with his wife, Madam Saedah Dobal, 59,and has operated from East Coast Lagoon Food Village ever since.

TAKE OVER

Madam Harlina took over the business together with her sister, Madam Shima Salim, 46, seven years ago when their father first fell ill.

When asked, Madam Harlina said she initially wanted to close the stall for a week or so, but could not do so as they have orders to fulfil. She said Haron Satay would be open by today.

Despite being surrounded by similar stalls, Haron Satay still gets snaking queues.

Madam Harlina told The Business Times that their recipe calls for the marinated meat to be grilled for five to seven minutes, without a shortcut.

Some customers love the satay so much, they even buy frozen sticks to take overseas.

"Our satay has gone to Dubai and Florida," Madam Harlina was reported as saying.

A fan closer to home, Madam Maslinda Masrol, 42, said: "My family and I have been to Haron Satay before and would go again. Not only is their satay juicy and scrumptious, they serve a very nice peanut sauce as well."

It is a good thing Haron Satay is family-run, she said, adding: "Hopefully his satay recipe will be passed on through the generations."

He's been sick for a while, but his condition became worse in the last couple of years.

- Madam Harlina Haron, who took over the business from her father seven years ago, when he first fell ill

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/founder-famed-haron-satay-stall-dies?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1463191391

Logout
15-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Another legend had passed away. RIP.

May 14, 2016 6:00am
BY NURUL ASYIKIN YUSOFF

One of Singapore's famed hawker masters has died.

Mr Haron Abu Bakar, 69, the founder of Haron Satay at East Coast Lagoon Food Village, died on Wednesday morning.

Mr KF Seetoh, founder of the Makansutra food guide, said: "Singapore has lost a makan icon."

Haron Satay, which has been featured extensively in food review websites, has consistently garnered food awards.Picked by a panel of food critics from The Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao, it was named a Singapore Hawker Master in the satay category in 2011.

It was also picked as a top choice in The Business Times' series on hawker food and emerged as a favourite of many in a poll conducted by Berita Harian two years ago.

According to a previous report by The Business Times, Haron Satay provided the satay for Singapore Airlines events in the old days, and was possibly even the inspiration for the airline's long-standing airborne satay service.

It also said the stall provided satay to the Istana.

Said Mr Seetoh: "I don't see anyone coming into the fray to fill up his spot, other than his family continuing his legacy."

Mr Seetoh, who also has a food column in The New Paper on Sunday, said he worked with Mr Haron when he was setting up the now-defunct Food Culture foodcourt at Far East Square about 10 years ago.

"He was a hard-working and earnest man who personally oversaw the projects with his family," Mr Seetoh said.

SilentReader888
15-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Very delicious chicken rice.

AhSoonNo1
15-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Boon Kee Wanton Noodles

Blk 448 Market and Food Centre Clementi Ave 3 (Clementi Central) #01-40 6.30am-4pm Closed on Sunday

Cantonese style ‪#‎wantonmee‬ with a large following judging by the queue. I would say the wantons are small but nicely flavored and the noodles are well-cooked by a younger generation. I must say the wanton ‪‎horfun‬ is very much like fine-cut Chee Cheong Fun w sweet sauce.

Price from $3. For me, it's a can try but won't crave for it.

DavidOrtiz
15-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Looks good should taste good.

Boon Kee Wanton Noodles

Blk 448 Market and Food Centre Clementi Ave 3 (Clementi Central) #01-40 6.30am-4pm Closed on Sunday

ScoreBoard
15-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Anyone wants to queue now?

Boon Kee Wanton Noodles

Europa
15-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Used to eat here when I was a kid. RIP Pak Haron.

His daughter, Madam Harlina Haron (above), now runs the stall with her sister.

According to Madam Harlina Haron, 43, the second of Mr Haron's four children, her father had died of complications due to heart disease and kidney failure.

"He's been sick for a while, but his condition became worse in the last couple of years," she said.

Haron Satay was established 41 years ago when Mr Haron left his job as an officer with the fire brigade, said Madam Harlina.

It was set up with his wife, Madam Saedah Dobal, 59,and has operated from East Coast Lagoon Food Village ever since.

TAKE OVER

Madam Harlina took over the business together with her sister, Madam Shima Salim, 46, seven years ago when their father first fell ill.

When asked, Madam Harlina said she initially wanted to close the stall for a week or so, but could not do so as they have orders to fulfil. She said Haron Satay would be open by today.

Despite being surrounded by similar stalls, Haron Satay still gets snaking queues.

Madam Harlina told The Business Times that their recipe calls for the marinated meat to be grilled for five to seven minutes, without a shortcut.

Some customers love the satay so much, they even buy frozen sticks to take overseas.

"Our satay has gone to Dubai and Florida," Madam Harlina was reported as saying.

A fan closer to home, Madam Maslinda Masrol, 42, said: "My family and I have been to Haron Satay before and would go again. Not only is their satay juicy and scrumptious, they serve a very nice peanut sauce as well."

It is a good thing Haron Satay is family-run, she said, adding: "Hopefully his satay recipe will be passed on through the generations."

He's been sick for a while, but his condition became worse in the last couple of years.

- Madam Harlina Haron, who took over the business from her father seven years ago, when he first fell ill

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/founder-famed-haron-satay-stall-dies?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1463191391

Vespa0l
15-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Bro, thank you for recommendation.

AhSoonNo1
15-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Roti Prata Encyclopedia: Guide to the Common Prata Menu in Singapore

http://sethlui.com/roti-prata-encyclopedia-singapore/

Roti Plaster

Technically an egg prata. But instead of having the egg inside, it is on top of your prata, sunny-side up style (kind of). Cool ain’t it?

Where to get it:
ENAQ: Block 303, Jurong East Street 32, Singapore 600303 | 24 hours

AhSoonNo1
15-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Prata Bomb

Prata Bomb is like a thicker version of the regular prata because it is coiled. As it has more layers and thickness, the inner part of the dough is harder for heat to reach. Hence upon biting into it, you’ll realise the insides are much softer while the surface is crisp and browned.

Also, with a Prata Bomb, Margarine and Sugar are hidden inside the coils (sometimes cheese too if you order cheese bomb) so you can imagine that amazing melting sensation of margarine, sugar and pastry (maybe cheese).

Other Prata Bomb flavours: Kaya, Honey

Where to get it:

Spize (their cheese bomb pictured above): 336 Bedok Road, Singapore 469512 | Tel: 6734 9194 | Website

The Roti Prata House: 246 Upper Thomson Road, Singapore 574370 | Tel: 64595260 |

ScoreBoard
15-05-2016, 04:01 PM
TS, thank you for posting Roti Plaster here.

Roti Plaster

Technically an egg prata. But instead of having the egg inside, it is on top of your prata, sunny-side up style (kind of). Cool ain’t it?

Where to get it:

jameschong1
15-05-2016, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=AhSoonNo1;13646094]My next dish is famous Tian Tian Chicken Rice

show u got bad taste & poor recommendation, show u just anyhow hamtan,
show u never eat good chicken rice rice or real hawker food before.
how qualify are u to recomend good to us?
the irriting thing about food boggers is they anyhow kai-siow just to get attention & cheap income.

vaic
15-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Prata Bomb

Prata Bomb is like a thicker version of the regular prata because it is coiled. As it has more layers and thickness, the inner part of the dough is harder for heat to reach. Hence upon biting into it, you’ll realise the insides are much softer while the surface is crisp and browned.

Looks delicious . :) Thanks for sharing. :)

AhSoonNo1
16-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Tissue/Paper prata

Super addictive super thin super crisp prata in a shape of a cone. The name tissue/paper prata comes from its thinness. Usually has a carmalised skin already, so it’s more of a sweet dessert prata than a savoury one.

Basically, think prata chips(/crisps) seasoned with sugar. Majority of Prata places sell this.

Where to get it:

Casuarina Curry Restaurant: 136 & 138 Casuarina Rd, Singapore 579524 | Tel: 6455 9093 | Website | 7AM-12AM

RK Eating House: 1 Kensington Park Rd, Singapore 557253 | 24 Hours

AhSoonNo1
16-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Coin Prata

Coin Prata is simply a smaller version of the plain prata and instead of being completely flat, the dough is rolled/twisted before frying. It tends to be crispier than the normal plain prata, not to mention also cuter looking.

Most prata places have this.

Where to get this:

Sin Ming Roti Prata: #01-51, Jin Fa Kopitiam, 24 Sin Ming Road, Singapore 328254 | Tel: 64533893 | Hours: 6AM-7PM

AhSoonNo1
16-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Lai Lai All Very Welcome Hor!

My name is Ah Soon No 1. My purpose here is to discuss food!

If you know where have nice and delicious food, please share them here. The topic is wide and covers best food found in Asean.

Please post the details:

1. Name of food
2. Photograph of food (if have)
3. Address where you ate the food.
4. Price of food.

Let us keep the thread active and pasted with only food discussion. Try not to post out of topic too much. Kum Siah Ah Hia!

Dear readers,

With reference to the first post above and comments received.

I admit I am not best person to recommend food in ASEAN which I had never claimed to be.

I ONLY recommend food based on what others tried before and is up to readers to to try out and feedback here.

If anyone feel unhappy with my choice of recommendation, by all means please skip my thread or post here your own choice.

Luckily, I have a group of followers and supporters here which I appreciate very much.

Note - One man's food is another man's poison.

SibueyJiaLat
16-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Dear readers,

I admit I am not best person to recommend food in ASEAN which I had never claimed to be.

I ONLY recommend food based on what others tried before and is up to readers to to try out and feedback here.

If anyone feel unhappy with my choice of recommendation, by all means please skip my thread or post here your own choice.

Luckily, I have a group of followers and supporters here which I appreciate very much.

Jialat!

Post food also received negative comment.

Bro Ah Soon, just post and I will support you.

Deborah
16-05-2016, 10:32 AM
TS, just ignore the negative post. Already put him in my Ignore List and list is growing. Will always support you.

Tissue prata is new to me. Should try one of these days.

Tissue/Paper prata

Super addictive super thin super crisp prata in a shape of a cone. The name tissue/paper prata comes from its thinness. Usually has a carmalised skin already, so it’s more of a sweet dessert prata than a savoury one.

Basically, think prata chips(/crisps) seasoned with sugar. Majority of Prata places sell this.

Where to get it:

Casuarina Curry Restaurant: 136 & 138 Casuarina Rd, Singapore 579524 | Tel: 6455 9093 | Website | 7AM-12AM

Moderator888
16-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Dear readers,

Bro, I shall support you and my sincere thanks to you for posting daily.

Better than those empty vessel who only talk is cheap.

Please ignore him.

Paypal
16-05-2016, 10:41 AM
TS, please continue with your food recommendation. I had enjoyed your thread so much that I discussed with friends regarding some food choices.

Kept me more informed and so much easier to know where to find them.

Thank you for working so hard.

Coin Prata

Coin Prata is simply a smaller version of the plain prata and instead of being completely flat, the dough is rolled/twisted before frying. It tends to be crispier than the normal plain prata, not to mention also cuter looking.

Most prata places have this.

Where to get this:

Sin Ming Roti Prata: #01-51, Jin Fa Kopitiam, 24 Sin Ming Road, Singapore 328254 | Tel: 64533893 | Hours: 6AM-7PM

Logout
16-05-2016, 11:01 AM
TS, please continue with your food recommendation. I had enjoyed your thread so much that I discussed with friends regarding some food choices.

Fully agreed with you.

TS, just ignore the idiot. No wonder he has negative points.

Thank you for your thread.

Blackcloud
16-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Dear readers,

You are doing a good job . I never realised that Singapore got so many good food. You can't please everybody .

NaMoLo
16-05-2016, 04:06 PM
This prata worth a try.

Tissue/Paper prata

Where to get it:

NaMoLo
16-05-2016, 04:06 PM
You are doing a good job . I never realised that Singapore got so many good food. You can't please everybody .

Fully agreed with you.

TS doing a great job. Will always support.

justl00king
17-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Dear readers,

Great thread, sarpok for foodies, 18upz! ;)

AhSoonNo1
17-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Taste of Japan, with a touch of Vietnam

http://www.thanhniennews.com/arts-culture/taste-of-japan-with-a-touch-of-vietnam-62212.html

Feeling uninspired in the kitchen? Tokyo-based chef Nihonbashi Yukari has a great piece of advice for you: try reinventing popular dishes with whatever ingredients that you love.

The 44-year-old chef, the winner of Iron Chef Japan 2002 and the owner of a worldwide-known restaurant in Tokyo, visited Ho Chi Minh City earlier this month to run a culinary seminar.

To the surprise of the guests, he created a mouth-watering menu within a short period of time combining both Japanese and Vietnamese ingredients and cooking styles.

Yukari encouraged Vietnamese home cooks and chefs to play with what they can find in local markets.

“I hope that there will be a new trend of localizing Japanese dishes in the city,” he said. “For example, the water spinach, which is popular in Vietnam, can be made into a flavorful Japanese cold soup."

“Try a new ingredient for a traditional recipe, and you will create a Japanese dish of your own.”

He added that Japanese cuisine is known for its simple yet distinct taste and can be adapted very well using local ingredients.

The event was part of a food promotion campaign sponsored by the Japanese ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

AhSoonNo1
17-05-2016, 09:59 AM
One of the 10 Best Nasi Briyani in Singapore That Are Burp-worthy

Mami Midah Briyani

Another Nasi Briyani gem in the East, Mami Midah Briyani is one of the best Malay-influenced Nasi Briyanis ($5) in town. Doused in thicker-than-usual curry and served with acar acar, the briyani strikes an impressive balance between sweet, sour and spicy! The rice even emits a fragrant masala scent.

Located near the MRT, Mami Midah is also extremely accessible. Just note that they usually start serving around 10:30am and finish around 4:00pm. They regularly update their Facebook too so I strongly advise all adventurous Nasi Briyani huntersto check that out before heading there.

Mami Midah Briyani: Eunos Block 4A Opp Eunos MRT | Tel: 9177 7153 | Website | Opening Hours: Tues – Sun, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm

AhSoonNo1
17-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Geylang Briyani Stall

Last but not least, a briyani list could never be complete without the Geylang Briyani Stall. Known for making its customers come back not once, or twice, but several times within a week, the Geylang Briyani Stall is a must-try. The owner is exceptionally fond of the art of making Nasi Briyanis. His passion clearly translates into his highly praised Briyani ($5).

The Geylang Briyani Stall‘s Nasi Briyani may look paler than your average Nasi Briyani but what it lacks in looks is certainly made up in taste. The rice is exceptionally pillow-like and the crunchy acar acar tickles your taste buds to a whole new level. The days when Fish Briyani is served are the best. The best times to go are after 11am and before 4pm.

Geylang Briyani Stall: Geylang Serai Market and Food Centre, 1 Geylang Serai, 402001, #02-146 | Tel: 9831-0574 | Opening Hours: Tues – Sun, 10am – 5pm

AhSoonNo1
17-05-2016, 10:06 AM
TS, just ignore the negative post. Already put him in my Ignore List and list is growing. Will always support you.

Tissue prata is new to me. Should try one of these days.

Bro, I shall support you and my sincere thanks to you for posting daily.

Better than those empty vessel who only talk is cheap.

Please ignore him.

Fully agreed with you.

TS, just ignore the idiot. No wonder he has negative points.

Thank you for your thread.

Fully agreed with you.

TS doing a great job. Will always support.

Great thread, sarpok for foodies, 18upz! ;)

Thank you so much for your strong support. I read you and will continue.

Today, I had posted some latest recommendations above.

NaMoLo
17-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Long q! Cannot be wrong choice.

Geylang Briyani Stall

Deborah
17-05-2016, 10:25 AM
This portion 2 person can share.

Mami Midah Briyani

Another Nasi Briyani gem in the East, Mami Midah Briyani is one of the best Malay-influenced Nasi Briyanis ($5) in town. Doused in thicker-than-usual curry and served with acar acar, the briyani strikes an impressive balance between sweet, sour and spicy! The rice even emits a fragrant masala scent.

Located near the MRT, Mami Midah is also extremely accessible. Just note that they usually start serving around 10:30am and finish around 4:00pm. They regularly update their Facebook too so I strongly advise all adventurous Nasi Briyani huntersto check that out before heading there.

Mami Midah Briyani: Eunos Block 4A Opp Eunos MRT | Tel: 9177 7153 | Website | Opening Hours: Tues – Sun, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Moderator888
17-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Japanese chef can really make a nice baguette sandwich.

Taste of Japan, with a touch of Vietnam

http://www.thanhniennews.com/arts-culture/taste-of-japan-with-a-touch-of-vietnam-62212.html

adonis
17-05-2016, 12:38 PM
A few Bangladeshi labourers told me that the nasi briyani in their country taste better than the nasi briyani in Singapore. Any comments?

Performer
17-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Long q! Cannot be wrong choice.

Fully agreed with you.

Performer
17-05-2016, 01:21 PM
A few Bangladeshi labourers told me that the nasi briyani in their country taste better than the nasi briyani in Singapore. Any comments?

I had tried once the nasi briyani prepared by foreign bangla workers many years ago. Their nasi briyani was fragrant and oily. The chicken was fried and eat with curry which was very spicy. So the bangla don't serve chicken in their curry but fried chicken. The curry was cooked separately with mutton.

Last year I had the similar type of nasi briyani at Little India at a shop house for S$7.00. The rice not as oily. Curry served without meat and you get a fried drumstick with some vegetable.

Taste is very individual.

Greenfrog
17-05-2016, 01:25 PM

oh my god, it is grossly overrated. i tried last week. the BCM is not bad. but no where near super good. Singaporeans queue for the hype sometimes.

GeniusLad
17-05-2016, 05:22 PM
oh my god, it is grossly overrated. i tried last week. the BCM is not bad. but no where near super good. Singaporeans queue for the hype sometimes.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. So no point to queue.

Congress
17-05-2016, 05:25 PM
I had tried once the nasi briyani prepared by foreign bangla workers many years ago. Their nasi briyani was fragrant and oily. The chicken was fried and eat with curry which was very spicy. So the bangla don't serve chicken in their curry but fried chicken. The curry was cooked separately with mutton.

Last year I had the similar type of nasi briyani at Little India at a shop house for S$7.00. The rice not as oily. Curry served without meat and you get a fried drumstick with some vegetable.

Taste is very individual.

Interesting and thank you for sharing.

ds88
17-05-2016, 09:49 PM
For Carrot Cake lovers, this guy tasted 58 plates

https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2016/01/28/best-carrot-cake-in-singapore/

xinxin88
18-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Boon Kee Wanton Noodles

Cantonese style ‪#‎wantonmee‬ with a large following judging by the queue. I would say the wantons are small but nicely flavored and the noodles are well-cooked by a younger generation. I must say the wanton ‪‎horfun‬ is very much like fine-cut Chee Cheong Fun w sweet sauce.

Price from $3. For me, it's a can try but won't crave for it.

This wanton noodle stall have been here for many many years already, i think more than 20 years. It's still taste quite nice to me.

Linkus
18-05-2016, 01:07 AM
Japanese chef can really make a nice baguette sandwich.

Thanks for your upz earlier.
Returning to you +13.

Good day. 24699

AhSoonNo1
18-05-2016, 09:42 AM
For Carrot Cake lovers, this guy tasted 58 plates

https://rubbisheatrubbishgrow.com/2016/01/28/best-carrot-cake-in-singapore/

Thank you for sharing.

Moderator888
18-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your upz earlier.
Returning to you +13.

Good day. 24699

Thank you very much.

SYTBigBoobLover
18-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Favor returned. Cheers...

Thank you for sharing.

AhSoonNo1
18-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Best Rojak Places That Won’t Give You Any Mixed Feelings

Lau Hong Ser Rojak

http://sethlui.com/12-best-rojak-places-singapore/

Price starts from $2 onwards, plate shown above is $6.

Lau Hong Ser Rojak at Dunman Road Food Centre is pretty popular. The stall only starts running from 5pm onwards and even then, orders are streaming in way before he starts. I got there 15 minutes after 5pm and had to wait a short while for my order (around 20 minutes). The wait can go up to an hour though if you come any later.

But that’s totally okay because good things are worth waiting for, besides, the stall uncle was excruciatingly sweet and kept apologising for the waiting time.

I like how Lau Hong Ser separates the grilled stuff from the plate of rojak and serves it with another bowl of sauce, so as to not have it soggy. This way, ingredients won’t be over-drenched and customers get to choose how saucy they want it. Pineapple slices are really fresh and the sauce is viscous, being a little bit on the spicier side. Do let him know if you’re not a big fan of spice.

Lau Hong Ser Rojak: Dunman Road Food Centre Stall #02-14, Singapore 424768 | Tel: +65 6346 6519

AhSoonNo1
18-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Tow Kwar Pop

Price starts from $4 onwards, plate shown above is $5.

With a decoratively cute signage, there’s no way you can ever miss Tow Kwar Pop in Tiong Bahru Market, on the second level where all the food lies. The tau kwa served here is still hand-grilled, I like how they stick to traditions and simply because of that, the tau kwa used in the rojak is phenomenal, albeit life changing.

Think airy and fluffy on the inside, charred fragrant and crispy on the outside. Sandwiched between are tow gheys (beansprouts) that adds textures and it helps in balancing out the heavy rojak sauce. Served with xue yu (cod fish) slices instead of cuttlefish because their supplier ran out of stock, there is an optional extra serving of sauce on the side as well for those who prefer a ‘wetter’ rojak.

One of the more nicely plated rojaks I’ve seen and served with chopsticks, making it easy to eat. The sauce was slightly cold and its saltier than usual, where one can vividly taste the prawn paste and not be overpowered by sugar.

Tow Kwar Pop: Tiong Bahru Market, 3o Seng Poh Road, #02-06, Singapore 168898

AhSoonNo1
18-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Power Rojak Bandung

Prices start from $3.50 onwards

Power Rojak Bandung is nestled inside Ayer Rajah Food Centre, they’re usually open from 12pm but closing time varies. Do check out their Facebook page for updates before heading down as operationg days might be a bit fickler.

What makes Power Rojak Bandung really special is in their modification of adding bee hoon and spinach into the dish. Yes, you heard me right, Bee hoon and spinach in rojak.

Showered with generous serving of peanuts and delectable sauce, Power Rojak Bandung is one rojak to try for the creatives out there who want something different.

Power Rojak Bandung: 503 W Coast Dr, Singapore 120503

DavidOrtiz
18-05-2016, 04:01 PM
This rojak looks great. Love the roasted "sotong"

Lau Hong Ser Rojak

Price starts from $2 onwards, plate shown above is $6.

Lau Hong Ser Rojak at Dunman Road Food Centre is pretty popular. The stall only starts running from 5pm onwards and even then, orders are streaming in way before he starts. I got there 15 minutes after 5pm and had to wait a short while for my order (around 20 minutes). The wait can go up to an hour though if you come any later.

But that’s totally okay because good things are worth waiting for, besides, the stall uncle was excruciatingly sweet and kept apologising for the waiting time.

I like how Lau Hong Ser separates the grilled stuff from the plate of rojak and serves it with another bowl of sauce, so as to not have it soggy. This way, ingredients won’t be over-drenched and customers get to choose how saucy they want it. Pineapple slices are really fresh and the sauce is viscous, being a little bit on the spicier side. Do let him know if you’re not a big fan of spice.

Lau Hong Ser Rojak: Dunman Road Food Centre Stall #02-14, Singapore 424768 | Tel: +65 6346 6519

rtkc75
18-05-2016, 08:21 PM
ABC Market at Bukit Merah. Hawker Center behind Ikea.
Wow Wow West Western Food.
Cheap, Good & portion is big.
Beef Steak $8.00
Chicken, Fish $7.00

How to attached picture here ah?

DavidOrtiz
19-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Beef Steak $8.00
Chicken, Fish $7.00

Thank you for sharing.

MuttonChicken
19-05-2016, 11:21 AM
This rojak is delicious.

Tow Kwar Pop

Deborah
19-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Really power Rojak.

Power Rojak Bandung

Power Rojak Bandung: 503 W Coast Dr, Singapore 120503

Moderator888
19-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Love this Tiong Bahru market has very nice good food.

Tow Kwar Pop

Price starts from $4 onwards, plate shown above is $5.

With a decoratively cute signage, there’s no way you can ever miss Tow Kwar Pop in Tiong Bahru Market, on the second level where all the food lies. The tau kwa served here is still hand-grilled, I like how they stick to traditions and simply because of that, the tau kwa used in the rojak is phenomenal, albeit life changing.

Think airy and fluffy on the inside, charred fragrant and crispy on the outside. Sandwiched between are tow gheys (beansprouts) that adds textures and it helps in balancing out the heavy rojak sauce. Served with xue yu (cod fish) slices instead of cuttlefish because their supplier ran out of stock, there is an optional extra serving of sauce on the side as well for those who prefer a ‘wetter’ rojak.

One of the more nicely plated rojaks I’ve seen and served with chopsticks, making it easy to eat. The sauce was slightly cold and its saltier than usual, where one can vividly taste the prawn paste and not be overpowered by sugar.

AhSoonNo1
19-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Balestier Road Hoover Rojak

Starts from $4 onwards, plate shown above is $7

And finally we are here with Balestier Road Hoover Rojak, the critically acclaimed one. The queue was rather long (around 30 minutes) and by the time I got my rojak, I was all ready to delve into it and stuff myself silly. Hoover Rojak doesn’t use cuttlefish, instead they serve jellyfish in their rojak.

It’s no wonder people would queue for this, their sauce is definitely something else. It has julienned lime, which adds zest to the otherwise sweet and rich sauce. Coupled with the green mango slices, the special penang prawn sauce is now a blend of both sweet and tang, a match made in heaven. Complementing that is the fresh youtiao, fresh fruits and aromatic peanut shavings. Mmhm.

Balestier Road Hoover Rojak: Whampoa Wet Market & Food Centre, 90 Whampoa Dr, Singapore 320090 | Tel: +65 6253 0137

AhSoonNo1
19-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Rainbow Cheese Toasties In Singapore Lets You Taste The Rainbow

Following the success of Hong Kong Cafe KALA Toast’s ‘unicorn toastie’, Singapore now has it’s very own Rainbow Cheese Toastie ($9) as well, created by Epicurious cafe at Robertson Quay.
The owner even brings out the rainbow cheese toastie in a little unicorn getup.
The thick toast looks pretty unassuming from the outside, but once you tear it open you’ll see a splash of bright colors from the melted cheese within.
There is currently four colors of cheese in this rainbow toastie: Pink (beetroot), Orange (carrot), Green (spinach) and Violet (red cabbage and eggplant). There is apparently a blue colored cheese being developed to add to the color palette, but its still in the works.

There is currently four colors of cheese in this rainbow toastie: Pink (beetroot), Orange (carrot), Green (spinach) and Violet (red cabbage and eggplant). There is apparently a blue colored cheese being developed to add to the color palette, but its still in the works.

The colorful rainbow effect is mostly from natural ingredients as mentioned, but admittedly there is just a splash of food coloring to make the colors pop more.

Arriving warm and crispy, the cheese melt is mainly a blend of mozzarella and parmesan to give it that stretchable texture. It is also flavoured with truffle oil for some extra oomph since these cheeses aren’t naturally very sharp in taste.

The buttery toastie itself is reasonably tasty as a snack, with prominent flavours coming from the truffle oil and spinach, however don’t expect to taste all the flavours used in the cheese which is more for coloring than anything – it would be weird anyway with so many different flavours.

There you have it, for $9++ you can get your own Rainbow Cheese Toastie right here in Singapore. You can get a set with beetroot salad and fries for $16++ too. Time to stock up on your instagram photos!

Expected Damage: $9++ per toastie
Epicurious: 60 Robertson Quay, #01-02 The Quayside, 238252 | Tel: 6734 7720

CircleLife
19-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Very interesting rainbow toast!

Rainbow Cheese Toasties In Singapore Lets You Taste The Rainbow

The thick toast looks pretty unassuming from the outside, but once you tear it open you’ll see a splash of bright colors from the melted cheese within.

Expected Damage: $9++ per toastie
Epicurious: 60 Robertson Quay, #01-02 The Quayside, 238252 | Tel: 6734 7720

CircleLife
19-05-2016, 04:26 PM
The number 1 Rojak stall.

Balestier Road Hoover Rojak

Starts from $4 onwards, plate shown above is $7

And finally we are here with Balestier Road Hoover Rojak, the critically acclaimed one. The queue was rather long (around 30 minutes) and by the time I got my rojak, I was all ready to delve into it and stuff myself silly. Hoover Rojak doesn’t use cuttlefish, instead they serve jellyfish in their rojak.

It’s no wonder people would queue for this, their sauce is definitely something else. It has julienned lime, which adds zest to the otherwise sweet and rich sauce. Coupled with the green mango slices, the special penang prawn sauce is now a blend of both sweet and tang, a match made in heaven. Complementing that is the fresh youtiao, fresh fruits and aromatic peanut shavings. Mmhm.

Balestier Road Hoover Rojak: Whampoa Wet Market & Food Centre, 90 Whampoa Dr, Singapore 320090 | Tel: +65 6253 0137

ahpiao
19-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I eat at this stall more than 20 years ago. One of my friend just love the sui jiao though i never really like it.
Actually not cantonese style, the sauce is tomato based, more toward Singapore style.
They use a different sauce (dark-based) for the soya chicken noodle.

Any review for the carrot cake, pork porridge, yong tau foo and satay in the same hawker centre?
These few stall always long queue.
Boon Kee Wanton Noodles

I think standard drop after children take over or maybe my taste bud become more selective now.
In the past they close early around lunch but nowsaday you can find stall still open at 4pm.
Once i eat at late afternoon, the noodle overcook become soggy.
This wanton noodle stall have been here for many many years already, i think more than 20 years. It's still taste quite nice to me.

ahpiao
19-05-2016, 10:59 PM
To jameschong1,
Why don't you recommend some better chicken rice for viewer to try and comment?
I am a chicken rice lover too. These days tian tian chicken rice have many franchise stall, not every stall have the same standard.
But their chilli still one of the best.

show u got bad taste & poor recommendation, show u just anyhow hamtan,
show u never eat good chicken rice rice or real hawker food before.
how qualify are u to recomend good to us?
the irriting thing about food boggers is they anyhow kai-siow just to get attention & cheap income.

I agree everyone taste bud is different, many people retain the childhood taste for the food they eat near their neighbourhood.
Out of curiosity, I want to ask this question, have u taste the food you recommend? Or just copy and paste from some makansutra or ieatshootpost website?

But anyway it is a nice food thread. As a food lover, i hope to see more comment from people who have taste the food.
Keep up the good work.

rtkc75
19-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Meat n’ Chill: $27 for a 500g Steak, and a Crazily Affordable Meat Platter at Bukit Timah

http://sethlui.com/meat-n-chill-western-bukit-timah-singapore/
https://www.facebook.com/meatnchill/

Meat N Chill
805, Bukit Timah Road, #01-04, Singapore 279883
Bukit Timah

Thks for sharing . Looks gd.

sabokings
20-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Beef Steak $8.00
Chicken, Fish $7.00

are you sure cheap :rolleyes:

in hawker centres, food are supposed to sell cheap to the general public but many hawkers took advantage of low rental and set the price same as food court in shopping ctr selling, what a ripped off :mad: