PDA

View Full Version : We need PAP. Not toxic noise by Opposition that hinder our progress!

Sammyboy RSS Feed
17-08-2015, 01:00 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

It's Easy To Be Wise After The Event

We just celebrated our 50th National Day and did so without Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s physical presence for the first time. I vividly recall the emotional stir when news of our founding Prime Minister’s hospitalisation became public, followed by outpouring of heavyhearted well wishes, reverential salutations for his political legacy, praises of his leadership capability, gratefulness and appreciation for his contribution towards our modern city-state Singapore. News streams captured Singaporeans from all walks of life paying tributes to this noble man. Some articulated his success eloquently and sometimes in our creole language - Singlish, while handfuls were only able to express heartfelt condolences in their mother tongue.

We experienced a united atmosphere during the period of national mourning. We also witnessed skepticism from some quarters. There were handfuls of repulsive and disrespectful expressions on social media, including blatant curses directed at Mr Lee Kuan Yew and his affiliates. Pockets of aversion towards his perceived hardline autocrat approach in governing Singapore since independence are not unheard of. Such deeds and words are not novel. I was more appalled that these garnered support by some.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Many of us did not experience first hand the struggles that Singapore went through in her fight for survival in the early days. We inherited a country that is largely developed and admired. It is dismal for those who are on a mission to flip our history books, pick on decisions taken in the past and raise egoistic ideology, judgement or proposition on "would have or could have been better" or "should be done this way or that way". How can a genius in retrospect be worth a hill of beans?

There is no perfection in life. Have we not demanded for equality when we landed in a position inferior to another, or perhaps when we felt disadvantaged by a system? Have we not advocated for meritocracy when our capabilities seem to be deserving of more credit, regardless of our actual effort? Have we not habitually despised what we cannot get, not strived for what we aspire and then blame others for our inadequacies, so that we would feel better about ourselves? It is silly if one believes that mindless ranting is a means of catharsis.

We dwell in a fallacy state if we let our minds run too wild. We have witnessed disgruntled parties sowing discord among Singaporeans, who have been in turn swayed by these unsubstantiated intents. Can we envisage a society where ideas and views are exchanged genuinely, factually and wisely? Can we cultivate a civic level of maturity that discourages ignorant herding behaviours waved by others, especially from those who hide behind a safety net of computer screens?

We seem to be able to unify ourselves and stand strong during a crisis, bolstering our confidence that somehow we will overcome anything. Yet, crises rarely come announced. I sense a rise in arrogance and lack of accountability motioned on our national platform, driven by questionable populist doctrines. I fear for our societal degeneration. I fear for the quality of the supposedly educated men and women, who aspire to represent us. I fear we have fallen into the trap of complacency with this feeling of invincibility. It is not clear whether our current achievements and standing, or reliance on our government’s grip in leading our nation, backs this confidence.

I have observed some activists who are all mouth and trousers. Perhaps, they are driven by their flawed ideology and become pretentious when challenged on their resolution. We are all concerned about ensuring our success. But why do I feel a gravitating presence that some are harbouring a reckless goal to unseat incumbents, or uprooting the foundation that gives us the stepping-stone to our success? Have they been barking up the wrong tree?

On 9 August 2013, a frail Mr Lee Kuan Yew attended our National Day Parade as he had done every year since 1966 – it was to be his second last parade. The crowd thundered as he walked gently towards his seat. The public veneration befitted to him was undeniably undisputable. I had the privilege of sitting somewhere behind him and caught my first glimpse of him in person. He sat upright, with his vision set constantly ahead.

The Chinese has a saying, 路遥知马力,日久见人心 - As distance tests a horse's strength, time reveals a person's heart. Mr Lee Kuan Yew led our island and weathered us through storms. His perseverance in perpetuating simply what is right won countless hearts. There was no serendipity in our success here. We are testaments to his honorific legacy over the last 50 years. Where will we be in the next 50 years?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/ethan...53624633236834 (https://www.facebook.com/notes/ethan-lim/its-easy-to-be-wise-after-the-event/10153624633236834)

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?213005-We-need-PAP-Not-toxic-noise-by-Opposition-that-hinder-our-progress!&goto=newpost).