PDA

View Full Version : F1 in Singapore. A local perspective

Sammyboy RSS Feed
23-09-2015, 11:30 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

I am not an F1 fan, not even an automobile buff, but can't help noticing the Singapore Grand Prix since it started - The World's first and only night race. The first time I watched it, I was abroad and like all F1 race presentations, its was hyped-up and had all the bells and whistle for it to stand out. Yes, it was exciting. Then I came to Singapore, and over time, conversed on this race with some colleagues, and to my amazement, people were into it! Even their primary school kids know the world champion's name, the team standings, and they hoped to attend the race, or even watch the practice sessions. I thought this looked strange! There is no automobile industry in Singapore. There are no tyre manufacturers in Singapore. There are no auto parts manufacturers in Singapore! And on top of this, there is the COE is discourage car ownership! Sure enough, the recent F1 race here, no one at office talked about it. Nobody I knew gave a shit about the F1 anymore. Has it lost its glamour? Or is it now more for the tourists?

Cheers!

http://sbr.com.sg/hotels-tourism/in-...s-magic-locals (http://sbr.com.sg/hotels-tourism/in-focus/same-old-same-old-singapore-grand-prix-losing-its-magic-locals)

Same old, same old: Singapore Grand Prix losing its magic on locals

More than 80% of attendees are non-residents.
Though ticket sales have been solid for the annual event, local attendance has been dwindling since its inception in 2008. The Grand Prix also does not seem to be a major point of conversation among Singaporeans, unlike it has been in its previous installments.
According to RHB, the decline may imply that the novelty of the motor race has worn off.
However, analysts say the strong international fan base of the sports are propping up the ticket sales for the event, and has been a reliable jolt for tourist numbers in the island nation every year.
"However, we firmly believe that the F1 Grand Prix has huge intangible benefits for Singapore as a major marketing tool. More than a few foreigners we know have spoken of the spectacular night skyline they saw on TV as their first positive impression of Singapore. This resulted in them wanting to either visit Singapore or consider relocating to the island nation to work. Singapore corporations also have a chance to promote their brands," RHB said.
Meanwhile, though the actual number of ticket sales have not been released publicly, analysts estimate an 11% year-on-year growth.
Earlier this week, organisers reported that the Grand Prix drew a total of 260,912 viewers at the Marina Bay Street Circuit over the three-day weekend. This is the third-highest attendance in the event’s eight-year history.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?216900-F1-in-Singapore-A-local-perspective&goto=newpost).