The Asian Commercial Sex Scene  

Go Back   The Asian Commercial Sex Scene > For stuff you can't discuss with your Facebook Account > Adult Discussions about SEX

Notices

Adult Discussions about SEX Misc chit chat about sex, whores, girls, love and lust. This section is a ZAP FREE zone.

User Tag List

Old 28-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1292 / Power: 9
JasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud of
Re: BEST FOOD DISCUSSION - Palatable, Savory, Delicious Food Found In ASEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET View Post

Kok Kee Turtle Soup 国记山瑞

Blk 22, Lorong 7 Toa Payoh (Kim Keat Palm Market & Food Centre) #01-39, Singapore 310022

Opening Hours: 8.30 AM – 2.30 PM (closed on Sundays)
Tel: 90599055
Cheapest turtle soup around, but the soup can be improved. Needs to add pepper and a lot of, a lot of rice wine (much more than any other turtle soup stall) to bring out the taste.
Old 28-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Samster

JasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud ofJasonJG has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfax View Post
I like this stall. Nice share bro
Prefer Stall no.11, Chia Keng Fried Hokkien Mee in Chomp Chomp. It was once voted in a Straits Times poll to be the best in Singapore, although that might be an overstatement for many.

I like Nam Sing, Swee Guan and Lor 29 Geylang too. Another good choice (but not included in the list) is the XO sauce oyster Hokkien Noodles at Kim's in Joo Chiat (note, I emphasise that its the XO oyster version that I enjoy, not the ordinary version which they also sell.)

Of course, taste is subjective, which makes drawing up any top 5 list of any food item contentious. My own list will comprise Chia Keng, Nam Sing, Geylang Lor 29, Swee Guan and Kim's XO oyster hokkien mee, in that order.

Last edited by JasonJG; 28-08-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 28-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Samster

As for the chilli crab list, the people at Roland Restaurant in Marine Parade Central will probably be insulted because they are purportedly the inventor/creator/originator of the chilli crab dish.
Old 28-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 81 / Power: 5
stimulus deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy

S'pore's cheapest satay at 30 cents a stick still in operation

Address: Block 57 Geylang Bahru Singapore 330057
Opening hours: Evening only

The business operates from 7pm to about 10pm, but do expect to wait as the owner tends to work slightly slower.

Old 28-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 75 / Power: 5
onset deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy

30cts satay cheap. But travel there problem.
Operate night.
Old 28-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Samster

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 4571 / Power: 15
ET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond repute

5 Best Chicken Rice In Singapore

1. Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice

Fragrant and tasty rice: Rice sounds simple, but is the cornerstone of Tian Tian. The rice is cooked in the chicken stock to perfection – full of flavour and oily as the way Hainanese chicken rice should be.
Reasonable prices: A decent portion of chicken and rice plus a bowl of chicken broth costs 5.00 Singapore dollars. Basically, it is the usual price for any hawker foods in Singapore. But we can say that Tian Tian’s price is a steal for its good quality and taste.
Best for: Michelin-rated Hawker chicken rice
Price: $5 per plate
Address: 1 Kadayanallur Street, #01-10/11 Maxwell Food Centre
Phone: (65) 9691 4852
Opening hours: Tue to Sun: 11:00 – 20:00 (or earlier if sold out)

2. Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice

A place to have chicken rice day and night: It is not difficult to find a place with good chicken rice for lunch or diner in Singapore. But it not easy to find a good one for late night dining. Opened till 04:30, Boon Tong Kee is where we can have tasty chicken rice at any time, even in the middle of the night.
True taste of chicken rice in a comfortable restaurant: For those who want to taste a good plate of chicken rice but cannot stand the sweltering temperatures in Singapore, Boon Tong Kee is an ideal choice. The place is air-conditioned, clean, bright and comfortable.
An extensive menu that goes beyond chicken rice: Boon Tong Kee offers not only chicken rice but also a good selection of Chinese home-style foods. It is convenient for those who wish to have more foods than just chicken rice in one meal.
Best for: Late-night chicken rice
Price: $5 per single portion
Address: 399 /401 /403 Balestier Road, Singapore 329801
Phone: (65) 6254 3937
Opening hours: Mon – Sat: 11:00 – 16:45, 17:30 – 04:30 Sun: 11:00 – 16:45, 17:30 – 03:00

3. Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice

One of the best dipping sauce for chicken rice: The combination of chilli sauce, ginger paste and dark soy sauce makes up a perfect condiment to go with chicken rice. No doubt, this is the thing that makes the chicken rice meal. And Wee Nam Kee is famous for its outstanding sauce, a mixture of spicy chilli sauce, yellow pasty ginger and silky, thick and less salty dark soy sauce.
A place to have a plate of mixed chicken: When it comes to chicken rice in Singapore, the steamed white chicken is often seen but there is another version offered at some restaurants - roasted chicken. And just because the roasted chicken is done so nicely at Wee Nam Kee, a lot of diners want to have both the steamed and roasted chicken in one plate.
Best for: A mixed plate of steamed & roasted chicken rice
Price: $4.80 (single portion)
$8.50 (a quarter of chicken)
$16 (half chicken)
Address: 101 Thomson Road, #01-08 United Square, Singapore 307591
Phone: (65) 6255 6396
Opening hours: Daily 10:30 – 22:00

4. Loy Kee Best Chicken Rice

Loy Kee Special Set - a balanced meal: Loy Kee Special Set is a highlight at Loy Kee Best Chicken Rice. Including chicken, rice, vegetables, and soup served in a wooden tray, this special set offers a balanced way of having chicken rice. The portion is generous enough for a big eater.
A place to have chicken rice for breakfast: If you have appetite for chicken rice in the morning, Loy Kee could be your culinary destination. There are a number of chicken rice places along Balestier road, but Loy Kee is the one opening earliest.
Best for: Chicken rice in a nostalgic ambience
Prices: $7 (special set)
$15 (half chicken)
$28 (whole chicken)
Address: 342 Balestier Road, Singapore 329774
Phone: (65) 6252 2318
Opening hours: Daily 09:30 - 22:30

5. Chatterbox

Chicken rice at a 5 star hotel: Situated on level 5 of Mandarin Orchard, a 5 star hotel in the heart of Orchard, Chatterbox offers a high-end dining experience for a local's everyday dish. It is a place to treat oversea guests a traditional meal in a posh ambience.
A wine list to go with chicken rice: For those who love to have either red wine or white wine to enhance the dish and the dining experience, Chatterbox offers a wine list to satisfy such needs. And if you want something more, the hotel bar is at your service.
Best for: A luxury meal of chicken rice
Prices: $36 per set
Address: Level 5 Mandarin Orchard Hotel, 333 Orchard Road
Phone: (65) 6831 6291
Opening hours: Sun – Thu: 11.00 – 01:00 Fri, Sat & PH: 10:00 – 02:00

Last edited by ET; 28-08-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 28-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Samster

ET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond reputeET has a reputation beyond repute

12 Best Char Kway Teow In Singapore

Hai Kee Teochew Char Kuay Teow
11 Telok Blangah Crescent #01-102 Singapore 090011
Opening Hours: 5:30pm – 9pm (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun

Heading to Telok Blangah Crescent Food Centre in the evenings is not what many people will do, especially when there are a lot of hawker stalls already closed there.

But you would spot a line of people waiting patiently (or perhaps hear the sound of the frying on the wok. The cling cling clang clang).

Hai Kee used to be from Margaret Drive Food Centre, and many regulars who have been eating this since young commented it still tasted just as good.

Even if you spot ‘just’ 5-10 customers in the line, you may have to wait at least 30 minutes because uncle fries this up PLATE BY PLATE, unhurriedly in his own style and rhythm. Quite a joy to watch really.

This was one plate that gave me the “wow” on the first bite. It is on a different level all together… the wok-hei, smokiness, the moist texture, and that CRUNCH of the pork lard is all delicious-ness.

Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee 欧南园炒粿條面
Hong Lim Food Centre #02-17, 531A Upper Cross Street, Singapore 051531
Opening Hours: 6am – 3:30pm (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun, PH

This is one plate of Char Kway Teow I have eaten since young, though not so frequently now because the queue is superbly long, especially after it was listed in the Michelin Bib Gourmand.

While it is not as smoky or oily than his father’s, Mr Ng Chin Chye’s skills of executing a plate of Char Kway Teow with wok hei cannot be undermined.

He fries every plate individually, squeezing an exact 42 squeezes of a special mixture made of soy sauce and fish sauce.

Its characteristic is its rather eggy and soft texture, lots of cockles added.

Watching him fry was a joy – always with a smile and often dancing, and you wonder how long it would continue for as his children are not likely to take over the business.

Hill Street Fried Kway Teow 禧街炒粿條
16 Bedok South Road #01-41, Singapore 460016
Tel: +65 6442 1763
Opening Hours: 10:30am – 4:45pm (Tue – Sat), Closed Sun, Mon

Many local foodies claim it as one of the top 10 Char Kway Teow in Singapore, if not the best.

After the founder Mr Ng Chang Siang passed away, the stall has been taken over by his son – and you could also find his aunt doing the frying.

Its Fried Kway Teow ($3.50, $4.00) contains some classic CKT ingredients such as yellow noodles, fresh cockles, egg, sweet lup cheong (Chinese sausage), along with crunchy bean sprouts and Chinese chives.

You cannot say that the portion is “generous” compared to many other stalls in Singapore, so I would recommend ordering the bigger portion.

For many years it’s been prepared via two-cycle stir-frying method. The first cycle involves wok-frying a large portion of kway teow noodles with some light soy sauce.

The noodles are transferred in batches into numerous bowls, and further divided into smaller portions for second cycle stir-frying. A darker soy sauce plus the main ingredients are added during the second cycle.

Here’s what I liked about it: it is packed with crunch from the bean sprouts and crispy pork lard bits; and there is good-enough wok-hei.

Meng Kee Fried Kway Teow
22A Havelock Road #01-07, Singapore 161022
Opening Hours: 9am – 6pm (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun

The stall has moved from the corner coffeeshop to nearby Havelock Food Centre #01-07.

It used to be manned by a father-and-daughter team, but the daughter has taken over the cooking. (I didn’t try the father’s version, so have no basis for comparison.)

Priced at $3, $4 and $5, this is what I would call a well-balanced plate. There was good wok-hei, not too wet or dry, tasty with the sauces though slightly on the sweet side. Quite satisfying, though may not warrant a trip to this part of the island for some.

There were some complaints on the cockles (too cooked) online, but I didn’t get that.

No. 18 Zion Road Fried Kway Teow
70 Zion Road #01-17 Zion Riverside Food Centre, Singapore 247792
Opening Hours: 12:30pm – 10pm (Mon – Sun)

Although its name is “No. 18 Zion Road”, the stall is really No. 17. The uncle who runs the stall has mastered the skill through the years of operation.

Take note though, the queue and wait can be quite long. Even if you spot a ‘reasonably short’ line of say 5 to 10 customers, Uncle Ho fries up each plate with effort, so be prepared to wait.

Their Char Kway Teow ($4, $5, $6, $8) is packed with robust flavours and a hint of spiciness with ladles crispy pork lard.

The kway teow (flat rice and egg noodles) is springy and full of wok hei, mingling with a medley of fresh juicy cockles, fish cake, crunchy bean sprouts, egg, and lup cheong (Chinese sausage) blended in a black sauce and topped with gu chai (Chinese chives).

If you love cockles, you will love the many pieces that are in your plate.

On the flipside, I found it slightly on the greasy side (but I guess cannot be avoided that much), and it could have more of that sweet-dark sauce flavour when I last visited recently.

Day Night Fried Kway Teow
163 Bukit Merah Central, #02-41, Singapore 150163
Opening Hours: 10am – 8pm (Mon – Wed, Fri – Sun), Closed Thurs

This is probably one of the most under-rated Char Kway Teow available in Singapore. When I visited late evening, most of the other stalls at Bukit Merah Central were closed but this remains open. (I succeeded only on my 2nd visit though.)

The first look is, this is different from all the other Char Kway Teow too. Notice that the stall uses thin style of kway teow, somewhat like horfun. This gives it a smooth, almost slippery texture.

I ordered shao la light spiciness and the noodles coats up the seasoning very evenly, and tasted satisfying from start to the end (without feeling ’jelak’).

While the wok-hei was not super strong, I thoroughly enjoyed how the flavours come well together. To me, this is the ‘hidden’ gem, perhaps nicer than some of the very famous stalls.

Guan Kee Fried Kway Teow
20, 01-19 Ghim Moh Rd, Singapore 270020
Opening Hours: 7am – 2pm (Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat), Closed Mon, Thurs, Sun

Uncle is a class-act to watch. There is always a perpetual queue for this stall at Ghim Moh Food Centre, and you would notice a window where you can watch uncle fry up plate-by-plate. (Like ‘live’ kitchen concept.)

This stall was once awarded in the Channel U television programme, which propelled its fame further. It has the longest queue and it is surely one of the gems of Ghim Moh.

The wait can be a bit long and tedious as uncle prepares the dishes at his own pace, but their Fried Kway Teow ($3/ $4/ $5) is worth the wait for its fans.

There are all the basis ingredients of eggs, cockles, kway teow, fried pork lard and lap cheong, along with reasonably good wok-hei. Quite balanced flavours as well.

However, I suspect that some customers would prefer a version in which the dark sauce is more pronounced.

91 Fried Kway Teow Mee
#01-91, Golden Mile Food Centre, 505 Beach Road Singapore 199583
Tel: +65 98300965
Opening Hours: 11am – 2:30pm (Tues – Sun), Closed Mon

Enjoy greener and healthier options at the Char Kway Teow to fulfill your cravings with less guilt.

Named after the stall’s number at the Golden Mile Food Centre, 91 Fried Kway Teow Mee 91翠绿炒粿條面 is known for its healthier version of Char Kway Teow – no pork, no lard, added with toppings of chye sim.

Their rendition of Fried Kway Teow Mee ($3.00, $4.00, $5.00) caters to health-conscious diners watching their calories and fat intake.

Portion seems to be relatively small, compared to the average stall (Mine’s the $4 version.)

To add a nice, crunchy texture, they sprinkle some fried whitebait on the top. Mix them up with the kway teow before eating. May not be everybody’s style as some would like theirs with more sauce, pork lard and wok-hei.

Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow 老夫子炒粿条
51 Old Airport Road, #01-12 Old Airport Road Food Centre, Singapore 390051
Tel: +65 8333 4828
Opening Hours: 11:45am – 10pm (Mon – Sun)

I have tried Lao Fu Zi Fried Kway Teow 老夫子炒粿条 at Old Airport Road quite a number of times in the past. But it was never a stall I would purposely go, it was more like a ‘by-the-way’ “Let’s try CKT” kind of experience.

That was until it was listed in the Michelin Bib Gourmand list in Singapore.

Offering both the black or white versions, Lau Fu Zi’s Fried Kway Teow ($5.00, $8.00, $10.00), are all cooked-to-order, each plate fried individually.

The dish carried a well-balanced flavour, and surprisingly not very oily.

By default, it really doesn’t use pork lard unless you request for it.

It is a not-bad plate, though I think some customers may prefer the dark, wetter type with stronger flavours. Then again, everyone has their preferred style of Char Kway Teow.

Dong Ji Fried Kway Teow
Old Airport Road Food Centre #01-138, Old Airport Road, Singapore 390001
Opening Hours: 10am – 2pm (Mon – Sun)

The stall is nearer to the back of the food centre, and sometimes close slightly before 2pm.

Note: This is a one-man show, so even if the queue may look relatively short, be prepared to wait for your food.

The hawker single-handedly prepares generous servings of Fried Kway Teow with egg ($3, $4) upon order with fresh ingredients, and yes wok-hei.

However, if you prefer the dark and sweet type, then you would realise this is quite different. There is not much dark sauce used, with strong garlicky and smokiness in its flavours.

Apollo Fresh Cockle Fried Kway Teow
#01-27 84 Marine Parade Central Market and Food Centre
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 9:30pm or sold out (Mon – Sun)

One of the star stalls of Marine Parade Food Centre. Regulars who grew up eating this hawker dish would heave a sigh of relief.

The Fried Kway Teow ($4) is quite unlike any others you would find in Singapore. It is known to be WET, though this current version I had was not as wet as how I remembered it to be.

The rice noodles were paler than usual, without the strong sweet dark sauce, fried with garlicky notes.

The egg is cooked till almost disintegrated into the dish, thus you won’t find bigger pieces of them.

Tiong Bahru Fried Kway Teow
30 Seng Poh Rd, #02-11, Singapore 168898
Opening Hours: 11am – 10pm (Mon – Tues, Fri – Sun), Closed Wed, Thurs

This hawker stall serves up one of the cheapest Fried Kway Teow in Singapore.

This used to cost $2, but have increased to $3. However, portions are considered quite generous, with cockles, sliced fish cake and Chinese sausage, matched with a tinge of spicy chilli sauce.

Occasionally, you would spot a 90+ year old uncle at the front of the stall, and if he is doing the frying, you are in luck. Uncle keeps his kway tiao quite ‘unoily’, better for them who wants a ‘healthier’ and drier version.

The recipe of their traditional and tasteful Fried Kway Teow has been passed down to the next generation.

It has a rather old school taste and noodles had a nice and moist texture and was completely soaked in sweet and savoury flavours.
Old 28-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Samster

10 Best Satay Stalls In Singapore

Kwong Satay
517 Geylang Road, Lorong 27A, 27A Eating House, Singapore 389473
Tel: +65 9755 2771
Opening Hours: 5pm – 11pm (Mon – Sun)

Kwong Satay originated in the 1960s when Wong Chee Kwong’s grandfather peddled satay from a trishaw around the Katong area.

The traditional Hainanese recipe includes marinating the meats with aromatic spices like jintan puteh (cumin), jintaan manis (fennel), cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, five-spice powder, and saffron.

Up to now, Kwong Satay remains faithful to the original recipe.

With a flavour-packed marinade, the meat is grilled over charcoals until cooked tender but still succulent. To make it piquant, shallot and garlic are added to both marinade and sauce.

The chicken, mutton and fat-striated pork belly satay are each priced at $0.60, minimum order 10 sticks.

Dip them in the signature satay sauce, made chunkier with added mashed sugar-boiled pineapple for a burst of sweet-zesty notes.

Chai Ho Satay 财好沙爹
448 Clementi Avenue 3, #01-10 448 Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre, Singapore 120448
Opening Hours: 10:30am – 9pm or sold out (Wed – Sun), Closed Mon, Tues

What makes Chai Ho satay unique is its distinctively sweet bak kwa-esque taste. Long queues at this stall at
Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre is testament to its popularity, at an affordable price at that.

The Chinese-style charcoal-barbecued satays available in pork and chicken, are well marinated and infused with balanced flavours.

The pork satay ($0.45 per stick, minimum order of 10 sticks) comes with a sweet seductive layer of fat that adds to the crunch and the essential charring.

Chai Ho’s peanut sauce is thick, chunky, not too oily nor spicy, and irresistibly fragrant. The aroma and flavour of roasted peanuts is unmistakable.

But unlike other peanut sauces, it does not come with pineapple puree. Still, dipping your satay in it could be addicting so refills are allowed for dine-in customers.

If you prefer to go DIY, buy their raw satay ($0.36 per stick) and grill them at home.

Chomp Chomp Satay
20 Kensington Park Road, #01-34 Chomp Chomp Food Centre, Singapore 557269
Opening Hours: 5:30pm – Late about midnight (Mon – Sun)

Priced at $0.70 per stick, this satay at the popular Chomp Chomp Food Centre is available in pork, chicken, beef and mutton choices, served with peanut sauce added with pineapples.

I ordered a combination of pork and chicken, and their well-marinated skewered satay meats are not overcooked so they turn out still tender and succulent.

Their charred exterior added a nice smoky taste that complemented the accompanying traditional peanut sauce.

I particularly liked the chicken satay which had slight sweet-honeyed coating, and was relatively juicy. My friend said it reminded of satays when he had as a child.

The mildly spiced satay sauce was thick as it should be, and tasted sweet from the added pineapple puree.

Haron Satay 55 (East Coast Lagoon Food Village)
Stall 55, East Coast Lagoon Food Village, 1220 East Coast Parkway, Singapore 468960
Tel: +65 6441 0495
Opening Hours: 2pm – 11pm (Tue – Sun), Closed Mon

Probably East Coast Lagoon Food Village’s most popular Halal Satay stall, at Stall #55.

They also have the Haron Satay Café at Upper East Coast Road

Founded by Haron Abu Bakar in 1980, Haron Satay 55 (named one of Singapore’s Hawker Masters by The Straits Times) has remained popular for its consistent quality and generous amounts of meat per stick.

Haron’s signature juicy satays are available in chicken, mutton, and beef ($0.70 per stick; minimum of 20 sticks).

These well-marinated meats are grilled upon order, so you get them hot, tender and succulent.

That appealing aroma comes from the lemongrass in the marinade. If you get the chicken satay, you’ll taste a balance of sweetness and savoury with a hint of smokiness.

To further boost the flavour, dip them in the accompanying creamy homemade peanut sauce. Followed by sliced onions and cucumbers.

Zaiton Satay
2 Adam Road, #01-07 Adam Road Food Centre, Singapore 289876
Opening Hours: 8am – 9pm (Mon – Sun)

Amongst all the stalls at Adam Road Food Centre, Halal-certified Zaiton Satay appears to be one of the most popular.

The satay pieces are $0.70 per stick, with a minimum order requirement of 10 satay sticks.

On the menu are choices of chicken, mutton and beef satay, though many would give a thumbs up more for their mutton.

There was a delicious aroma of the grilled meat, quite tender in texture and tasty in every bite.

Chuan Kee Satay
51 Old Airport Rd, Old Airport Road Food Centre #01-85 Singapore 390051
Opening Hours: 5pm – 10pm (Tues – Wed, Fri – Sat), 1pm – 10pm (Sun), Closed Mon, Thurs

Chuan Kee Satay began as a family business in the 1970s and specialises in Hainanese-style satay, served with peanut-with-pineapple sauce.

Regulars would tell you to NOT come at peak hours, or the wait can be closer to an hour or beyond.

Also, I observed that there is no queueing or buzzer system, and auntie recognises customers and order sequence by faces or what they wear.

Chuan Kee’s Hainanese-style satays are grilled for a longer duration over a low fire.

Though not the most generous when it comes to amount of meat per stick, Chuan Kee Satay is affordable at $0.60 per stick (minimum order of 10 sticks).

They are famous for pork satay, though I found mine surprisingly on the tough side.

The chicken satay was good though, tender and basted in a sticky, golden syrup exuding the aroma of lemongrass and coriander. The sugars in the syrup help create that caramelisation, and eventually, a beautiful charring.

168 CMY Satay
Block 335, Smith Street, #02-168, Chinatown Complex Market & Food Centre, Singapore 050335
Tel: +65 9475 2907
Opening Hours: 9am – 7pm (Tue – Sun), Closed Mon

If you are a satay lover, you may find “CMY” vaguely familiar. It is short for “Chun Man Yuan”, one of Singapore’s largest satay supplier.

Chun Man Yuan itself had humble beginnings as a hawker stall at Potong Pasir in 1985, and now has a central kitchen at Bedok North and is currently helmed by a second-generation business owner.

The manufacturer currently supplies satay to 168 CMY Satay – so named because it is located on the 168th stall at Level 2 of Chinatown Complex Food Centre.

At $0.60 per stick, the satays here are cooked-to-order, so they are still juicy upon serving. The skewered meats achieved the right amount of char from the grilling.

You can tell they have been seasoned and marinated well because they are tender and flavourful.

Compared to the average stall, these satay sticks have an appealing sweetness, though some may wish that they are meatier.

Old Punggol Satay
120 Bukit Merah Lane 1, Alexandra Village Food Centre #01-52, Singapore 150120
Tel: +65 9733 4237
Opening Hours: 4pm – 8pm (Mon – Fri), 12pm – 8pm (Sat – Sun)

Originally located in Punggol, the stall was closed for some time until the son of the original owners decided to restart the family business.

The stall sells chicken, pork, mutton satays as well as ketupats at a decent price of $0.60. Online reviews are quite mixed though.

This is especially when the satay sticks come with a generous portion of meat per stick, with a light marinate of soya sauce, sugar, five spice power and wine.

The meat on the sticks was also tender and juicy and would slide off the sticks with some ease.

Served with a secret recipe peanut sauce added with pineapple puree.

Yong Seng Satay
51 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, #02-123, Singapore 588215
Tel: +65 9626 5173
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 8pm (Wed – Mon), Closed Tues

The Yong Seng Satay stall serves up Chinese-style Satay. They are most famous for their Pork Satay ($0.60 per stick), along with Chicken and Mutton Satay ($0.60 per stick). Ketupat is at an additional $0.60.

The reason being its preparation time which is tedious and time consuming, with the marination itself taking several hours.

It is hard to find tender Pork Satay of late, and this had a good layer of meat with fats, that added to its tenderness and succulence.

The slight hints of smoky, charred flavour intensify the taste, and is complimented well with the chunky peanut sauce added with sweet pineapple mash.

Satay Club (Stalls 7 & 8)
Lau Pa Sat Festival Market, 18 Raffles Quay Raffles Place MRT, Singapore 048582
Tel: +65 6220 2138
Opening Hours: 7pm – 3am (Mon – Fri), 3pm-3am (Sat – Sun)

From 7pm onwards, Lau Pa Sat at Boon Tat street is transformed into a dining area decked with folding tables, plastic chairs, and more than 10 satay stalls.

It can be quite intimidating when faced with so many choices, and unfortunately the place is sometimes called a “tourist trap”.

Among the stalls, Stalls 7 & 8 also called “Best Satay No 7 & 8) are the most popular. They offer satay in three variants: Chicken, Mutton/Beef, or Prawns.

There are 6 sets to choose from, priced from $26 to a whooping $185. The basic Set A ($26) includes 10 sticks of chicken, 10 sticks of mutton or beef, and 6 sticks of prawns.

Their version of peanut sauce has a hint of spiciness, complementing the smoky aroma of satay.
Old 28-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 52 / Power: 7
RicoRock deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy

I like Zion Road fried kuay teow, nice to know it is well received by others too
Old 28-08-2020, 11:18 PM
Samster

I like Day And Night Char Kway Teow
Old 30-08-2020, 06:18 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 83 / Power: 7
Jiaging deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy

Fantastic share bro ET
Old 31-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 56 / Power: 7
lannian deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy

Quote:
The 5 Best Hokkien Mee In Singapore

2. Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee

Nam Sing’s Hokkien mee is characterised by its dryness and balanced taste of multiple ingredients. Another unique charm of this stall is that fine bee hoon is used instead of thick bee hoon, popular among typical Hokkien mee stalls, and somehow it works! Nam Sing is located at the Old Airport Road Food Centre so travelers and expats interested in this dish should be able to find it easily.

What are so special

Fine bee hoon over the thick ones: Don’t be too quick to judge, though. The fine bee hoon noodles do a great job in absorbing the gravy base well, so are the juicy flavours of the other ingredients. As a result, you will have a dry to moistened Hokkien mee but packed with seafood, chili, and egg flavours.
Chopped red chilies for the extra kick: As though the strong savoury of the noodle itself is not enough, Nam Sing lets you add its freshly chopped chilies into the mix alongside a piece of lemon. It is somewhat a game changer for those who appreciate it more over the traditional sambal chili sauce.

NOTE: Food preparation is approximately 30 minutes so it is best to have something to snack on while waiting. Also, those who try to keep their hands off lard might appreciate Nam Sing’s lard-free noodles.

PRICE: S$5 (Small), S$8 (medium)

OPENING HOURS

Daily: 07:00 till sold out
Closed on random days

CONTACT
Address: Old Airport Road Food Centre #01-32, 51 Old Airport Road, S390051
Tel: (65) 6440 5340
This is yummy, love it
Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Samster (B)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 940 / Power: 0
Masterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to beholdMasterl23 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The 5 Best Hokkien Mee In Singapore
thks so much... i love hokkien mee...
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Samster

12 Best Zi Char In Singapore

Kok Sen Restaurant
No 30-32 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089137
Opening Hours: Lunch 11.30am – 2.30pm, Dinner 6.00pm – 10.30pm (Closed on Mon)

Big Prawn Bee Hoon And Claypot Yong Tau Foo
With a history of more than 37 years, it is known to serve different-from-usual wok-fried zhi char, with some dishes unique to this restaurant.

The regulars know the restaurant as “Kau Kee” – the name of the founder, while “Kok Sen” is his son. It is currently helmed by the third generation in the family.

The signature dishes include Big Prawns Horfun ($16, $32, $48), Big Prawns Bee Hoon Soup ($16, $32, $48), Crispy Noodles with Shrimp Omelette ($12, $18 $36), Kung Pao Frogs Stir Fried with Dried Chilli ($20), Cereal Butter Squid ($14, $21, $28), Sambal Kangkong ($10, $14, $18), Black Pepper Beef ($14, $18, $24), and Thai Style Fried Rice ($6.50, $13, $19).

These are not your ordinary coffeeshop prices.

This Cantonese-style restaurant most famous dish is its Big Prawns Bee Hoon Soup, costing a pricey $16 for the smallest portion in a seemingly humble zi char place.

Yes, 16 bucks for hae mee!

Keng Eng Kee Seafood 瓊榮記海鲜
Blk 124 Bukit Merah Lane 1 #01-136, Singapore 150124
Tel: +65 6272 1038
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 2:30pm, 5pm – 10pm (Mon – Sun)

Moonlight Horfun And Coffee Ribs
Keng Eng Kee is one of those Zi Char places that actually have good service (no grumpy aunties) – prompt (in fact too prompt my dishes arrived in minutes) and friendly.

The originality of the dishes is quite mixed. Owner Mr Liew is Malaysian who learnt his craft from his Hainanese father-in-law, and serves mainly Cantonese styled dishes.

There are a number of dishes that regulars order. The most talked-about dish is the Moonlight Horfun ($6, $9, $16), along with Mingzhu Roll ($12 for 6 pieces), Prawn Roll ($8 for 8 pieces), Yam Basket ($20), Coffee Pork Ris ($15, $20, $28), Claypot Pig Liver ($15, $20), Marmite Chicken ($12, $18, $25) and Salted Egg Sotong ($18, $28, $38).

The Mingzhu Roll ($12 for 6 pieces) is a dish unique to Keng Eng Kee, that looked elaborate and creative for a zi-char dish.

New Ubin Seafood – Tampines
18 Tampines Industrial Crescent, Singapore 528605

What I like about this place: The breath of its variety, even Masala Chicken, which reflects our unique Singapore culture.

You won’t find just the typical zi char dishes, but US Ribeye, Chocolate Alexander, Fish Roe Masala, BBQ Baby Back Ribs, Satay Foie Gras, and BBQ Pork Collar among the top selling dishes.

How I look out for dishes to order is the floor-to-ceiling chalkboard where they would indicate their most popular dishes – Heart Attack Fried Rice, Chilli Crab, Crispy Pork Knuckles, Boss Style Bee Hoon, Great Shovel Nose Ray, and Hei Chor.

Some customers call this the ‘ang moh’ zi char restaurant, and order the US Black Angus Ribeye Steak ($14 for 100 grams, we paid $84), served together with caramelised onions, Idaho potato wedges, sea salt flakes, and my favourite… fried rice cooked with beef drippings.

(Note: New Ubin Seafood moved from Hillview to Tampines.)

Por Kee Eating House
#01-02 69 Seng Poh Lane Singapore (10-15 min walk from Tiong Bahru MRT)
Opening Hours: 11:30am – 2:30pm, 5:30pm – 11:30pm (Mon – Sun)

Champagne Pork Ribs and Homemade Beancurd
They closed, and they reopened. Yeah. Say hello back to Por Kee’s signature dishes like the Champagne Pork Ribs, Homemade Beancurd ($16), Cereal Prawns ($22), Crispy Butter Prawns ($22), and Yam Basket with Chicken and Shrimp ($16).

My favourite dish is easily the Homemade Beancurd with mushrooms ($16).

While deep fried, the inside remains very smooth and silky, poured over by a flavourful sauce with super-power wok-hei. I swear you can feel the wok-hei breathing in your body after taking a bite.

An underrated dish that I enjoyed is the Fried Beef Hor Fun with Black Bean Sauce. Ask for the chili sauce to go along – great combi.

Diamond Kitchen
87 Science Park Dr #01-01 Oasis Singapore 118260
Tel: +65 6464 0410
Opening Hours: 11am – 2:30pm, 5:30pm – 10:30pm (Mon – Sun)

Main outlet:5000F Marine Parade Road, Laguna Park (Condominium), #01-22/23, Singapore 449289

For Sauna Prawns and Salted Egg Sotong
There are some reasons for its success: positive reviews from critics and bloggers, and a fairly interesting variety of Singapore meets Malaysian zi char dishes.

For those who have yet to try their food, their recommended dishes include Sauna Prawns, Three Eggs Chinese Spinach, Champagne Pork Ribs, Superior Chicken Soup, Gan Xiang Fried Rice, Pumpkin Beancurd, Diamond Gan Xiang Crab, Garlic Steamed Bamboo Clams, Salted Egg Sotong, and Hong Kong Steamed Fish.

Many calamari dishes tried elsewhere failed big time, usually tasting rubbery and overpowered by salted egg yolk sauce. Singaporeans may love salted-egg-anything, but let us not drown our food in it.

Diamond Kitchen’s Salted Egg Sotong ($14) was spot on – crispy deep fried, dusted with some spicy powder, evenly tossed in salted yolk mix, and did not taste overly chewy.

Yong Kee Seafood Restaurant
Boon Hwa Food Centre, 43 Jalan Besar (opposite Sim Lim Tower)
Opening Hours: 6pm – 3am (closed on every first Wed of the month)

Every table orders the chao tar bee hoon (burnt vermicelli) at Yong Kee.

This crispy vermicelli is a must try at Yong Kee located within a coffeeshop along Jalan Besar Road. You might have seen this dish before in Malaysia, but it is definitely uncommon here. The wait of 20 minutes was long, but it was worth every minute.

Arriving like a round pancake, the beehoon was crusty on the outside layer, yet moist and flavoursome on the inside where the bee hoon had soaked up the rich stock.

Customers also order the prawn salad served in a honeydew. However, do note that the prawn batter would likely turn soggy after being soaked in the mayonnaise-based gravy.

Two Chefs Eating Place
Blk 116 Commonwealth Crescent, #01-129 Singapore 140116, Tel: +65 6472 5361
Opening Hours: 5pm-11:30pm (Mon), 11:30am – 2:30pm, 5pm- 11:30pm (Tues-Sun), Closed last Mon of the month

Two Chefs describes themselves as “high class dishes at zi char prices”. Hmmm.

The dish that everyone talks about is the Butter Pork Ribs ($8/$12/$16) which is pork chop (no ribs) covered with a specially made powdery butter.

The pork cubes are indeed quite tender (can’t complain because I always get tough pork in Singapore), covered in this snowy white textured, sweet tasting butter power which takes four hours to prepare.

It tastes like dried up condensed milk, while the traces of curry leave add a hint of fragrance. The dish used to be much better though, recently the power got clumpy.

Mellben Signature
7 Tanjong Pagar Plaza #01-105 Singapore 081007
Tel: +65 6220 5512
Opening Hours: 10:30am – 10:15pm (Mon – Fri), 12pm – 10:15pm (Sat), 5pm – 10:15pm (Sun)

Mellben has always been attracting crowds for their crabs, but this is the first time I had their Salted Egg Yolk Crabs (seasonal pricing).

I was expecting a wetter sauce, but the mighty crustacean came in a drier form such that the fleshly crabs had already absorbed some of the flavours.

The outer coating was grainy with a moderate touch of sweetness, added with fragrance from the curry leaves and butter. You will find yourself licking your fingers pretty soon.

Tip: You can request for extra sauce at $4 to go with the crispy mantou.

You can also consider the Salted Egg Prawns. Somehow the drier sauce worked well with the fresh sea prawns, good enough that you can actually have them with the shells on.

JB Ah Meng
2 Lor 23 Geylang, Singapore 388353
Tel: +65 6741 2418
Opening Hours: 5pm – 3am (Mon – Sun)

Accordingly, the chefs from JB Ah Meng are from across the causeway, and cook in feisty Malaysian style with wok-hei.

JB Ah Meng has a number of ‘star’ signature dishes – JB San Lou Meehoon, White Pepper Crab, Salted Egg Prawn Roll, Fried Fish Head, and 3 Delicacy Beancurd.

If you are a first timer here, you should order at least one of the above.

We heard a statement that “If JB Ah Meng’s White Pepper Crab is 2nd best nobody will claim to be the 1st.”

Is that even true? But after chomping down those sweet fleshy chunks on meat tossed in piquant kick of white pepper, I think there is some truth in that statement.

Ka-Soh Restaurant
Alumni Medical Centre 2 College Road, Singapore 169850
Tel: +65 6473 6686
Opening Hours: Lunch 11:30am – 2:30pm, Dinner 5:30pm – 9:30pm (Mon – Sun)

96 Amoy Street Singapore 069916
Tel: +65 6224 9920
Opening Hours: Lunch 11:45am – 2:30pm, Dinner 5:30pm – 10:45pm (Mon – Sun)

If you find yourself at Ka-Soh Restaurant, also known as Swee Kee Fish Head Noodle House at College Road, you may find yourself walking back in time.

Some of the signatures include the Sliced Fish Noodle Soup ($7.50++ for a single serving, $24++ for 3-4 persons, $38++ for 5-6 persons), Prawn Paste Chicken ($15.50++), Spare Pork Ribs (18.5++), Deep Fried Frog with Ginger (22++), Sambal Cuttlefish (18++), Beef and Fresh Crab Meat Hor Fun with Black Bean Sauce and Egg (18++), Fried Yam (8++).

The restaurant still cooks its signature Fish Noodle Soup in a traditional style.

The kitchen would first deep fry the snake-head fish bones, cook the stock for hours till it forms a white, almost-milky base.

Many fish soup stalls now use the short cut by adding evaporated milk to give that creamy mouth feel, but Ka-Soh still use the labour-intensive way.

The soup is paired with simple ingredients of white rice noodles and crunchy vegetables, and you could taste traces of wine that made it more uplifting.

Long Ji Zi Char
251, 253 Outram Road Singapore 169049
Tel: +65 9790 5682
Opening Hours: 5:00pm – 10:30pm (Mon – Sun)

The environment is like an old-school Chinese restaurant of the 80s, the type you would celebrate Ah-gong’s and Ah-ma’s birthday at.

The star dish of Long Ji is unquestionably the Crab Bee Hoon (seasonal price).

Its appeal is partly the robustly appealing gravy, cooked with crabs, cabbage and oyster sauce with a peppery aroma. Plus point, no MSG or chicken powder are used in the stock.

If you like your Crab Bee Hoon semi-wet (okay, more wet than dry), this is for you.

You would notice that both the beehoon and gravy are in a light brown colour. That is because Chef would fry the vermicelli all the way till almost to a point of getting burnt. Full of wok hei.

Sik Bao Sin (Desmond’s Creation)
592 Geylang Road, Singapore 389531 (Between Lor 34 & 36)
Tel: +65 6744 3757
Opening Hours: Lunch 11:45am – 2:30pm, Dinner 5:45pm – 9:30pm (Tue – Sun), Closed Mon

The food items here are called “Desmond’s creations”, as it is headed by Chef Desmond Chia who was formally from the famous Sik Wai Sin near Geylang Lor 15.

You won’t find fried rice or horfun, but only dishes that go with rice. Just a note: the menu here doesn’t indicate any pricing. That may make a new diner slightly anxious, enquire and you would find out that prices are mostly either $19 or $26 per dish. (Prices here are indicative, so do ask.)

Among the 13 items, 10 are listed as all-time favourites, with 4 named as main stars: Steamed Fish Head, Tofu Prawns, Ginger Chicken, and Steamed Pork with Salted Fish.

One of my personal favourites was the Steamed Pork with Salted Fish ($17), neither overpoweringly salty nor oil, and went well with steamed white rice.

Although the younger generation now probably have less contact with salted fish type dishes, it was so comforting-good.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM
Samster

12 Best Hawker Centre In Singapore

Tiong Bahru Food Centre
Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre has been one of Singapore’s favourites, and in fact the the first modern market to be built in a housing area in 1955.

Several well-known food items have in fact been synonymous with the name “Tiong Bahru”, from chwee kueh, pao, porridge to roast pork.

Stalls to queue for:
– Jian Bo Chwee Kueh. Many Singaporeans would agree that Jian Bo offers one of the best chwee kueh around, a simple dish of smooth and soft steamed rice cake topped with oily preserved radish.
– Zhong Yu Yuan Wei Wanton Noodles. Which is famous of their ‘bu jian tian’ char siew, literally roast pork that doesn’t see the sky – that’s why the pieces are tender.
– Hui Ji Fishball Noodles and Yong Tau Foo. Not a widely publicized shop, but its queue in the morning easily beats many of the other popular stalls.

Maxwell Food Centre
Maxwell Food Centre is one of those food centres that both tourists and Singapore locals go to.

I say this because some food spots get overly touristy and commercialized, but Maxwell is a convenient go-to for affordable credible Singapore food throughout the day till supper.

Many people venture to Maxwell for Tian Tian Chicken Rice, so much so that there are so many Chicken Rice stalls that sprouted out over the years, all spotted similar-looking medium blue sign boards.

But there is more to the food centre than that. China Street Fritters, Lao Ban Beancurd, Hoe Kee Congee, Lim Kee Banana Fritters, Fried Sweet Potato Dumplings are some of the regular favourites, many stalls have been there long before the multiple renovations.

Stalls to queue for:
– Tian Tian Chicken Rice is probably one of Singapore’s most famous chicken rice stall. It’s winning formula to me has to be its rice – warm, fluffy, fragrant, good enough to just eat it with the chilli sauce.
– Jin Hua Sliced Fish Bee Hoon stall prepares Cantonese style fish head bee hoon soup, and its selling point is in its hot piping milk fish broth.
– Hum Jin Pang. What? $1 for 6 pieces of Hum Chin Pang (or peng)… but you have to fry the dough pieces yourself. These sweet dough are kneaded on the spot, deep fried in very hot oil, sugar coated and served in a bag of 6

Old Airport Food Centre
Old Airport Road Food Centrewas voted the champion after radion station 96.3 HAO FM started a search for Singapore’s Best Hawker Centre, with it getting twice as many votes as its nearest competitor.

The food centre located near Dakota MRT Station with over 40 years of history was built in 1972, then to settle street hawkers around Kallang Estate area.

With 168 food stalls, it is considered one of Singapore’s largest, and also houses many famous stalls. There is also a second storey which has 136 retail shops.

Stalls to queue for:
– Xin Mei Xiang Zheng Zong Lor Mee 新美香卤面 for its flavourful “Food King Good” Lor Mee with gooey thick sauce.
– Hua Kee Hougang Famous Wanton Mee 華記后港祖傳馳名雲吞麵 with noodles that come with an interesting gravy sauce, which leans more on the sweet side and goes well with the spicy-smoky chili sambal to balance off the sweetness.
– Roast Paradise 烧味天堂 for thick, fatty, charred, KL style Char Siew with a tinge of sweet-stickiness on the outside.

Chinatown Complex Food Centre
Chinatown Complex Food Centre located at Block 335 Smith Street is the largest hawker centre in Singapore with over 260 food stalls, also boosting the world’s first Michelin hawker stall.

Come here during lunch time, and you would find an interesting mix of the local elderly, office executive and curious tourists.

The food centre which has closed for renovations from March, has reopened 1st June. The renovation is reported to cost about $2.5 million for the upgrading of the building that is more than 35 years old.

Stalls to queue for:
– Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle 香港油雞飯麵, the world-famous stall known for serving the cheapest Michelin-starred meal in the world.
– Zhong Guo La Mian Xiao Long Bao 中国拉面小笼包 offers great value for your money with delicious handmade Xiao Long Bao, Szechuan Spicy Wanton, and hand-pulled noodles.
– Lian He Ben Ji Claypot 联合本记砂煲饭 located at the corner of Chinatown Complex Food Centre is one of the most popular claypot rice stalls in Singapore.

Hong Lim Food Centre
“Hong Lim” has well, been quite known for its speakers’ corner, but one mustn’t forget that the two storey food centre is a gathering of some of the best street food available in Singapore.

Many stalls at Hong Lim Food Centre continue to enjoy long queues.

Some of which are Heng Kee Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Mee, High Street Tai Wah Pork Noodles, Ah Kow Mushroom Minced Pork Mee, Teo Heng Porridge Stall, Hwee Kee Kway Chap, Hong Xing Handmade Fishball, Hiong Kee Rice Dumplings, and The Old Stall Hokkien Prawn Mee.

Either their original bosses or children are holding the fort, so we have the assurance that these local delicacies are still in same hands, at least for a good number of years.

Stalls to queue for:
– Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee 欧南园炒粿條面 which is fried rice noodles almost evenly covered with moist egg, smoking hot when served, still with some of those addictive crispy pork lard.
– Ji Ji Wanton Noodle Specialist has been around since 1965, and it really propelled into fame when it won the “Favourite Hawker” in the wanton noodles category by a huge margin, beating all the usual suspects.
– Ah Heng Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Mee with chopped Hainanese chicken swimming in a bowl of coconut-ty and tasty gravy.

Amoy Street Food Centre
Amoy Street Food Centre Hawker Guide is one of my favourite hawker centres in Singapore for the sheer quality and quality.

It is located in the central business district continues to offer quality hawker fare at very affordable prices.

Located just a few minutes’ walk away from Telok Ayer and Tanjong Pagar MRT stations, the place is very crowded during lunchtime when office workers head down in droves for lunch, although that is also the only time most of the stalls are open.

It also boasts a wide range of stalls with both foods from older generations to newer, more modern stalls selling all kinds of food items from age old favourites like char kway teow to more ‘modern’ foods like ramen and muffins.

Stalls to queue for:
– A Noodle Story. Famous Singapore style “ramen” with Japanese style charshu, soy-flavoured braised egg, Hong Kong style wantons, potato wrapper prawn fritter for that crunch.
– Han Kee Fish Soup must be the stall with the longest queue at Amoy Food Centre at lunch hour, and can go up to 1 hour during peak periods.
– Ah Ter Teochew Fishball Noodles offers noodles which are light and springy and go well with the spicy, tad oily sauce base.

Golden Mile Food Centre
Golden Mile Food Centre used to be where I go to after “settling stuff” at the Army Market upstairs – the place of relief for many army boys and NSMen. Buy in-camp things then go downstairs eat.

The food centre which was opened since 1975, has a good mix of stalls both upstairs and downstairs. Most of the Halal stalls are located downstairs.

There are many famous and worthy stalls here, such as Ah Xiao Teochew Braised Duck, Golden Mile Special Yong Tau Foo, Charlie’s Peranakan Food, Mr Baguette, Zhao An Granny Grass Jelly, Haji Kadir Food Chains (for Tulang and Roti John), and Koothurar Nasi Biryani.

Stalls to queue for:
– 91 Fried Kway Teow Mee 91翠绿炒粿條面 known for its healthier version of Char Kway Teow – no pork, no lard, added with toppings of chye sim.
– Yew Chuan Claypot Rice for fragrant rice which was topped with tender marinated chicken pieces, tasty Chinese sausages, fresh green vegetables and light traces of salted fish.
– Wedang for Halal Malay food from Tahu Goreng, Mee or Bee Hoon Soto Ayam, to Nasi Ayam (chicken rice), all at $3.00 per plate or bowl.

ABC Brickworks Food Centre
ABC Brickworks Food Centre is one of the first hawker centres to be built in Singapore in 1970, and is located at 6 Jalan Bukit Merah.

In terms of location, it is about a 10 minutes’ walk from IKEA, Queensway Shopping Centre, and there is another food centre Alexandra Village diagonally opposite.

The origin of its name is an interesting one, said to be named after “Archipelago Brewery Company”, the first commercial brewery in Singapore.

Stalls to queue for:
– Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Mee
for Michelin-recommended Fried Prawn Noodles which is flavourful and with wok-hei.
– Ah Er Soup which sells many different soups at affordable prices including Buddha Jumps Over The Wall and the Herbal Ginseng Black Chicken Soup.
– Fatty Cheong Roast serves some of the best Char Siew around in Singapore – nicely char, good balance of lean meat and fats, and melts in your mouth.

Ghim Moh Fod Centre
To residents staying near the Holland, Buona Vista and Commonwealth Avenue West areas, Ghim Moh Food Centre with more than 70 food stalls should be one of your favourites.

Stalls to queue for:
– Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck with braised duck coated in a dark and luscious sauce, topped over fluffy rice cooked in a Hokkien style of lor (sauce) thickened with a little starch.
– Ghim Moh Chwee Kueh uses garlic and pork lard (instead of vegetable oil) which make their cai po (preserved radish) more fragrant. The radish is the chunkier-than-usual type, and this make the radish chewier in texture.
– Jiu Jiang Shao La stands out amongst a swarm of hawker stalls at
Ghim Moh Food Centre. Their roasted duck meat is exceptionally good and attracts a long queue at the stall.

Bedok 85 aka Fengshan Food Centre
Located at 85 Bedok North Street 4, Fengshan Market & Food Centre is better known as “Bedok 85”.

The hawker centre is a go-to place for supper, bustling with Singaporeans from all walks of life as the stalls open till late.

Ask anyone where to find the best soup version of Bak Chor Mee, and many will say Bedok 85 Market.

Supper-goers typically travel for Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian or Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee, known for their soup version of the local Bak Chor Mee added with minced pork, meatballs and sliced chillies.

Whampoa Food Centre
Whampoa Food Centre or Whampoa Makan Place has always been a dependable hawker centre for good food, and there are several stalls here that keep attracting lines.

There are also two sides here, Block 91 which is mainly catered to the morning crowd, while Block 90 has many stalls that open lunch or dinner onwards.

Stalls to queue for:
– Beach Road Fish Head Bee Hoon comes in a flavourful fish stock that retains its original taste even with the addition of milk.
– Mat Noh & Rose Authentic Ginger Fried Chicken Rice is for their authentic ginger fried chicken rice, along with other traditional Singaporean delights. You can also order a variety of sides to go with the food to make it a complete meal.
– Best Lu Mian In Town with generous serving size of Lor Mee with ample amounts of pork, fried fish, and even some crisp chicken pieces.

– Xing Ji Rou Cuo Mian with Minced Pork Noodle Soup which looked deceivingly light but was really flavoursome.
– Seng Hiang Bak Chor Mee also stands out for its delectably divine, soupy bowl of Bak Chor Mee.
– Shi Wei Da serving Satay Beehoon with sauce which was rich, unique and tasty.

Chomp Chomp Food Centre
Chomp Chomp Food Centre at Serangoon Garden is popular as a supper place, good especially when you have occasional late-night cravings for Hokkien Mee, Satay and Chicken Wings.

So plan your visit as most of the stalls start their daily business from 5:30pm onwards.

Something to note is many stalls serve similar hawker food, such as Carrot Cake, Oyster Omelette, BBQ Chicken Wings, BBQ Seafood, and Hokkien Mee. They all can be categorised ‘heaty’, and so quench your thirst with one of the many Sugar Cane juice stalls.

For a first timer, it can be hard to gauge which are the more note-worthy stalls, especially when there are no visual cues such as a queue. Food is generally sent to your table, but do sit somewhere near where you order.

Stalls to queue for:
– Ah Hock Fried Hokkien Mee 亚福炒福建虾面 for semi-wet Hokkien Fried Prawn Noodles fried up skilfully by an old uncle, easily one of the most popular and known stall at Chomp Chomp.
– Chomp Chomp Satay for juicy satay available in pork, chicken, beef and mutton, served with pineapple peanut sauce. Order a ketupat too.
– Ang Sa Lee Oyster Omelette. The oysters were plump and juicy, and its sour-spicy chilli deserve a mention.
Advert Space Available
Bypass censorship with https://1.1.1.1

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1