PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians admit to eating meat!

Sammyboy RSS Feed
28-10-2015, 04:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Don't blame them. Meat is somewhat too good-tasting to resist! Despite all the news about high-cholesterol, high this and high that, put a plate of barbecued ribs in front of me, and I will be all over it. Just that, I don't claim to be vegetarian!

Cheers!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/drunk-...tudy-1.3288678 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/drunk-vegetarians-admit-to-eating-meat-study-1.3288678)

Drunk vegetarians admit to eating meat: study

Almost 40 per cent of vegetarians surveyed admitted to eating meat after drinking

By Robin Summerfield, for CBC News Posted: Oct 27, 2015 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 27, 2015 2:43 PM ET

Is social meat eating a thing? We've all heard of social smokers, who light up while having a few drinks. But a new U.K. study says a surprising number of vegetarians eat meat when they're drunk.
Money-saving site vouchercodespro.co.uk surveyed 1,789 vegetarians, asking them if they ever fell off the veggie wagon after imbibing. Thirty-seven per cent admitted that they had.

Hank Rothgerber, a social psychologist and researcher at Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky, wasn't shocked by those statistics.
"It's not surprising at all. If there's anything surprising about it it's that they're not reporting a higher number," he said.
In Canada, an estimated four per cent of the population is vegetarian, while in Western Europe and the U.S. it's 10 and five per cent, respectively.

Rothgerber specializes in the motivations, attitudes and other personality and behavioural characteristics of vegetarians. He points to a similar study of vegetarians in the U.S. that found 60 per cent of self-identified vegetarians confessed to eating meat in the last 24 hours.

That survey was commissioned by Time magazine and CNN. Other studies have come to comparable conclusions. It's easy to blame will power, or a lack thereof, on vegetarians who hit the beef buffet. But Rothgerber said that's not the real problem.

"I don't think that 60 per cent lack will power or that they're just completely weak people or that they just can't resist meat," he explained. "I think probably a lot of them... they're just not strict vegetarians. In other words, they're calling themselves vegetarians when they probably shouldn't."
Rothgerber puts veggie eaters into two categories: vegetarians and semi-vegetarians. The latter group may be folks who eat chicken and seafood and other animal-based foods, or say they're trying to eat less meat and call themselves vegetarians. But by definition, they are not vegetarians.

Definitions aside, Rothgerber believes vegetarians, like other minority groups, are being singled out by the majority. And not in a good way.
He said media coverage following surveys like the vouchercodespro.co.uk study are headline grabbers that meat-eaters use to tout the failures and failings of vegetarianism.
"There's a predictable pattern in the response the majority will have. So I think these stories get publicized and people like to talk about them because they help meat-eaters feel better about eating meat. They're like the counterbalance to all these arguments about why we shouldn't eat meat," he said.

"I think what they're trying to do is portray vegetarians as either weak or maybe naive or non-disciplined. Or these studies... suggest that following a vegetarian diet is unnatural. I think that's the heart of the matter."

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?219045-Vegetarians-admit-to-eating-meat!&goto=newpost).