PDA

View Full Version : Pap, why keep harping on the communist past?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
24-12-2014, 08:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

PAP, WHY KEEP HARPING ON THE COMMUNIST PAST?

.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;} Post date:
24 Dec 2014 - 7:36pm

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/Battle%20For%20Merger%20Lee%20Kuan%20Yew.jpg?itok= 0cM1GNpM (http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Battle%20For%20Merger%20Lee%20Kuan%20Yew.jpg)

That PAP’s leadership finds it so necessary to ‘set the record’ right yet again shows up at least 3 things that the PAP should want to avoid:

1. PAP’s economic achievements, upon which they hv relied so much on, are waning as a buttress to their legitimacy. Not only with the younger voters who are always less beholden in their view of what they see as their basic rights. But also, and more importantly, with the diehard supporters and dafts. So, they need the Communist bogeyman as an additional prop.
2. By harping – actually, HAVING TO harp – on the communist past, they really show that whatever vision they have are hardly visions that will capture the imagination of the electorate (Nation of Opportunity, Fair & Just Society, Democracy of Deeds).It’s looking backwards to show they are worth our con’t support & trust. If I was leading a party, I’d want to craft a vision that will focus the minds, time and energy of that future vision w/o the need to harp on the past. The past is a GIVEN – whatever and however it has played out.
3. Further evidence of the PAP Leadership lacking in confidence and competence is that by harping on their narrative of the communist past, they have invariably shown themselves to be either ignorant or deliberately blind to all that has happened since. History has no pause button.

In the half century since 1960, after the Communists appeared to have staked a claim to their philosophical validity, Communism has been shown to be with little if any practical legitimacy. How many Communist govts have since FALLEN into the dustbin of history?

Not just in Europe but closer to home – Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. How about what’s left – the Commie guerillas in Moro, the bungling anna & thambi in India?
It’s incredible how dumb this leadership is. They are practically telling young voters that PAP is ignorant or disregard the truth of how Communism has played out since Lim Chin Siong & the CPM. Hello, anyone in there?

Whilst we cannot dismiss the potential for violence or disorder from any political philosophy, it’s almost impossible for the young and older average S’porean to see Communism as anything but a lost, if not dead, cause. So, why harp on it?

Harping on it puts PAP on the defensive i.e. raising more doubts about their narrative.

Instead, PAP should be using (if they really want to) the current threats and violence of ISIS to raise legit concerns of threats that are clear and present to SG – while only alluding to a brief violent SG past.

And they have more than half-dozen military/navy generals in their midst – some with their faces hung US Army College Hall of Fame some more.

“I feel something is going wrong,” sir, I say respectfully to Mr Lee Kuan Yew. The time has come for Comrade Kuan Yew to practise getting up from his slightly bent poise so that he can & actually ‘will get up’ when lowered six feet under the ground, where there’s no sound…

Non-General, only Captain 2cents.
2cents

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?196500-Pap-why-keep-harping-on-the-communist-past&goto=newpost).