PDA

View Full Version : Birth control Patch

Punder
29-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Went to clinic to sent my baby nephew and notice this poster on birth control patch.. weekly use..

wondering if anyone's wife/gf on this method and any side effect that can be disturbing?

Thank you all.:o

icesmoke
29-08-2006, 03:56 PM
my wife was using this patch for quite a while.. no problems or side effect for her..effective and useful especially if u planning for holidays,, no need to worry about her bleeding :p

1 cycle consists of 4 weeks , eg if u start on a Monday, change the patch on the 2nd and 3rd Monday... on the 4th Monday dont use and menses will come... on the 5th Monday start again a new cycle.

however i think its better if you get your family doctor for his advice as this patch might not be suitable for everyone..
hope this helps :)

Punder
30-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanx for the info bro.

Just want to noe more, how long before thepatch actually start to take effect after pasting the patch?

Also, how much does it cost?

i think this is million times better than pills...

Thanx for helping me cleaing my doubts..:o

Punder
30-08-2006, 12:36 AM
How Does It Work?
The combination of the hormones progesterone and estrogen in the patch prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from the ovaries during a girl's monthly cycle). If an egg isn't released, a girl can't get pregnant because there's nothing for a guy's sperm to fertilize.

The hormones in the patch also thicken the mucus produced in the cervix (which sits within the vagina and acts as the opening to the uterus), making it difficult for sperm to enter and reach any eggs that may have been released. The hormones can also sometimes affect the lining of the uterus so that if the egg is fertilized it will have a hard time attaching to the wall of the uterus.

Like other birth control methods that use hormones, such as the birth control pill or ring, a girl begins the use of the birth control patch on the first day of her menstrual cycle or the first Sunday after her menstrual cycle begins. She will place the patch on her skin once a week for 3 weeks in a row. (The patch should be applied to one of four areas: the abdomen, buttocks, upper arm, or upper torso — except for the breasts). On the fourth week, no patch is worn, and a girl's period should start during this time.

It's important to apply a new patch on the same day every week to ensure the patch keeps working effectively. For example, a girl who applies her first patch on a Monday should always apply her patches on a Monday. When it's time to change the patch, pull the old one off first, before applying a new patch. Place the new patch on a different area from the old patch (but still on one of the four recommended areas listed above) to avoid skin irritation. Don't apply the patch to skin that is red, irritated, or cut.

If you forget to apply a new patch on the right day, or if the patch becomes loose and falls off, read the instructions that come in the package or call your doctor. You may need to use a backup method of birth control for a while, such as condoms, or stop having sex for a while to protect against pregnancy. Also, if you stop using the patch for any reason, you will need to begin using another method of birth control, usually after 24 hours of removing your last patch.

It's OK to participate in your normal activities like swimming and exercise while wearing the patch. You can also get it wet in the shower or in the bath. However, the patch should not be moved or removed until the week is up (pulling the patch off to reposition or move it may cause it to lose some of its stickiness and it might fall off easily). Don't try to change the size of a patch by trimming it and don't try and attach it with tape. Your doctor will be able to advise you on what to do if the patch falls off.

The patch should not be applied over makeup, creams, lotions, powder, or other skin products as these may prevent it from sticking well. (Skin products may also affect how hormones are absorbed by the skin.)

How Well Does It Work?
Ongoing studies suggest the birth control patch may be as effective or nearly as effective as the birth control pill. That means that about 5 to 8 out of 100 couples will have an unintended pregnancy during the first year of use. Of course, the chance of getting pregnant depends on whether you use the patch correctly. Delaying or missing a weekly application or removing a patch too early reduces its effectiveness and increases the chance a girl will become pregnant.

For girls who weigh more than 198 pounds (90 kilograms), the contraceptive patch may be less effective in preventing pregnancy.

In general, how well each type of birth control method works depends on a lot of things. These include whether a person has any health conditions or is taking any medications that might interfere with its use. How effective the patch is at preventing pregnancy also depends on whether the method chosen is convenient — and whether the person remembers to use it correctly all the time.

For teens who want to avoid pregnancy, abstinence (the decision to not have sex) is the only method that always prevents pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Protection Against STDs
The birth control patch does not protect against STDs. For those having sex, condoms must always be used along with birth control patches to protect against STDs.

Possible Side Effects
The birth control patch is a safe and effective method of birth control. Most young women who use the patch have no side effects. Smoking cigarettes while using the patch can increase a girl's risk of certain side effects, which is why health professionals advise women who use the patch not to smoke.

The side effects that some women have while using the patch are similar to those experienced with the birth control pill. These may include:

irregular menstrual bleeding
nausea, weight gain, headaches, dizziness, and breast tenderness
mood changes
blood clots (rare in women under 35 who do not smoke)
Other possible side effects seen in patch users include:

skin reactions at the site of application of the patch
problems with contact lens use — a change in vision or inability to wear the lenses
menstrual cramps
These side effects are usually mild and tend to disappear after 2 or 3 months.

Who Uses It?
The birth control patch may be a good choice for sexually active young women who weigh less than 198 pounds (90 kilograms) and find it difficult to remember to take a pill every day or who have difficulty swallowing pills.

Not all women can — or should — use the birth control patch. In some cases, medical or other conditions make the use of the patch less effective or more risky. For example, it is not recommended for women who have had blood clots, high blood pressure, certain types of cancers, certain types of migraine headaches, or uncontrolled diabetes. It's recommended that girls who have had unexplained vaginal bleeding (bleeding that is not during their periods) or who suspect they may be pregnant should talk to their doctors, discontinue using the patch, and use another form of birth control in the meantime.

Girls who are interested in learning more about the possible health benefits and risks of different types of birth control, including the patch, should talk to a doctor or other health professional.

How Do You Get It?
A doctor or a nurse practitioner must prescribe the patch. He or she should ask questions about health and family medical history, and may also do a complete physical exam, including a blood pressure measurement and a pelvic exam. If recommending the patch, the doctor or nurse practitioner will write a prescription and provide instructions on how to use it. Those who start using the patch may be asked to return within several months for a blood pressure measurement and to ensure that there are no problems. After that, a doctor may recommend routine pelvic exams once or twice a year or as needed.

How Much Does It Cost?
The patch usually costs between $30 and $35 a month, although health and family planning clinics (such as Planned Parenthood) might sell them for less. In addition, the birth control patch and doctor's visits are covered by many health insurance plans.

MMM88
30-08-2006, 11:16 PM
My CO uses patch toooo...it works great except it may cause some discomfort ...like rashes ....thus , it is best to switch sides every week lor........;)

loner99
30-08-2006, 11:33 PM
For purposes of convinience I would recommend using intrauterine device (IUD). However the device can only be inserted into the women's reproductive organ by a certified doctor. Once inserted you dont have to use patch, condoms, pills or what have you for preventing pregnancy. The IUD how ever needs to be removed by doctor if the women intends to reproduce again.

Cheers

Skye
31-08-2006, 02:02 AM
My CO too used to use this patch, called Evra or something.
It had to be applied (stuck) during the sunday of the last flow of your girl's menstration or something if i can remember right.

My CO did experience some mild reactions to the patch though, like irregular bleeding and dizziness (nausea), though it should clear up and stabilise within the 2nd month or so.

There is another type of birth control which we are currently using. Its effectiveness lasts for 3 years though. It requires a simple invasive procedure, injecting a small rod into your partner's forearm. Painless and discreet though.
Maybe you can ask your doctors about this, and decide which will suit your lifestyle/relationship best.

Cheers
Not a gynae
Skye

Me Siam Bu
31-08-2006, 02:06 AM
Wow nice info u hv here ha ha thanks :)

cantona66
31-08-2006, 11:22 AM
To all the Samsters whose wives are using "Evra", please take note that Evra was under fire in the United States as some women died after using it. The stories of the women who died were featured in an American program called "20/20" on Channel News Asia a few months back. You may want to suggest to your wives to consult doctors on the continued use of Evra.

SittingBull
31-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Went to clinic to sent my baby nephew and notice this poster on birth control patch.. weekly use..

wondering if anyone's wife/gf on this method and any side effect that can be disturbing?

Thank you all.:o

One of the Oprah Winfrey's show was about this birth control patch and apparently, a few died from using it. You may want to do some research first before advocating the use to your partners. Its just something i watched so don't take my word from it... Cheers

i love you
08-09-2006, 07:35 AM
anyone know if this is availble in singapore or how to get one?

DonNoAnyThing
08-09-2006, 07:48 AM
is it in singapore?

How Do You Get It?
A doctor or a nurse practitioner must prescribe the patch. He or she should ask questions about health and family medical history, and may also do a complete physical exam, including a blood pressure measurement and a pelvic exam. If recommending the patch, the doctor or nurse practitioner will write a prescription and provide instructions on how to use it. Those who start using the patch may be asked to return within several months for a blood pressure measurement and to ensure that there are no problems. After that, a doctor may recommend routine pelvic exams once or twice a year or as needed.

How Much Does It Cost?
The patch usually costs between $30 and $35 a month, although health and family planning clinics (such as Planned Parenthood) might sell them for less. In addition, the birth control patch and doctor's visits are covered by many health insurance plans.

DonNoAnyThing
08-09-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.bsu.edu/web/acolson/Awards/birthcontrolpatch.jpg

DonNoAnyThing
08-09-2006, 07:55 AM
New Concerns About Birth Control Patch
July 17, 2005

By Mary Nam

UNDATED - The Associate Press reports the first birth control patch may pose a health risk to women.

According to federal drug safety reports obtained by the AP under a Freedom of Information Act request, 12 women died last year from blood clots believed to be related to the patch Ortho Evra. The AP says their report indicates the risk of dying or suffering a blood clot while using the patch was about three times higher than while using birth control pills.

The patch is marketed as more convenient than the pill, which women must take daily. Patch-maker Ortho McNeil says it's just as safe, too.

The company insists none of the deaths can be directly attributed to the patch.

''Although we are investigating each and every one of the reports that we get, we have not drawn any causal relationships to the medication,'' said Dr. Katherine LaGuardia, Ortho McNeil's director of women's health care.

Blood clots are an accepted risk from hormonal birth control because estrogen promotes blood coagulation. The AP admits not all doctors who saw their report were alarmed.

There are dozens of kinds of birth control -- from the pill, to injections, even a 'ring.' The makers of Ortho Evra say millions of women use the patch because it works and because it's safe.

The families of the women who died from blood clots disagree wholeheartedly. Several lawsuits against Ortho McNeil have already been filed.

Ortho McNeil insists none of the deaths can be directly attributed to the patch

Chester
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Looks like Paris Hilton is using the patch.

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/gossip/things-on-paris-hiltons-body-an-update-018807.php

:eek:

alf98
09-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Don't know leh...The last time they introduce this patch was a total failure...As Asian women don't like it as it is hot lah.......expecially in tropical countries at which we need to take bath few times a day whor.....not veri convinence leh!!!!

kodomo83
09-09-2006, 06:47 PM
bro any idea where can get? i don;t remember they introduce it lay?:confused:

petainrd
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Gynae will have it.
But I have seen it at GPs too...

Actually it's ok... Just stick it on the butt...

bro any idea where can get? i don;t remember they introduce it lay?:confused: