PDA

View Full Version : Any former or active police officers in this forum?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
03-04-2016, 02:20 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Because I would like to know more about laws regarding cycling and the powers of private security guards in Singapore.

I am working as a school guard and, recently, a senior colleague at work told me that I have to force cyclists onto the road, even after they have dismounted and are just pushing their bicycles along the side of the pedestrian walkway.

I don't feel good about this order because:

1) After a cyclist has dismounted from his bicycle, he's really just like any other pedestrian using the walkway. Except he's pushing a bicycle along so he's actually slightly slower.

2) The main road, with a regular flow of fast and heavy vehicles, is really no place for a cyclist on a bicycle. So when we force cyclists to go on the road, there's really only the very edge, along the yellow lines, where they can maneuver.

Now, since the narrow strip of tarmac is being used by speeding cyclists, a slow pedestrian pushing a bicycle is at serious risk of getting hit by a cyclist. AND let's say a cyclist wants to avoid a bicycle-pusher, he would have to swerve further out to the main road where he would run the risk of getting hit by a faster and heavier vehicle.

I am really worried that my orders might be illegal and might actually get someone killed in a tragic traffic accident.

What I want to know is if my concerns are valid.

A friend (not a security guard) also suggested that I write to the Singapore Police Force to seek their advice regarding this issue. But which department do I ask? Which email address should I address my concern to?

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?227614-Any-former-or-active-police-officers-in-this-forum&goto=newpost).