PDA

View Full Version : Asiaone: MPs can distinguish 'wayang' from reality

Sammyboy RSS Feed
11-12-2014, 12:20 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

News @ AsiaOne

MPs can distinguish 'wayang' from reality: Baey Yam Keng

He was addressing the criticisms of residents who say town councils put on too much of a show for visiting dignitaries. -AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - Addressing the criticisms of residents who say town councils put on too much of a show for visiting dignitaries, Member of Parliament (MP) Baey Yam Keng said that it is not unusual for the council to make an extra effort.

However, he added that MPs are mindful not to be an obliging and blind audience, and are able to exercise good judgment to distinguish 'wayang' from reality.

He was referring to feedback received that town councils put an extra 'polish' to neighbourhoods prior to his weekly MP visits, as well as criticisms of the exhibition put on in Queenstown during a visit by Prince William and his wife Kate.

"Indeed, doing tai chi or silat at three in the afternoon is almost unheard of. And children of today no longer take fancy to chatek or five stones," he wrote on his Facebook page.

"We have to ask ourselves. In the call for the VIPs to see the reality, do we then demand the couple to wake up early in the morning just to catch residents do tai chi?"

Similarly, he justified the town council making a conscious effort to make neighbourhoods look better for an MP's visit, saying that "it is common practice to tidy up our home when we are expecting guests, just so to leave them with a good impression."

However, he said that while they may hide the less glamorous side of things, there is no way to "sweep the reality under the carpet."

"I am aware the town councils put in the special effort prior to MP visits. However, from the feedback by residents during these weekly visits, I will easily find out if they are satisfied with the level of cleanliness on other days," he said.

He added that residents can also voice their concerns directly to him through various channels, such as emails, Facebook and grassroot events.

In addition, he said he takes walks around his Tampines GRC by himself to make his own assessment.

"Undoubtedly, I am confident of the efficiency and professionalism of the town councils and other governmental bodies. Whenever a complaint is lodged against them, I always give them the opportunity to give an explanation, followed by the necessary action," he said, stressing the need to be objective.

While he said he will not hesitate to probe further if the fault is discovered to lie with the relevant authorities, there are times that the requests from residents are "beyond reason".

"Under such circumstances, I will have to explain the position of relevant authorities and ask for the understanding of the residents," he said.

[email protected]

Read his full statement on next page...

Translation of Mr Baey Yam Keng's article from MyPaper (18 Sep)

Wayang?

During their trip to Queenstown last week, Prince William and Duchess Catherine visited a playground where they saw residents doing tai chi, practising silat and children playing chatek and five stones. Netizens bashed the arrangement of these activities as 'wayang'.

Indeed, doing tai chi or silat at 3 in the afternoon is almost unheard of. And children of today no longer take fancy to chatek or five stones.

Clearly, the set was choreographed to provide the royal couple a flavour of the local lifestyle and traditional games all in a short span of 25 minutes. Prince William was even game enough to have a go at chatek.

We have to ask ourselves. In the call for the VIPs to see the reality, do we then demand the couple to wake up early in the morning just to catch residents do tai chi?

While in Singapore, Duchess Catherine wore two outfits with orchid prints and during her visit to Queenstown, she chose to wear a dress by local brand, Raoul. Perhaps she does take a genuine interest in orchid prints and Raoul fashion, but she has indeed drawn people of Singapore closer to heart through her wardrobe choices. Does anyone see that as insincere and 'wayang'? ?? Prior to MP house visits, the town council always makes a conscious effort to give the neighbourhood an extra 'polish' for a tip-top condition. Some residents are unhappy with this move and feel that the town council is putting up a show for the MPs, intentionally hiding the less glamorous face.

It is common practice to tidy up our home when we are expecting guests, just so to leave them with a good impression. Likewise, the guests would also understand the good intention behind this gracious gesture.

I am aware the town councils put in the special effort prior to MP visits. However, from the feedback by residents during these weekly visits, I will easily find out if they are satisfied with the level of cleanliness on other days. The town council may pull wool over my eyes for once, but there is no way they can sweep the reality under the carpet.

Residents can also voice their concerns to me through various channels such as emails, Facebook, Meet-the-people sessions, KopiTalk, grassroots events etc.

I do make the conscious effort to scan the surroundings during my block visits: whether the corridors are clean and tidy, maintenance of facilities, areas that can be improved etc. Sometimes I will also walk around by myself, in the absence of representatives from the town council or governmental bodies, just to see and listen for myself and make my own assessment. As I do not publicise my itinerary, nobody can therefore do any preparatory work or hide any fact other than to fulfill their routine responsibilities conscientiously.

Undoubtedly, I am confident of the efficiency and professionalism of the town councils and other governmental bodies. Whenever a complaint is lodged against them, I always give them the opportunity to give an explanation, followed by the necessary action. I need to be objective. If the fault lies with the relevant authorities, I will not hesitate to probe further. However, I cannot deny that there are times when requests from residents are beyond reason. Under such circumstances, I will have to explain the position of relevant authorities and ask for the understanding of the residents.

I have no acting talent to 'wayang' and neither will I act in order to please. More importantly, I do not and cannot take the public as my audience. Even if someone is putting an act in front of me, I will also have to be mindful not to be an obliging and blind audience. I need to exercise discernment and good judgment to distinguish 'wayang' from reality.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?195556-Asiaone-MPs-can-distinguish-wayang-from-reality&goto=newpost).