PDA

View Full Version : New GPS ERP, waste of $556 million by LTA, when it can be done for free now

Sammyboy RSS Feed
25-02-2016, 07:50 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

So, let me get this straight. SOme scholar fucktard in the LTA, supported by Minister Lewd Fuck You at that time, wants to spend $556 million to put into place a GPS based ERP system. The main goal of which is to charge motorists for the mileage they drive on the roads.

The agency first issued a tender in October 2014 to build a new ERP system based on Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) technology, which charges motorists according to distance travelled on congested roads and removes the need for physical gantries. Mr Lui Tuck Yew, then the Transport Minister, said this would be a more equitable pricing method.

But wait a minute. Don't we have to renew and pay road tax every 12 months or every 6 months? When we go to renew our road tax, couldn't the odometer reading be noted and verified by a staff? When we go the next time to renew our road tax, lets say 6 months later, the odometer can again be verified by staff during the renewal. If the difference between the first and latest odometer reading indicates 6000 km have been driven, why don't the car owner just pay the for the usage at the same time as he renews his road tax? If the pricing is 25 cents per km traveled, then the motorist pays $1500 along with what ever his road tax renewal is. This way, you don't need any fancy $556 million GPS ERP. Its low tech, cheap and works. And it uses existing procedures and staff already in place.

I mean if you pay your road tax at post offices or whatever, it might be hard to do. But if you pay at Vicom, it should not be a problem. If you take a picture of your odometer reading with your handphone, and show it to the staff when you do your road tax renewal, that should be good enough to verify mileage. Especially if the pic is also dated. There must be some ways to kill two birds with one stone.

Am I wrong or is this solution too cost effective and not enough kickback to the PAP?

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?225667-New-GPS-ERP-waste-of-556-million-by-LTA-when-it-can-be-done-for-free-now&goto=newpost).