PDA

View Full Version : Heartland brothels make residents see red

skyleon
02-10-2017, 07:21 AM
2 hours ago

MPs in Pioneer and West Coast call for more enforcement action after residents voice concerns

Tan Tam Mei

Ng Jun Sen

From the outside, the four-room Housing Board flat in Jurong West Street 61 looked innocuous enough, except for the constant stream of men who flock there.

Residents said that for the last one year, the rented unit has housed a number of foreign women, and some were shocked to learn that it operates as a brothel.

Despite a number of raids in the area, such brothels keep returning, attracted by low rents and the belief that they are less likely to be detected there.

MPs in Pioneer and West Coast are calling for more enforcement action after receiving feedback from residents, who complained that brothels have emerged in HDB flats in the area.

Pioneer MP Cedric Foo said he has received such feedback about suspected vice activity in his ward.

"Such undesirable activities should not be tolerated and I hope the police and the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority can do more to stop them," he added.

The unit in Jurong West Street 61 falls under his ward.

Delivery driver Jasman Samad, 48, who lives below the unit, said: "With all these strangers about, I'm very concerned about the safety of my family. The authorities should do something."

The Straits Times visited the unit recently after first becoming aware of it from an online listing. The unit is in a block about five minutes from Pioneer MRT station. Arrangements to visit had to be made through mobile text messages.

continue reading here : http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/heartland-brothels-make-residents-see-red

madpig88
02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
More raids on the way for sure.

zl1983
02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Shall go CSI this plc aft wrk.

dax2
02-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Sure gone case liao .

r.fowler
02-10-2017, 02:32 PM
actually, to be frank.... if you are staying just next door, and have a young kid etc... you will also feel uneasy and will make a report... why do you want vice activities and strangers loitering along the corridor every day?

iluvbreast
02-10-2017, 02:57 PM
I think this is a classic case of 'not my backyard'.

To be honest, nobody wants to live next to these heartland brothels if you have kids, it is not a wholesome place for them to stay.

FRwriter
02-10-2017, 03:53 PM
actually, to be frank.... if you are staying just next door, and have a young kid etc... you will also feel uneasy and will make a report... why do you want vice activities and strangers loitering along the corridor every day?

I know which block. My friend stays same block but a few floors apart.
He said many neighbours have been talking about it for quite some time already.

oddeye82
02-10-2017, 05:19 PM
I also know which block, this type really bad environment for the ppl staying there. So near the mrt and many ppl walking downstairs. They are really daring, most likely raids will be conducted soon...

r.fowler
02-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Yes precisely...

the mentality of not in my backyard

otamay
02-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Frankly speaking, they are too close for comfort.

conquer
02-10-2017, 07:11 PM

First of all, those costumers who visit the "brothel" do nothing harmful. They don't steal, they don't rob... they don't even talk loud. They just appear and they gone... that's it.

Yes, maybe for some people it is just the scene is uneasy to look at. :o

conquer
02-10-2017, 07:16 PM
LOL... The red lighting is so obvious.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2017/10/02/ST_20171002_TMBROTHEL02NEW_3459064.jpg?itok=gX2hnT-q

I've been to the brothels established in the residential areas so many times (in fact, that's the only type of brothels I would go), but this is the first time I see it from another block. :p

newyorker88
02-10-2017, 08:22 PM
HDB is for living, not a business place for such. More raids to come. For sure.

zl1983
02-10-2017, 08:38 PM
I know which block. My friend stays same block but a few floors apart.
He said many neighbours have been talking about it for quite some time already.

blk # ends w xx1A?

freebiez
02-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Where is the app?

perfection89
02-10-2017, 10:52 PM
LOL... The red lighting is so obvious.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2017/10/02/ST_20171002_TMBROTHEL02NEW_3459064.jpg?itok=gX2hnT-q

I've been to the brothels established in the residential areas so many times (in fact, that's the only type of brothels I would go), but this is the first time I see it from another block. :p

later turn out to be those temple in HDB then i arm cheo. :o :p

alec
02-10-2017, 11:41 PM
later turn out to be those temple in HDB then i arm cheo. :o :p

Actually I did saw a couple of those temples in bt batok area, bo bian also red lights... but I think ththgotis one got tip off, so as a responsible journalist, I think they are zooming in on a marked unit.

titan
03-10-2017, 11:12 AM
well.. it's part of the aftereffect of clearing up the streets of geylang. demand is there but u force it underground and into the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

iluvbreast
03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
First of all, those costumers who visit the "brothel" do nothing harmful. They don't steal, they don't rob... they don't even talk loud. They just appear and they gone... that's it.

Yes, maybe for some people it is just the scene is uneasy to look at. :o

Yes, in Singapore, I agree most customers will just discretely visit the place and leave....we always say Sg is so small, sure to run into someone...

It is the perception of the other things that these brothels may bring, drugs, gangs and so on.....but then again if I don't mind, I would be staying in Geylang next to the licensed brothels.

I still support the drive to close these brothels, HDB estates are meant to be home, I won't think I want these customers to leer at my wife or daughter when they visit next door.