PDA

View Full Version : S'pore bought "dozens" of Merkava tanks last year to save Jew's tank production line

Sammyboy RSS Feed
02-05-2016, 10:10 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

So, apparently, MANTAK (the Israeli Defence Forces' ordnance arm and maker of the Merkava Main Battle Tank) was going to wind down the production line due to lack of orders for its tank. Once production has ceased, it costs quite a bit of money to start up again. As well, many employees are laid off and for a large ticket item like tank production, the consequences for the economy would be significant.

Apparently, according to French website Intelligence Online - Global Strategic Intelligence, S'pore became the white knight in shining armour coming to rescue the jewish princess (no pun intended). talks opened in 2014 to purchase the 65 ton Merkava to use as a mobile artillery piece (never mind we already have the SP Howitzer Primus 155mm), and an order was placed in 2015 for dozens of Merkavas. The report does not state exactly how many or which version (I assume here it will be Merkava 4).

The report in my opinion is disconcerting in many ways. This is not the first time that Sinkie taxpayer money has been spend to save Israeli backsides and their economy. See Iron Dome for this. Also, if this report is accurate, then the use of a Merkava as a mobile arty piece is a gross misuse of its purpose. If that were the purpose, the current battalion plus of Leo 2s can do that quite well. And even the old 105mm equipped KPs parked in certain strategic areas in singapore can reach 10-20km in the indirect fire arty role into malaysia. A Leo 2 should be able to reach 20km easily with its 120mm gun. How much of the report is true and how much must be read with a grain of salt, no one knows. But with the defence budget climbing every year and currently over $14 billion, with almost zero accountability and transparency, it just opens up the can or worms to abuse.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?229027-S-pore-bought-quot-dozens-quot-of-Merkava-tanks-last-year-to-save-Jew-s-tank-production-line&goto=newpost).