PDA

View Full Version : how many of you here have HPV?

ironmaiden89
05-01-2016, 06:02 PM
my partner just told me she is diagnosed with hpv through her pap smear. ...now i wonder if i have it. I will have to check it. It's a scary virus that most people don't know

Big Sexy
05-01-2016, 08:19 PM
HPV is rather common so the chance of u having it is rather high.. for all u know she could have got it from you...

point to note .....like HSV (herpes).. HPV is pass via skin contact so condom does not help alot and even though the HPV virus cannot really be treated, there is a vaccine for it..
she should have gone for the HPV vaccine.

https://sammyboyforum.com/showpost.php?p=750693&postcount=3

my partner just told me she is diagnosed with hpv through her pap smear. ...now i wonder if i have it. I will have to check it. It's a scary virus that most people don't know

sammyboyfor
06-01-2016, 02:49 AM

There is no HPV test for men at the moment.

However since HPV is the most common of all sexually transmitted diseases, the likelihood that you are infected is high if you are sexually active.

It is no big deal as the disease normally resolves by itself without treatment.

However if you have visible warts or a flat wart infection (normally detected using 5% acetic acid solution) the infected areas can be treated chemically or with laser removal.

For more information read http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

sammyboyfor
06-01-2016, 02:53 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

Nearly all sexually active people will get human papillomavirus (HPV) at some time in their life. Although most HPV infections go away on their own without causing problems, HPV can cause men to develop genital warts, or some kinds of cancer. Getting vaccinated against HPV can help prevent these health problems.

What is HPV?

HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection. HPV is a viral infection that can be spread from one person to another person through anal, vaginal, or oral sex, or through other close skin-to-skin touching during sexual activity. If you are sexually active you can get HPV, and nearly all sexually active people get infected with HPV at some point in their lives. It is important to understand that getting HPV is not the same thing as getting HIV or HSV (herpes).

How do men get HPV?

You can get HPV by having sex with someone who is infected with HPV. This disease is spread easily during anal or vaginal sex, and it can also be spread through oral sex or other close skin-to-skin touching during sex. HPV can be spread even when an infected person has no visible signs or symptoms.

Will HPV cause health problems for me?

Most of the time HPV infections completely go away and don’t cause any health problems. However, if an infection does not go away on its own, it is possible to develop HPV symptoms months or years after getting infected. This makes it hard to know exactly when you became infected. Lasting HPV infection can cause genital warts or certain kinds of cancer. It is not known why some people develop health problems from HPV and others do not.

What are the symptoms of HPV?

Most men who get HPV never develop symptoms and the infection usually goes away completely by itself. However, if HPV does not go away, it can cause genital warts or certain kinds of cancer.

See your healthcare provider if you have questions about anything new or unusual such as warts, or unusual growths, lumps, or sores on your penis, scrotum, anus, mouth, or throat.

What are the symptoms of genital warts?

Genital warts usually appear as a small bump or group of bumps in the genital area around the penis or the anus. These warts might be small or large, raised or flat, or shaped like a cauliflower. The warts may go away, or stay the same, or grow in size or number. Usually, a healthcare provider can diagnose genital warts simply by looking at them. Genital warts can come back, even after treatment. The types of HPV that cause warts do not cause cancer.

Can HPV cause cancer?

Yes. HPV infection isn’t cancer but can cause changes in the body that lead to cancer. HPV infections usually go away by themselves but having an HPV infection can cause certain kinds of cancer to develop. These include cervical cancer in women, penile cancer in men, and anal cancer in both women and men. HPV can also cause cancer in the back of the throat, including the base of the tongue and tonsils (called oropharyngeal cancer). All of these cancers are caused by HPV infections that did not go away. Cancer develops very slowly and may not be diagnosed until years, or even decades, after a person initially gets infected with HPV. Currently, there is no way to know who will have only a temporary HPV infection, and who will develop cancer after getting HPV.

How common are HPV-related cancers in men?

Although HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection, HPV-related cancers are not common in men.

Certain men are more likely to develop HPV-related cancers:

Men with weak immune systems (including those with HIV) who get infected with HPV are more likely to develop HPV-related health problems.
Men who receive anal sex are more likely to get anal HPV and develop anal cancer.

Can I get tested for HPV?

No, there is currently no approved test for HPV in men.

Routine testing (also called ‘screening’) to check for HPV or HPV-related disease before there are signs or symptom, is not recommended by the CDC for anal, penile, or throat cancers in men in the United States. However, some healthcare providers do offer anal Pap tests to men who may be at increased risk for anal cancer, including men with HIV or men who receive anal sex. If you have symptoms and are concerned about cancer, please see a healthcare provider.

Can I get treated for HPV or health problems caused by HPV?

There is no specific treatment for HPV, but there are treatments for health problems caused by HPV. Genital warts can be treated by your healthcare provider, or with prescription medication. HPV-related cancers are more treatable when diagnosed and treated promptly. For more information, visit www.cancer.org.

How can I lower my chance of getting HPV?

There are two steps you can take to lower your chances of getting HPV and HPV-related diseases:

Get vaccinated. HPV vaccines are safe and effective. They can protect men against warts and certain cancers caused by HPV. Ideally, you should get vaccinated before ever having sex (see below for the recommended age groups). HPV vaccines are given in a series of three shots over a period of about six months.

Use condoms the correct way every time you have sex. This can lower your chances of getting all STIs, including HPV. However, HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom, so condoms may not give full protection against getting HPV.

Can I get an HPV vaccine?

In the United States, HPV vaccines are recommended for the following men:

All boys at age 11 or 12 years (or as young as 9 years)

Older boys through age 21 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men through age 26 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger

Men with HIV or weakened immune systems through age 26 years, if they did not get vaccinated when they were younger

What does having HPV mean for me or my sex partner’s health?

See a healthcare provider if you have questions about anything new or unusual (such as warts, growths, lumps, or sores) on your own or your partner’s penis, scrotum, anus, mouth or throat. Even if you are healthy, you and your sex partner(s) may also want to get checked by a healthcare provider for other STIs.

If you or your partner have genital warts, you should avoid having sex until the warts are gone or removed. However, it is not known how long a person is able to spread HPV after warts are gone.

What does HPV mean for my relationship?

HPV infections are usually temporary. A person may have had HPV for many years before it causes health problems. If you or your partner are diagnosed with an HPV-related disease, there is no way to know how long you have had HPV, whether your partner gave you HPV, or whether you gave HPV to your partner. HPV is not necessarily a sign that one of you is having sex outside of your relationship. It is important that sex partners discuss their sexual health, and risk for all STIs, with each other.

sammyboyfor
06-01-2016, 03:17 AM
she should have gone for the HPV vaccine.

There are many different strains of HPV and only certain types are implicated in causing cervical and penile cancer.

It may therefore still be worth his while to discuss vaccine options with a health professional

What are human papillomaviruses?

Human papillomaviruses (HPVs) are a group of more than 200 related viruses. More than 40 HPV types can be easily spread through direct sexual contact, from the skin and mucous membranes of infected people to the skin and mucous membranes of their partners. They can be spread by vaginal, anal, and oral sex (1). Other HPV types are responsible for non-genital warts, which are not sexually transmitted.

Sexually transmitted HPV types fall into two categories:

Low-risk HPVs, which do not cause cancer but can cause skin warts (technically known as condylomata acuminata) on or around the genitals, anus, mouth, or throat. For example, HPV types 6 and 11 cause 90 percent of all genital warts. HPV types 6 and 11 also cause recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, a less common disease in which benign tumors grow in the air passages leading from the nose and mouth into the lungs.

High-risk HPVs, which can cause cancer. About a dozen high-risk HPV types have been identified. Two of these, HPV types 16 and 18, are responsible for most HPV-caused cancers (2, 3).

For more info go to http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-fact-sheet

DoctorTan
06-01-2016, 08:52 AM
The estimated prevalence rate of HPV in the world is 50%.

That is 50% of the world's population!

If you take out babies, that means more adults have it than those who do not have it.

The medical approach to HPV for men is simple:
1. Vaccinate everyone (in fact in Western Australia it is already mandatory)
2. Treat all warts

Testing is kinda pointless except for research purposes.

IAmAwesome
06-01-2016, 05:06 PM
The estimated prevalence rate of HPV in the world is 50%.

That is 50% of the world's population!

If you take out babies, that means more adults have it than those who do not have it.

2. Treat all warts

Testing is kinda pointless except for research purposes.

Very well said, HPV is just too common already

ImCJY
07-01-2016, 02:12 AM
Had my HPV vaccination in JB. Cheap n good. :)

sg50
07-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Vaccination means getting one of the two vaccines Gardasil and Cervarix right?

For older men does it help to still get vaccinated?

DoctorTan
07-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Vaccination means getting one of the two vaccines Gardasil and Cervarix right?

For older men does it help to still get vaccinated?

Only Gardasil is approved for us in men.

There is no real age cut off for HPV vaccination. The age limits you see are more of a bureaucratic thing than anything else.

Whether or not you should get vaccinated does not depend on your age but more a risk / benefit analysis which your doctor can do for you and with you.

This takes into account your past and current medical history and your current health status.

nottiedotti
07-01-2016, 01:02 PM
always use a condom

Big Sexy
07-01-2016, 01:55 PM
yes but how can condom stop one from getting HPV? :confused:

always use a condom

sammyboyfor
07-01-2016, 04:11 PM
always use a condom

Condoms aren't effective against viral STDs that are transmitted via skin to skin contact as transmission still takes place in areas not covered by rubber eg the scrotum and the base of the penile shaft. Warts and Herpes fall into this category.

MrMuscleman
07-01-2016, 09:10 PM
All samster also have but dunno

ironmaiden89
08-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Have youv all seen the vaccination of this hpv on YouTube ? I saw many many side effects and many gals crying after the jab..and also high chance cause chronic p problems..it' scary. Having hpv also scary...I hope I don't get some kind of penis cancer =(

sammyboyfor
08-01-2016, 03:20 AM
Have youv all seen the vaccination of this hpv on YouTube ? I saw many many side effects and many gals crying after the jab..and also high chance cause chronic p problems..it' scary. Having hpv also scary...I hope I don't get some kind of penis cancer =(

I don't know what sort of scare mongering articles you've been reading but the chances of penile cancer are extremely remote.

You should worry more about slipping in the shower and cracking your skull.

DoctorTan
08-01-2016, 08:54 AM
"The HPV data were evaluated separately for the various outcomes of interest
(HPV infection, genital warts, and cervical neoplasia). There was no evidence
that condom use reduced the risk of HPV infection, but study results did suggest
that condom use might afford some reduction in risk of HPV-associated
diseases, including genital warts in men and cervical neoplasia in women. "

Source: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/organization/dmid/documents/condomreport.pdf

cocky1234
08-01-2016, 09:47 PM
i just went for HPV vaccination at dsc. even though its not life threatening. its does life changing if you are infected. grow of genital warts on your little brother will definitely changed the look forever. i think is good to get HPV vaccination. is abit pricey at around sgd 300

mikeshinodaz
08-01-2016, 11:04 PM
My friend said he went to a massage girl (liltigerden) and kena HPV genital wart type. I told him massage is relatively safe even if the girl is nude. Is it likely to happen? Am I right?

webdust
14-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Actually why in sg, we are all vaccinated from hep B compulsory during birth but not hpv ??? Im sure alot of the population especially males dont know that they should take up the vaccination to protect themselves.

sammyboyfor
14-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Actually why in sg, we are all vaccinated from hep B compulsory during birth but not hpv ??? Im sure alot of the population especially males dont know that they should take up the vaccination to protect themselves.

The answer is because Hep B is a serious infection whereas HPV is a very minor issue for males.

cocky1234
14-01-2016, 10:37 PM
yalo.. as HPV not life threatening but only life changing. if i not wrong for girl and age below 26 can get vaccination with gov subsidies. but for guys need pay urself.
as hpv more dangerous to girls, can cause cervical cancer

sammyboyfor
15-01-2016, 02:52 AM
yalo.. as HPV not life threatening but only life changing. if i not wrong for girl and age below 26 can get vaccination with gov subsidies. but for guys need pay urself.
as hpv more dangerous to girls, can cause cervical cancer

In the vast majority of cases, HPV is neither life threatening nor life changing. The body's immune system deals with the infection within a couple of years and life goes on per normal.

There are are over 170 types of HPV and only two types (16 and 18) are the cause of 99.7% of all HPV related cancer cases.

As long as the HPV infection is not caused by type 16 or 18, the chances of developing cervical cancer are very low.

If you are sexually active with multiple partners, chances of catching HPV is almost 100%

cocky1234
15-01-2016, 08:16 AM
"If you are sexually active with multiple partners, chances of catching HPV is almost 100%"

thats why i go for HPV vaccination "Gardasil" for hpv type 6,11,16,18. i do patron fl from time to time soo is just for my personal protection incase infected with these type of hpv. it may not poses significant health risk to male, but the risk is these especially genital warts on penis and related cancers.

imagine if i dont get vaccination and one day i get infected with these types of hpv from sex workers.. and in future i might spread to someone else, my future partner etc

webdust
15-01-2016, 03:59 PM
The answer is because Hep B is a serious infection whereas HPV is a very minor issue for males.

but sam korkor, i read online hpv will escalate into kkj or anal cancer(even if you not gay you can kenna also) :(

Plus hpv infected guys might spread hpv to their female partners leh... i dont think anyone wanna spread it to their gf or wife la

webdust
15-01-2016, 04:03 PM
"If you are sexually active with multiple partners, chances of catching HPV is almost 100%"

thats why i go for HPV vaccination "Gardasil" for hpv type 6,11,16,18. i do patron fl from time to time soo is just for my personal protection incase infected with these type of hpv. it may not poses significant health risk to male, but the risk is these especially genital warts on penis and related cancers.

imagine if i dont get vaccination and one day i get infected with these types of hpv from sex workers.. and in future i might spread to someone else, my future partner etc
dont mind can share more about the vaccination for guys?? Where you took it and how much it cost? got any sideeffects?

sammyboyfor
15-01-2016, 04:08 PM
but sam korkor, i read online hpv will escalate into kkj or anal cancer(even if you not gay you can kenna also) :(

Plus hpv infected guys might spread hpv to their female partners leh... i dont think anyone wanna spread it to their gf or wife la

Only a handful of HPV strains out of more than 170 strains are implicated. The vast majority cause no problems.

Pretty much everyone has HPV. If you've ever had a wart on your hand or other body part, that's HPV.

A healthy immune system clears things up in no time at all.

HPV is so common that unless the girlfriend or wife is a virgin, chances are they already have the infection.

However I think it is an excellent idea for everyone to get vaccinated as a precaution especially as it reduces the risk of catching the more dangerous strains and brings peace of mind to those who are paranoid.

cocky1234
15-01-2016, 06:20 PM
dont mind can share more about the vaccination for guys?? Where you took it and how much it cost? got any sideeffects?

i get it at DSC, i went for hepatitis vaccination and at the same time HPV vaccination "Gardasil". total cost for HPV $300. requires 3 shots. 1st shot at day 1, 2nd shot at month 2, 3rd shot at month 6. you can pay by per dose. so average about 90 plus pervisit.

even thought only these 4 strain of HPV infection is considered dangerous, but better dont take chance lo.. i dont want my kkj disfigured and my future wife to get infected.

sammyboyfor
16-01-2016, 01:42 AM
and my future wife to get infected.

Make sure you marry a virgin then or your future wife could pass you HPV instead.

cocky1234
16-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Make sure you marry a virgin then or your future wife could pass you HPV instead.

you guys seems to ignore the danger, yes HPV is very common as bro mentioned 170 variants of it. but since have vaccine to prevent type 6,11,16,18, then why not ?

if your future wife spread HPV to you then cannot say la.. atleast you do your part to protect yourself by vaccination.

same analogy goes to Hepatitis vaccination, your future wife might also infect you. but does that means you no need to get vaccination ? think about it, you mentality is like "ok i get protection from this, but screw the other protection" and you know you on high risk group.

cupid xpress
16-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Pak Sammy sibeh pro
in cut and paste siah.....

Big Sexy
16-01-2016, 10:52 AM
and who are the guys u are talking about?

i read thru the thread and i dont see" the guys" u mentioned who ignored the "danger"...
if u read post 27, sam said he think it is an excellent idea for everyone to get vaccinated as a precaution especially as it reduces the risk of catching the more dangerous strains and brings peace of mind to those who are paranoid.

you guys seems to ignore the danger, yes HPV is very common as bro mentioned 170 variants of it. but since have vaccine to prevent type 6,11,16,18, then why not ?

if your future wife spread HPV to you then cannot say la.. atleast you do your part to protect yourself by vaccination..

cocky1234
16-01-2016, 12:34 PM
and who are the guys u are talking about?

i read thru the thread and i dont see" the guys" u mentioned who ignored the "danger"...
if u read post 27, sam said he think it is an excellent idea for everyone to get vaccinated as a precaution especially as it reduces the risk of catching the more dangerous strains and brings peace of mind to those who are paranoid.

i am referring to Pak Sammy reply to me. isn't that sounds sarcastic that to make sure i find a virgin if dont want get infected ? doesn't that mean im wasting money on vaccine?

mayb im too sensitive ba..

Big Sexy
16-01-2016, 01:07 PM
no mate... sam only meant well .. he did say it was an excellent idea for everyone to get vaccinated as a precaution ..;)

actually strictly speaking, even virgins could get HPV. ;)

i am referring to Pak Sammy reply to me. isn't that sounds sarcastic that to make sure i find a virgin if dont want get infected ? doesn't that mean im wasting money on vaccine?

sammyboyfor
16-01-2016, 01:30 PM

The vaccine will prevent the 4 strains that you mention and significantly reduce your risk of cancer but it won't stop you from catching one or more of the other 166 strains so you may still end up with a cauliflower dickie!! :p

sammyboyfor
16-01-2016, 01:34 PM
same analogy goes to Hepatitis vaccination, your future wife might also infect you. but does that means you no need to get vaccination ? think about it, you mentality is like "ok i get protection from this, but screw the other protection" and you know you on high risk group.

Where in any of my posts did I say or even imply "screw protection"?? :rolleyes:

webdust
18-01-2016, 11:05 AM

if your future wife spread HPV to you then cannot say la.. atleast you do your part to protect yourself by vaccination.

huh sorry ah im abit confused. If cocky1234 got vaccinated already how is it possible touch wood he might get infected when he already been vaccinated?:confused:

Big Sexy
18-01-2016, 11:10 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus

Researchers have identified over 170 types of HPV, more than 40 of which are typically transmitted through sexual contact and infect the anogenital region (anus and genitals)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccines

Human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines are vaccines that prevent infection by certain types of human papillomavirus.[1] Available vaccines protect against either two, four, or nine types of HPV.[1][2] All vaccines protect against at least HPV 16 and 18 that cause the greatest risk of cervical cancer. It is estimated that they may prevent 70% of cervical cancer, 80% of anal cancer, 60% of vaginal cancer, 40% of vulvar cancer, and possibly some mouth cancer.[3][4][5] They additionally prevent some genital warts with the vaccines against 4 and 9 HPV types providing greater protection.[1]

huh sorry ah im abit confused. If cocky1234 got vaccinated already how is it possible touch wood he might get infected when he already been vaccinated?:confused:

webdust
18-01-2016, 11:12 AM
no mate... sam only meant well .. he did say it was an excellent idea for everyone to get vaccinated as a precaution ..;)

actually strictly speaking, even virgins could get HPV. ;)

how does virgins get hpv ???? I thought got piakpiak then might get? Virgins never piak before how to get ?:eek:

sammyboyfor
18-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Because there are 170+ strains of of HPV. The vaccine currently protects against 4 only. You can still catch the rest.

It's the same with the annual Flu jabs. They protect against only the top 3 or 4 most virulent at best. You can still catch influenza because there are many more strains that the vaccine provides zero protection against.

Lastly no vaccine is 100% effective. All it does is improve your odds depending upon your immune response. Everybody is different. I'm not sure about HPV but when it comes to Flu vaccines they are generally between 30% to 70% effective. Of course the doctors don't tell you this as all it does is confuse the patient.

However on a positive note even if you still catch a strain that you have been vaccinated against, your symptoms should be a lot milder compared to if you had not been vaccinated. This is because your immune system has already had some practice fighting the infection.

webdust
18-01-2016, 12:00 PM
btw hpv vaccination got age limit one right? Cocky1234, just curious you took it during the age limit ah? Tiagong should be done before age of 25

sammyboyfor
18-01-2016, 12:49 PM
btw hpv vaccination got age limit one right? Cocky1234, just curious you took it during the age limit ah? Tiagong should be done before age of 25

The reason why there are age limits is because of the way FDA tests the effectiveness of a vaccine by age range.

It may be just as effective for those older than 25 but no data is available at the moment.

If you are no longer a virgin there is also a distinct possibility that you may already have caught the infection which means it's too late to vaccinate.

webdust
19-01-2016, 10:56 AM
If you are no longer a virgin there is also a distinct possibility that you may already have caught the infection which means it's too late to vaccinate.

wow thats shocking!! :eek:
Hmm but if one caught the infection already but didnt develop into cancer or any growths, then how to seek treatment?:(