The Asian Commercial Sex Scene  

Go Back   The Asian Commercial Sex Scene > For stuff you can't discuss with your Facebook Account > Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk

Notices

Soccer, Horses, and MBS/RWS talk With the IRs up and running, what better place to exchange tips and techniques on how to tip the odds in your favour! [Please note that with the passing of the Remote Gambling Act, Internet gambling links and Adverts are no longer allowed in this section.]

Fastgoal Image
Fastgoal : Reliable Score Service

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 2080 / Power: 0
machoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Giggs banks on United showing their strength
Friday, April 06, 2007, 08:52:51 HRS

Ryan Giggs expects Manchester United's strength in depth will prove decisive as his side try to cope with a series of injuries that threaten their treble bid.

United have been resting their weary limbs at an Italian hideaway following their Champions League clash at Roma in midweek. But they will have to rouse themselves once more on Saturday as they try to maintain their six-point lead over Chelsea at the top of the Premiership.

Jose Mourinho's side can cut the gap to three points with a win against Tottenham before United visit Fratton Park in Saturday's late game.

With Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic and Mikael Silvestre all sidelined through injury, it won't be easy for Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

But Welsh winger Giggs believes United's reserves will come to the rescue and he said: "We've been without players all season, especially recently," Giggs said. "That's when the squad comes into play.

"We proved that against Roma with players like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer coming in. Louis Saha and Darren Fletcher both came back too, so there are some positives."

Joe Cole is determined to make up for lost time by playing a decisive role in Chelsea's challenge to overhaul United.

Cole returned to action after four months out with a foot injury in Wednesday's Champions League draw against Valencia.

The England winger admits the painful memories of his time on the sidelines will motivate him to help the Blues land a third successive title - and he is ready to take out his frustrations on Tottenham.

"It's been a long time and a difficult season. I've missed more or less the whole campaign with two big injuries," Cole said.

"But I am back now and feeling my way into it. I am sure I will have something to say this year once I get my fitness and sharpness back 100 per cent.

"I will be able to make a bigger impact and it is great to have all the big games to do it in.

"But it could go from being my worst season to my best now if we win some trophies. We are fighting on all three fronts for that."

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez believes his current squad is better than the team that won the Champions League in 2005.

The Reds travel to Reading on a high after their 3-0 win at PSV Eindhoven in midweek. Benitez claims that clinical victory is proof of how far his side have progressed since their famous triumph over AC Milan in Istanbul.

"It is clear that we are closer and closer to what we want," Benitez said. "Our form has improved slowly to a point when we are approaching a peak at the right time.

"I believe that this is a better side than the one that won in Istanbul. We have signed better players and others have gained more experience in Europe.

"I can say I am happy with the progress of the side, it's fitness and improvement. I can see we are closer to our objectives. But we just play every game with our people fully concentrated on what we are doing."

Arsenal defender Kolo Toure has told his team-mates they must stick together as the Gunners try to get back on track after their 4-1 thrashing at Liverpool last weekend.

Arsene Wenger's side have nothing to play for, but Toure is determined not let the season tail off.

Toure, whose team host improving West Ham, said: "It is definitely a big motivation for the players to finish in third place. We need to be really strong all over the pitch. When we win, we win together and when we fail, we fail together."

Fixtures:

Friday

Manchester City v Charlton (1715GMT), Everton v Fulham (1930GMT)

Saturday (1500GMT unless stated)

Arsenal v West Ham, Blackburn v Aston Villa, Chelsea v Tottenham (1245GMT), Middlesbrough v Watford, Portsmouth v Manchester Utd (1715GMT), Reading v Liverpool, Sheffield Utd v Newcastle, Wigan v Bolton

- AFP
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 21
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster

Chelsea set the fixture agenda now, says Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson last night claimed that Chelsea have an influence on the Premiership fixture programme and criticised the decision to hand Manchester United's title rivals a lunchtime game against Tottenham today.

After another week of dramatic Champions League activity, the focus switches back to the Premiership today with United looking to preserve their six-point lead over Chelsea.

United play at Portsmouth this evening, by which time their rivals may have cut their lead in half by beating their London rivals Tottenham at Stamford Bridge at lunchtime.

With Tottenham having played a UEFA Cup quarter-final in Spain against Seville on Thursday night, Ferguson is surprised that coach Martin Jol gave his consent to a Premiership match less than 48 hours later.

And the United manager followed that by making the rather outrageous claim that Chelsea have the power to dictate their fixtures.

Ferguson said: "Well, it helps Chelsea but it doesn't help Tottenham.

"I am amazed Tottenham have allowed it to happen. "If the game had been played on Sunday lunchtime, Chelsea would still have had over two days to prepare.

"As it is, Tottenham get 36 hours. What is the right decision?

"It seems the Premier League are quite happy to give Chelsea the extra time but not Tottenham. "Given the power Chelsea seem to have over issues like this I am not surprised.

"I am just surprised Tottenham have allowed it to happen.

"If Tottenham lose and lose out on a European place because of it, I don't imagine they will be very happy.

"It is the Tottenham supporters I feel sorry for. "They have travelled to see them play in Seville and now their team is asked to play again so quickly. It is letting the fans down in some ways."

Ferguson's comments will be viewed in a rather dim light by the Premier League and may serve to encourage Chelsea to believe that the Scot is beginning to feel the pressure of the first tight championship race for three seasons.

The United manager, however, believes that nothing is going to derail his in-form team and has even drawn some positives from the controversial midweek defeat in Rome.

United only flew back to England yesterday after spending two days recouperating in the Eternal City and Ferguson expects to field the same team that started Wednesday's Champions League game.

"The hunger and desire we showed was great," added Ferguson.

"It was a big test for them after we lost Paul Scholes to a sending-off and then conceded a goal right on half-time. These are not easy things to take in Europe.

"There were a lot of things against us in terms of the atmosphere and other things.

"All things being equal, we came out of the game with a lot of positives.

"There were some outstanding performances. Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown did really well. Michael Carrick was magnificent and Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo were superb.

"The atmosphere in the dressing room afterwards was very positive.

"We have done the right thing by staying over. We have avoided a long trip back.

"It means we have been able to relax a little bit and then fly into Southampton on Friday afternoon. It is the right decision in terms of preparation.

"We have given ourselves the best chance of getting a result at Portsmouth, which is the most important thing."

United will be without Scholes for next week's return Champions League leg in Manchester, but the 32-year-old will play today.

Despite the fact that Scholes committed four clumsy fouls in half an hour in the Olympic Stadium, Ferguson contested last night that his player had been unlucky and refused to blame him.

He said: "It is a question of interpretation with Paul.

"How you can tackle in England is not how you can tackle in Italy or Germany.

"There is a lack of understanding and knowledge of British players and Paul is suffering because of that.

"He won the game for us against Blackburn last Saturday. It was a magnificent performance.

"If he had stayed on the pitch on Wednesday we might have won the game too.

"But these things happen. I don't look upon what happened to Paul on Wednesday and feel he let us down.

"He has won so many games for us in the past. I am not going to turn round and tell him not to tackle.

"He can tackle, it is just in a British style.

"He is a great player for us and very influential."
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Samster

Vieira sees Keane at United

Patrick Vieira has tipped former rival Roy Keane to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager.

Former Arsenal midfielder Vieira has been impressed by Keane's first move into management at Sunderland.

Keane has helped transform Sunderland's fortunes this season and has them fighting for promotion to the Premiership.

Vieira has a lot of respect for his former midfield sparring partner and believes he has all the qualities to replace Ferguson at Old Trafford.

"Roy Keane knows Manchester United so well. He has been one of their greatest players and one of the greatest captains the game has seen," Vieira told The Sun.

"He was there for so long as a player and has learned a lot from Alex Ferguson. I think he may be the future United manager. It wouldn't surprise me at all - and he would be a success.

"I was quite surprised he went into management as soon as he did. I thought he might want to take a bit more time out but, when you have football in your blood, it is always there. You have that passion - you always have it.

"I have massive respect for Roy Keane. He was tough, he was hard but I loved our rivalry. I have a big respect for him as a player.

"He won everything with United, he was a fantastic footballer."

Vieira, who is currently at Internazionale, is unsure if he would follow Keane into management when he hangs up his boots.

"I really don't know whether I will go into coaching yet but I would love to stay in the game in some way. I love it - it's a big passion for me," added Vieira.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Samster

Carrick: We're ready for Roma

Michael Carrick is confident Manchester United will score in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League tie with Roma.

Though United lost in Stadio Olimpico, Wayne Rooney's away goal put the Premiership leaders within one goal of the semi-finals.

And Carrick admits morale within the Red Devils camp is high ahead of the return meeting with Roma at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

"We know the situation we are in," said Carrick.

"We have to score, but we are always confident of doing that."

With United aiming to overturn a 2-1 deficit from the first leg, Carrick is expecting the fans to create a fervent atmosphere for the visit of Roma.

He added: "It is going to be a great occasion. I am sure Old Trafford will be bouncing.

"We are really looking forward to it and we know the crowd will get right behind us.

"We have given ourselves every chance and, come Tuesday, we will be ready."
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Samster

Rio: Rooney's ready to fire

Rio Ferdinand has put European defences on red alert after expressing his view that Wayne Rooney is now ready to flourish in the UEFA Champions League following his midweek goal in Rome.

The Rooney that reigns supreme in the Premiership is all too often conspicuous only by absence on the European stage, with a two-and-a-half year goal drought testimony to his struggles away from domestic action.

At the Stadio Olimpico, though, Rooney showed just why he is so highly regarded with a sumptuous strike, which earned Manchester United a crucial away goal to take into the home tie at Old Trafford.

"I think it's a monkey off his back a little bit," Ferdinand said in the Sun.

"Everyone's been going on about him not scoring in Europe a lot.

"When you have a player with Wayne's ability, people will be asking questions if he hasn't scored for a couple of games. I was just happy he got a goal and now he can continue to do what he's doing."

Rooney's indifferent return in front of goal does not restrict itself to European exertions alone, with the player's last competitive international strike coming almost three years ago.

Ferdinand is quick to defend his team-mate's contribution, arguing his ability to change the course of a game with one imperious piece of skill, more than justifies his continued inclusion.

"It makes me laugh because we go away with England and everyone is showering him with comments and saying he's this, he's that, he's brilliant," he added.

"Then we come back from England and he's on a downer and got no confidence. I don't understand it.

"People sometimes need to take a step back from the situation and have a look at it. He's been doing well for us.

"People say he has been hot and cold. When? You tell me. If he was playing rubbish and not scoring goals, it would be a problem.

"But he's not been playing rubbish."
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Samster

WE'VE BEEN FRAMED
ITALIAN POLICE PIN BLAME ON UNITED AND SPURS FANS

THE ITALIAN government last night scandalously tried to blame Manchester United AND Spurs fans for the trouble that scarred the two clubs' European adventure.

In a deliberately provocative and unnecessary act, the Italian official responsible for public security in Rome, Achille Serra, staged an impromptu news conference in which he besmirched the reputation of the United fans attacked by missiles and police in Wednesday's Champions League game in the Stadio Olimpico.

And even more outrageously, Serra stepped miles beyond his jurisdiction to use photographs taken during Tottenham's UEFA Cup defeat in Seville to blacken the reputation of all English fans.

As UEFA stepped up its probes into the incidents in Rome and Seville that have been hotly contested by both English clubs and are likely to lead to heavy fines, the public official overstepped the mark to back the much-criticised Italian police. United have angrily denounced the overreaction by baton-wielding police who did nothing to prevent the fusillade of missiles thrown by the Roma supporters.

Home Secretary John Reid agreed there were serious "questions to ask" over the behaviour by the security forces in both Italy and Spain. But Serra accused United and Spurs fans of being behind the vicious scenes.

The claims from Italy came as United maintained that the problems were caused by police overreaction, and Spurs club secretary John Alexander said: "One disabled fan was hit with a baton with such force that it knocked him out of his wheelchair."

In London, Chief Superintendent Simon O'Brien, Borough Commander Haringey, who was at the Spurs match as an observer said: "The Spurs fans' behaviour was excellent throughout the day and the Spurs stewards did a remarkable and commendable job at the match."
Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Samster

My Reputation: Points: 2080 / Power: 0
machoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond reputemachoman has a reputation beyond repute

Fergie braced for final day battle for title
Sunday, April 08, 2007, 06:32:27 HRS

Portsmouth's Djimi Traore(L) and Gary O'Neil celebrate after Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand scored an own goal during their Premiership match at Portsmouth Hampshire. Edwin van der Sar blew the Premiership title race wide open with two errors that gifted Portsmouth a 2-1 win over Manchester United on Saturday. - AFP

Sir Alex Ferguson tipped the Premiership title race to be decided on the final day of the season after seeing Manchester United's lead clawed back by Chelsea to just three points for the first time this year.

United's hopes a repeat of their historic 1999 league, FA Cup and Champions League treble suffered a second set back in the space of a week as Wednesday's 2-1 defeat against Roma in Italy was repeated at Portsmouth on Saturday.

The loss, United's third in four seasons at Pompey's rundown Fratton Park home, leaves Ferguson's side needing to win five of their last six games to guarantee reclaiming the trophy after a three-year absence.

Ferguson, whose side travel to Chelsea in their penultimate match, said: "Losing was disappointing. An away game in the back of a European tie is never easy, especially having played most of Wednesday's game with ten-men.

"That coupled with the travelling took its toll on us. Chelsea will seize on this result but they have not been playing at their best either. We are still three points clear and have a superior goal difference and if I'd have been offered that at the start of the season I would have snapped your hand off.

"We have six important games left, three at home and three away and they are all cup finals between now and the end of the season.

"My team have been terrific up to now and we have got the players to do it. I think it could go to the wire and if we get to the last day of the season and need to beat West Ham at Old Trafford I would settle for that.

"We have got the benefit of an FA Cup semi final next weekend so we do not play again in the league for ten days. That break has come at the right time."

Portsmouth's Richard Hughes(L) watches Manchester United's Michael Carrick head the ball during their Premiership match at Portsmouth Hampshire. Edwin van der Sar blew the Premiership title race wide open with two errors that gifted Portsmouth a 2-1 win over Manchester United on Saturday. - AFP

United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar was at fault for both goals as Pompey gave their own UEFA Cup hopes a much-needed boost with only their second win of 2007.

Van der Sar spilled Benjani's long-range shot on the half hour mark, allowing Matt Taylor to slide in and bury the rebound. The experienced Dutchman made another uncharacteristic mistake for Rio Ferdinand's late own goal.

Ferdinand played a routine back pass to break up a Pompey attack but van der Sar took the strange decision to come towards the ball and allowed it to trickle past him and into the empty net.

John O'Shea grabbed a stoppage time consolation to stop David James claiming a new Premiership record 142nd clean sheet after the Portsmouth goalkeeper had spilled an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer shot.

Ferguson, whose side host Roma in the second leg of their European quarter final on Tuesday, added: "Their goalkeeper has made two or three excellent saves but it happens a lot that 'keepers are in that kind of form against us.

"I cannot fault my players. For the first twenty minutes of the second half we were fantastic. The first goal was unfortunate because Edwin made a save and it fell kindly to one of the players as against Roma.

"These things happen. It has not come at the best of times but we have been terrific all season and I expect us to recover."

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp said: "Today was a good day against a great Manchester United side. They are a fantastic team, play some great football and have had a great season.

"The championship is still there to be won for them. They have still got the advantage but Chelsea won't give up and it will be a great end to the season."

- AFP
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Samster

Man Utd boss Ferguson backs Primus tackles

Portsmouth have opened up the title race with a shock 2-1 win over Manchester United.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson saw an 88th minute own-goal by Rio Ferdinand seal Pompey's 2-1 win even though an error by David James allowed John O'Shea a tap-in reply two minutes later.

Defeat followed Wednesday's 2-1 reverse in the Champions League quarter-final first leg at Roma and Ferguson said: "We were coming off the back of a European tie and that's not easy at the best of times.

"We played for an hour with 10 men on Wednesday night and that caught up with us in the second half today.

"But we are still three points ahead and if I was given that at this stage at the start of the season I would have taken it.

"They are all cup finals now. It doesn't matter who you are up against. After the FA Cup semi final we have a 10-day break and that might just be coming at the right time for us.

"Chelsea have a lot of tough games coming up, too. So someone will make them suffer. It is hard to believe they will go six games without that happening.

"We have our next two at home and have to make the most of that but it could go to the last game now and if so I would settle for that.

"In fairness to the lads, the first 20 minutes of the second half was fantastic but then we got stretched and allowed them to open us up far too much.

"But I can't fault the effort and they have shown character all season. I expect them to recover from this now.

"Give Pompey credit, that is the best they have played for some time but for their first goal the rebound went straight to one of their players and that was a bit unfortunate for us.

"David James had a very good game in goal, but goalkeepers are often the man-of-the-match against us."

Ferguson did not claim Wayne Rooney's two penalty appeals in the match were justified after TV evidence showed two perfect tackles by Linvoy Primus robbed him but he added: "Rooney was unlucky with an offside decision against him just after the interval."
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Samster

Rossi supporting Red Devils

Parma starlet Giuseppe Rossi has not forgotten the club that owns his contract. “I will be supporting Manchester United against Roma.”

The youngster is on loan at the Stadio Tardini and scored a spectacular volley yesterday afternoon to secure a 1-0 win over Livorno.

Born in New Jersey, he rejected the chance to play for the USA in favour of a call to the Italian Under-21 squad, but that doesn’t mean his loyalties aren’t divided.

“I am a Manchester United player and hope my former teammates win on Tuesday,” he said of the Champions League quarter-final.

“They are a very strong team with few weak points. I am sure it will be a spectacular game. Roma are without Simone Perrotta and that is good news for United, as he is a fine player who can really hurt opponents on the counter-attack.”

The Giallorossi won the first leg 2-1, but travel to Old Trafford on Tuesday with the tie still in the balance.

Rossi has now scored four goals in 11 Serie A games with Parma, taking them out of the bottom two and within just one point of the safety zone.

However, he is set to return to Manchester at the end of the season – a club he first joined from Parma’s youth system in July 2004.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Samster

Ronaldo should stay at OT - Becks

Former England captain David Beckham has advised Cristiano Ronaldo to stay at Manchester United for the good of his career.

The Portugal winger has been linked with both Real Madrid - Beckham's club until the end of the season when he will move to Major League Soccer with the Los Angeles Galaxy - and Barcelona in recent months.

After last summer's World Cup Ronaldo was heavily criticised for the part he played in getting United team-mate Wayne Rooney sent off during England's quarter-final defeat against Portugal.

But Beckham, who received similar treatment after his sending-off at the 1998 World Cup, believes Ronaldo should stay at Old Trafford under the guidance of Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He is at the right club. He is being looked after by a manager who knows how to look after someone who has been through what he has," the former United midfielder told the Sunday Express.

"I may not have got through the things I did without the United manager, the players and the fans.

"I owe them everything."
Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Samster

NINTH PREMIERSHIP TITLE WILL NOT EASE GIGGS' FEARS OF FAILING IN EUROPE

Ryan Giggs can make history next month by becoming the first player to win nine Premiership medals – but it’s the fear of another failure in Europe which really spurs the winger on.

Winning is second-nature for the Welshman in domestic football, yet recent summers have been spent beating himself up over what he regards as Manchester United’s European underachievements.

It’s why Giggs shares manager Sir Alex Ferguson’s passion for the big European nights at Old Trafford.

Another one is coming around on Tuesday, when United aim to overturn a 2-1 deficit against Roma in the quarter-final of the Champions League.

Giggs played a major role in United’s Champions League triumph in 1999.

He admitted: “Having tasted victory once, it’s a burning desire of mine to win the European Cup again. I saw what it meant to the fans and what it did in terms of Manchester United’s stature.

“If I retired having won the Champions League just once, I would feel disappointed. To go seven or eight years and never match that occasion in Barcelona would definitely be a letdown.

“United have definitely had teams capable of emulating that feat in the past seasons. I’ve been lucky enough to have won almost every trophy more than once, except for the Champions League. I’m +determined to put that right.”

If United wrest the Premiership title off Chelsea, then the 33-year-old will be the proud possessor of a record-breaking nine title medals.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Samster

Jose: "Pressure is on United"

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has insisted the pendulum of pressure has swung Manchester United's way following the Reds' defeat to Portsmouth on at the weekend.

United crashed 2-1 to Pompey on Saturday, allowing their lead at the top of the table to be cut to just three points with six games remaining. And with the Premiership to take a back seat for the next week, Mourinho made it clear where he believes the pressure now lies.

"United are under pressure now," he said. "It has been a good weekend for us, but now it is about the Champions League and the FA Cup. I don't really want to speak about the Premiership at this stage. I only want to think about the quarter-finals of the Champions League and Valencia and the semi-finals of the FA Cup next weekend."

Chelsea are still in with a shout of winning an unprecedented quadruple and, having already won the League Cup, they take on Valencia at the Mestalla in the Champions League on Tuesday before heading to Blackburn next weekend for their FA Cup semi-final.

"They are big games," Mourinho continued. "We'll think about the Premiership next week. Yes, we can win all four competitions but we also know we can lose three of them."

United too are on course to take home the remaining three pieces of silverware on offer this season, although the defeat at Fratton Park has prompted questions to be asked of Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

United were nine points clear at the top of the Premiership two weeks ago, but Chelsea have been relentless in their pursuit of the Reds, and the champions have now managed to cut that lead to just three.

United host Roma at Old Trafford on Tuesday hoping to overturn a 2-1 deficit before facing Watford in their FA Cup semi-final next weekend.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Samster

Fergie knows Chelsea clash will be crucial

Following his side's defeat to Portsmouth, Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United's end-of-season clash with Chelsea has taken on greater significance.

United's lead at the top of the Premiership was cut to three points on Saturday as they crashed to a 2-1 defeat at Fratton Park and with their crunch match against Chelsea not being played until the last week of the season due to fixture congestion, the clash at Stamford Bridge is now likely to decide where the title ends up.

"Chelsea away is a very important one for us now," Ferguson said. "We have some young lads and they have some very big games to play in.

"I won't complain about losing to Portsmouth on Saturday but the main thing now is to recover and show our mettle."

United will have a chance to steady their ship with a ten-day break from Premiership duties, although with two crucial cup games to be played in that time, it is hardly likely to be a relaxing time.

First up for Ferguson's side is Roma at Old Trafford on Tuesday, when they will be hoping to turn around a 2-1 deficit in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final. And at the weekend United turn their attention to the FA Cup and a semi-final tie with Watford.

Ferguson admitted: "We have six league games to play but two big cup ties before that the 10-day break for those league matches has come to us at a great time - it's vital."
Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Samster

James backing United for title

Portsmouth keeper David James has admitted he wants Manchester United to win the Premiership as Chelsea's title bid is built on 'scabby 1-0 wins'.

James played a large part in frustrating United on Saturday as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Fratton Park that leaves Sir Alex Ferguson's side just three points ahead of the reigning champions.

With six games left to play the title run-in could be the closest fought battle in recent years, and James has revealed he is firmly in Ferguson's corner.

The former Liverpool keeper believes United hold the edge over their rivals in terms of pure entertainment, likening Jose Mourinho's side to George Graham's 'boring Arsenal' of the early 1990s.

"Chelsea might fancy themselves now, especially when they have got to play United at home," said James in The Sun.

"I fancy Chelsea, too, with their scabby 1-0 wins!

"That is the way they do it. United are all about goals and fantastic displays, Chelsea are about grinding out results - and arguably that is the mark of champions.

"As a fan, yes, I'd rather United win. But Chelsea have something to play for now.

"As much as they aren't battering teams, they are grinding out results. I'm sure Manchester United have something to think about now.

"Chelsea are like the old Arsenal sides. They win 1-0 and you call them a boring side."
Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Samster

Carrick ready for "great occasion"

Manchester United FC midfielder Michael Carrick is convinced that Wayne Rooney's away goal at the Stadio Olimpico has given them an excellent chance to progress to the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League.

Bouncing back
AS Roma take a 2-1 lead to Old Trafford on Tuesday for the second leg of the quarter-final tie, but Carrick insists the ability of Sir Alex Ferguson's side to overcome setbacks gives them the edge. They gave the perfect example of that in the Italian capital when they drew level following the dismissal of Paul Scholes. Carrick said: "The goal before half-time was a blow but we bounced back as we have done all season and I'm sure we'll do it again. Once you go behind it's vital [to score] and it does give you a better opportunity."

Great occasion
The Old Trafford crowd will also have a part to play and the 25-year-old thinks the fans can spur the Red Devils on to victory. "It's going to be a great occasion at Old Trafford," said Carrick. "It'll be bouncing - they'll get behind us and we're really looking forward to it. Come Tuesday we'll be ready and we've given ourselves a great chance. The situation is we have to score and we're confident we can do that. We're always confident."

Former finalists
Should United overturn their first-leg deficit, the 1999 winners will reach the semi-finals of the competition for the first time since the 2001/02 season. Roma will be desperate to progress in the hope of emulating their class of 1984 who went to the final of Europe's premier club competition – only to be beaten on penalties by another English side, Liverpool FC.

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1