PDA

View Full Version : Chitchat TOC and the Independent SG to share content

Sammyboy RSS Feed
27-05-2016, 10:30 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Not sure if this is good or bad news. TOC's Howard Lee is already mired in a number of controversies. He has accepted donations from Jeanette's husband $3.5k, Tan Wah Piow $5k and Paul Thambyah $13k and the articles are no longer good, independent or even accurate.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...dent-singapore (http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/toc-ltd-partner-share-content-independent-singapore)
Quote:
TOC Ltd to partner, share content with The Independent Singapore

BY
KENNETH CHENG
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: 4:15 AM, MAY 27, 2016
SINGAPORE — Following its split from The Online Citizen, the company that used to own and manage the website will be joining hands with another socio-political website.

The Opinion Collaborative Ltd (TOC Ltd) is set to announce today a partnership with The Independent Singapore (TISG).

Prior to the announcement, TOC Ltd director Howard Lee revealed yesterday that content sharing is on the cards.

He cited a discussion that TOC Ltd organised in March with Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan. Content from the event was carried on TISG, he added.

The discussion was held at The Agora on Sin Ming Lane, a venue run by TOC Ltd. Such activities are “where the partnership would take shape”, Mr Lee said.

Nevertheless, he was tight-lipped about other details of the collaboration. Adding that the two organisations are exploring possible ways to work together, Mr Lee said: “We are willing to try anything as long as there is synergy between the two entities.”

When contacted, TISG publisher Kumaran Pillai confirmed that an aspect of the partnership would revolve around the use of TOC Ltd’s facility. He added: “We are happy to carry some of (TOC Ltd’s) content from time to time if it makes sense for our editorial team.”

A memorandum of understanding will be signed between TOC Ltd and TISG today, Mr Pillai said. TOC Ltd and TISG would use the first six months of their partnership to evaluate “potential synergies”, he added.

Mr Pillai said TISG would also unveil a new editor at the press conference today and share how it has survived in what Mr Pillai described as a crowded marketplace.

Yesterday, TODAY reported that two socio-political websites, Inconvenient Questions and Six-Six News, have called time on their operations.

Citing the news of the closures, Mr Pillai noted the challenging backdrop for websites such as TISG. Nevertheless, the website has found a way to generate revenue and keep the site financially sustainable, he said.

He added that TISG was “growing out of a socio-political mould”, with the launch of a business section three weeks ago. It has also been receiving article contributions from countries such as the United States and Australia.

Regarding The Online Citizen, Mr Lee said TOC Ltd would not rule out any collaborations with the website in the future.

Nevertheless, it has not received any proposals from The Online Citizen, with which it parted ways last September. TOC Ltd remains on the lookout for media partners, said Mr Lee.

Meanwhile, Six-Six News publisher Kannan Chandran said he was saddened that his website could not be sustained. Responding to TODAY’s queries, Mr Chandran said: “Given the economic climate, this has been a difficult time for a start-up in the media space.

“The team, whose contributions I value, worked diligently to get the site going, but it was disappointing that the anticipated subsequent funding didn’t come through as expected.”

He added: “As soon as I knew of this I explained the situation to the team, and they were paid for the work done. I wish the circumstances were different, and I can understand the frustration the staff are going through. I am very sad that our hard work and personal sacrifice have come to this.”

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?230233-TOC-and-the-Independent-SG-to-share-content&goto=newpost).