PDA

View Full Version : Inventor for mobile medical station forced by MINDEF to surrender patent, while SCDF

Sammyboy RSS Feed
15-01-2015, 06:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Inventor forced by Mindef to close company over patent rights | The Online Citizen (http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/01/inventor-forced-by-mindef-to-close-company-over-patent-rights/)

Facing a long-drawn and uphill legal arbitration with the Ministry of Defence over a patent issue, Dr Ting Choon Meng, an innovator and medical professional, decided to withdraw his case due to mounting legal costs and a battle for which he saw no end in sight.

Even worse, given that Mindef is now demanding about S$580,000 in legal fees, to have his patent revoked and assign the rights to the Ministry, Dr Ting is looking at the very grim prospects of closing down his company Mobilestats Technologies Pte Ltd, the company holding the patent rights to his invention, the Station With Immediate First-Aid Treatment (SWIFT) vehicle.

“I am completely disheartened,” said Dr Ting. “After this incident, suffice to say that I have lost confidence in Singapore’s ability to be a global IP hub.”

What made his case even more poignant is that Dr Ting was appointed to the board of directors for the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) since April 2013. He has since stepped down in January 2014, after he withdrew his case against Mindef.

“It has come to a point whereby I am honestly convinced that there is no true conviction right at the top of our government for Singapore to be transformed into a Global IP Hub,” he had written in his resignation letter.

“Recent events and processes in my own encounter have unfortunately shown me that without real conviction and internalization from the top, what we are trying to do in IPOS are but lip service.”

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?198065-Inventor-for-mobile-medical-station-forced-by-MINDEF-to-surrender-patent-while-SCDF&goto=newpost).