PDA

View Full Version : Sex, spas, sleaze: what Orchard Road of Singapore hides in plain sight

masterwanker
02-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Beneath the veneer of glitzy malls on the Lion City’s favourite shopping belt lies a thriving covert sex trade

By P. Silvam

1 Jul 2018

It is evening on a sultry Sunday and a meandering crowd of families, tourists and food delivery riders jostle for space on the footpath outside Concorde Hotel. Yet all is still and silent inside the building’s shopping wing, except for two units offering massage and facial services.

In one of them, located beside the security desk, a middle-aged lady wearing a lime green halter top and beige miniskirt performs a series of jumping jacks in full view of passers-by.

Her eyes dart occasionally at male tourists, cajoling them to join her. For those who do stop by to chat, she gesticulates towards a partitioned room behind her and indicates that “it’s safer to talk inside” while pointing to the CCTV cameras near the unit.

On the floor above, a group of toddlers run amok at the lobby of Concorde Hotel while other hotel guests read, dine and natter.

Orchard Road, the barber’s pole of capitalism in Singapore, is a conglomeration of contemporary urban lifestyle clichés that is home to world-renowned hotels, Michelin-star restaurants and global brands such as Hermès, Cartier and Apple.

Hong Kong sugar babies, Singapore sugar daddies – but it’s NOT about selling sex, these dating websites insistp

Yet, beneath this well-curated veneer of glitzy malls and high-end living lies a thriving sex trade catering to tourists and locals alike. In a country with strict anti-vice laws and legalised brothel areas, the existence of a covert sex trade in a high-end shopping district touted as the “Milan of Asia” is something of a social anomaly.

“I’ve worked at Orchard Road for more than 30 years and till today I get tourists who get so surprised when they see the seedy side of Orchard Road,” says a 63-year-old tailor at Orchard Plaza who asks to be known only as Richard. “As long as there are desperate men around, there will always be sex even in the cleanest of places – you can be 100 per cent assured of that.”

The open secret

The vice central of the shopping belt is Orchard Towers, only a short walk from the Shangri-La Hotel and St. Regis where US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un stayed, respectively, for their recent summit.

Bar hostesses look on from a corridor in Cuppage Plaza. Photo: C Lee

Built in 1975, the 18-storey office building is notorious for its assortment of girlie bars, massage parlours and seedy nightlife that occupy four storeys, earning it the nickname “Four Floors of Whores”.

A visit to the building after midnight on a Friday is illuminating. Four law enforcement officers attend a report of disorderly conduct outside a hostess bar on the second floor, while less than 20 metres away, three massage parlours continue to operate with scantily clad women on high stools calling out to male passers-by.

‘I trafficked women at a famous Hong Kong nightclub’p

Outside the building, taxi drivers roll down their windows and offer to take male tourists to places where they can have “extra fun” depending on their budget.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/2152691/sex-spas-sleaze-what-orchard-road-singapore-hides-plain-sight

Camryaltis
02-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Beneath the veneer of glitzy malls on the Lion City’s favourite shopping belt lies a thriving covert sex trade

By P. Silvam

1 Jul 2018

It is evening on a sultry Sunday and a meandering crowd of families, tourists and food delivery riders jostle for space on the footpath outside Concorde Hotel. Yet all is still and silent inside the building’s shopping wing, except for two units offering massage and facial services.

In one of them, located beside the security desk, a middle-aged lady wearing a lime green halter top and beige miniskirt performs a series of jumping jacks in full view of passers-by.

Her eyes dart occasionally at male tourists, cajoling them to join her. For those who do stop by to chat, she gesticulates towards a partitioned room behind her and indicates that “it’s safer to talk inside” while pointing to the CCTV cameras near the unit.

On the floor above, a group of toddlers run amok at the lobby of Concorde Hotel while other hotel guests read, dine and natter.

Orchard Road, the barber’s pole of capitalism in Singapore, is a conglomeration of contemporary urban lifestyle clichés that is home to world-renowned hotels, Michelin-star restaurants and global brands such as Hermès, Cartier and Apple.

Hong Kong sugar babies, Singapore sugar daddies – but it’s NOT about selling sex, these dating websites insistp

Yet, beneath this well-curated veneer of glitzy malls and high-end living lies a thriving sex trade catering to tourists and locals alike. In a country with strict anti-vice laws and legalised brothel areas, the existence of a covert sex trade in a high-end shopping district touted as the “Milan of Asia” is something of a social anomaly.

“I’ve worked at Orchard Road for more than 30 years and till today I get tourists who get so surprised when they see the seedy side of Orchard Road,” says a 63-year-old tailor at Orchard Plaza who asks to be known only as Richard. “As long as there are desperate men around, there will always be sex even in the cleanest of places – you can be 100 per cent assured of that.”

The open secret

The vice central of the shopping belt is Orchard Towers, only a short walk from the Shangri-La Hotel and St. Regis where US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un stayed, respectively, for their recent summit.

Bar hostesses look on from a corridor in Cuppage Plaza. Photo: C Lee

Built in 1975, the 18-storey office building is notorious for its assortment of girlie bars, massage parlours and seedy nightlife that occupy four storeys, earning it the nickname “Four Floors of Whores”.

A visit to the building after midnight on a Friday is illuminating. Four law enforcement officers attend a report of disorderly conduct outside a hostess bar on the second floor, while less than 20 metres away, three massage parlours continue to operate with scantily clad women on high stools calling out to male passers-by.

‘I trafficked women at a famous Hong Kong nightclub’p

Outside the building, taxi drivers roll down their windows and offer to take male tourists to places where they can have “extra fun” depending on their budget.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/2152691/sex-spas-sleaze-what-orchard-road-singapore-hides-plain-sight

STOMP reported abt someone who was asked to tail her spouse to Orchard towers n got a video clip of the hostess doing a lap dance and exposing her breasts.

conquer
03-07-2018, 01:49 AM
I double checked the date of the article to make sure it was not written in 1998. :o

Keita8
03-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Didn't know Singapore got so many exciting places .

HoweK3
03-07-2018, 01:54 PM
This story is like trying to beat a dead horse. We all know how 'frequent' this type of story is written over & over again once every few years. Rolling eyes.

jgosh80
03-07-2018, 04:09 PM
A foreign media writing about vice in spore. And it's not even something new or trending at the moment. I wonder what is their motive.

sionglim
03-07-2018, 08:11 PM
This news appear in yahoo last week.

1st july news at sg. Yahoo.com

sionglim
03-07-2018, 08:12 PM
A foreign media writing about vice in spore. And it's not even something new or trending at the moment. I wonder what is their motive.
no trump summit in hk.

sionglim
03-07-2018, 08:13 PM
This story is like trying to beat a dead horse. We all know how 'frequent' this type of story is written over & over again once every few years. Rolling eyes.

No every yr have, last one were few mth back, abt orchard rd

sionglim
03-07-2018, 08:14 PM
STOMP reported abt someone who was asked to tail her spouse to Orchard towers n got a video clip of the hostess doing a lap dance and exposing her breasts.

Yes i saw this at stomp too

JoesephToh
03-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Not happy, no trump summit in hk.

Who not happy ???

sionglim
03-07-2018, 08:27 PM
3rd july the news appear in new straits times web site

sionglim
03-07-2018, 10:37 PM

Advertising ask ppl come here
Or is it fake news

moneytarik
03-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Who not happy ???

Yalor , who ah ??

deepu
03-07-2018, 11:09 PM
I double checked the date of the article to make sure it was not written in 1998. :o

Recently anyone from government got dirty news which need to be camouflaged? :D

IanRush9
03-07-2018, 11:12 PM

Which mountain are you from ?

GaoSiewDai
03-07-2018, 11:25 PM

Maybe he was not asked GQ? :D

sionglim
04-07-2018, 12:38 AM
He dint say where got minas n pinoy.

donut88
04-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Which city in the world doesn't have vice?

Even Vatican and all ME countries have if one were to look closer......

sionglim
04-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Which city in the world doesn't have vice?

Even Vatican and all ME countries have if one were to look closer......

read further down, stupid hooker say force to come here sell her body.
The word Human Trafficking is in the report.

That wat he hate.

More raid comin

Less preferential status from big brother country

sionglim
12-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Now scmp got another news abt spore.