PDA

View Full Version : Rules for being a Singapore sex worker

RumpRanger
22-12-2015, 01:04 PM
I came across this interesting article from The Huffington Post regarding the rules and requirements for being a sex worker in Singapore. I am sharing this for those who are curious or do not know much about Singapore's sex industry.

To quote:

"Legally, Singapore's 15-18,000 sex workers work under a complicated and somewhat paradoxical labyrinth of formal and informal regulations. Exchanging sex for money is not criminalized but public solicitation, owning a brothel, and living off of sex worker earnings is illegal. It is also illegal for non-natives, who Francis estimates make up 60-70% of Singapore sex workers, to engage in commercial sex. In practice (and on the down-low), Francis says the Singapore government operates a licensed and heavily monitored system of semi-tolerance for brothels and foreign sex workers.

According to general knowledge among sex workers in Singapore, sex workers in licensed brothels are required to undergo monthly health checks and are issued a yellow card. The system is not publicly acknowledged by the Singapore government, and so official requirements are hard to discern. Project X has heard from sex workers that the eligibility requirements are stringent: one must be between 21 to 35, from a list of pre-approved countries, and neither Malay, Muslim, male, or trans with a male gender designation on ID documents to qualify for a yellow card. Once an application is accepted, sex workers have reported to Project X, individuals sign a contract with the Anti-Vice police agreeing not to have a Singaporean boyfriend, break any local law, work outside their designated brothel, and accept a ban on travel to Singapore ranging from 3 years to a lifetime after the contract ends.

"I think it is problematic that there are licensed brothels in Singapore but they are explicitly criminalized under the Women's Charter," Vanessa Ho, Project X's executive director says. And as one could imagine, a very small portion of Singapore sex workers operate within that licensed and quasi-tolerated framework: there only 800 to 1,000 licensed sex workers in Singapore, while in a given year, over 5,000 unlicensed sex workers will be arrested.

Singapore "plays this weird yes and no game" with commercial sex, Francis says. "It's slightly better than Malaysia, a few other Southeast Asian countries with full-out criminalization."

I think the 2nd paragraph made a mistake saying that Malays cannot be sex workers. Correct me if I am wrong but I think there are several of them working in Rowell/Desker Rd.

eroticbomb
22-12-2015, 04:31 PM
good read, thanks bro

prataman00
22-12-2015, 11:03 PM
A bit of Goggle and I've found the article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katherine-koster/singapore-sex-workers-tak_b_8843400.html

Just in case anyone wants a read.

Master123
23-12-2015, 03:09 PM
"and accept a ban on travel to Singapore ranging from 3 years to a lifetime after the contract ends."

Seriously?!

max_priest
23-12-2015, 04:13 PM
"and accept a ban on travel to Singapore ranging from 3 years to a lifetime after the contract ends."

Seriously?!

This is absolutely true. The moment these gals enter Singapore to work as licensed sex workers, they are being listed as over stayers and they are considered as committed an offense in the Immigration Authority of Singapore database. Wherever they wish to travel to Singapore as a tourist after their stint at Singapore GL ended , they have to get a visa but most of the time, it will be rejected. There is a good chance of getting a tourist visa (but still not 100% guarantee) once they reach middle age or older because by then they would unlikely ply their trade in Singapore illegally due to the obvious.

timmyh
23-12-2015, 06:16 PM
"Legally, Singapore's 15-18,000 sex workers work under a complicated and somewhat paradoxical labyrinth of formal and informal regulations..." but later "there only 800 to 1,000 licensed sex workers in Singapore"

ADT007
23-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Beside these there are also house rules that restrict the sex workers freedom

OnePunchMan
23-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Singapore "plays this weird yes and no game" with commercial sex, Francis says. "It's slightly better than Malaysia, a few other Southeast Asian countries with full-out criminalization."

irony that full out criminalization but more available services

adonis
23-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Do the foreign girls' OKTs keep their passports until the end of their tours of duty? Or the S'pore Government does it? Merry X'mas.

oakleyeug
23-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Do the foreign girls' OKTs keep their passports until the end of their tours of duty? Or the S'pore Government does it? Merry X'mas.

you are not suspose to keep the pp but some okt does.

ADT007
24-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Passport is kept till the last minute she enter the departure area

Not only OKT keep, those singer at HFJ also have their passport kept

max_priest
24-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Beside these there are also house rules that restrict the sex workers freedom

There is no house rules in placed by AV ... Some OKTs may set their own house rules because some WLs in the past and presently have flouted the AV rules - "Dating men (other than their OKT) is strictly forbidden" ... I know you are referring to the house presently located in L20 ... There was a WL from that house per se (same batch as the previous very popular, chio & tally Xiao Ba) stayed out over night and checked into hotel with one of her customers on several occasions. Her OKT warned her a few times but to no avail. The OKT therefore had no choice but to send her home before AV finds up and ended up being suspended.

Sometime you can't blame the OKT for being strict ... If the WL was caught dating man, not only the OKT license would be suspended, the other WLs would lose daily income because of the suspension. You have to look at the situation from different angles before concluding who is right and wrong.

HonkyTonkyMan
27-12-2015, 11:31 AM
No Malays or Muslim pros...is this a change from the past cos there were a number of Malays pros back to the good old days of GL such as Rina, Armani, Jessica etc..

fictore
01-01-2016, 08:10 PM
googd info. thanku very much

beatriz
05-01-2016, 04:59 PM
wah ... i never know got so many house rules

lhmaaa
07-01-2016, 12:36 AM

my understanding is passport kept by immigration, normally cut card on wed, get back passport on thurs, fly back on fri.