PDA

View Full Version : Can pm lee learn a thing or 2 from nz pm john key?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
04-10-2014, 09:50 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

CAN PM LEE LEARN A THING OR 2 FROM NZ PM JOHN KEY?

.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;} Post date:
4 Oct 2014 - 4:57pm

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/pm-lee-hsien-loong-515490_5.jpg?itok=cGUOKpHn (http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/field/image/pm-lee-hsien-loong-515490_5.jpg)

I love this NZ PM, he really has a sense of mission, public service and commitment. I hope he can meet up with our LKY, LHL and GCK and tell them or rather teach them their mission and not be a money-face…
John Key, Prime Minister of New Zealand, is not keen on giving his MPs pay rise.
”You don’t come into MP because of a profit and loss statement, you come in because of a mission, and it’s a vocation.”
”If they came in for the money I strongly suggest they are looking in the wrong place.”
- New Zealand’s PM, John Key
New Zealand’s PM, John Key, actually donates his salary to charities! Perhaps, the New Zealand attitude towards leading a political life differs from that of politicians {from some countries} where the motivation of the politicians are to enrich themselves & their cronies rather than devote their energies to public service!
Will Singapore follow this example?
Someone should send this to the PAP in Singapore, mate!

[B]Key not keen on MP pay rise
Prime Minister John Key does not have a problem with state chief executives getting paid more than the ministers they report to, and he does not believe the independent pay-setting body, the Remuneration Authority, should try and close the gap.
The Remuneration Authority is currently consulting over the size of any pay rise for MPs this year, and Key has said he would prefer it if MPs received no extra cash.
”I don’t think they deserve any special treatment. I certainly don’t think they deserve anything above the inflation rate and I don’t think there’s an argument that can be put together that’s coherent that they could,” he said.
Key earned considerably more in the private than public sector, but money was not the motivating factor for MPs.
”If they came in for the money I strongly suggest they are looking in the wrong place.”
He said if the authority did have to recommend an increase, the ”best case scenario” would be the inflation rate.
He said the argument about ministers’ pay rates was that the Secretary of Treasury earned more than the Minister of Finance.
“Well, yes, but that’s always been the case and maybe their pay rises have always been bigger. If the argument is to close the gap then I think we are heading in the wrong place.”
Treasury secretary Gabriel Makhlouf’s salary is between $540,000 and $550,000 while a minister is paid a base rate of $257,800. However as Deputy Prime Minister, Bill English, receives $291,800.
Authority chairman John Errington would not disclose what the authority was proposing, but indicated it was looking at the widening pay gap between MPs and the public sector.
The authority set a “payline” and that varied, depending on the job.
“The payline has certainly gone up this year on average by more than the consumer price index. All our information is indicating that the public sector is going ahead faster than members of parliament remuneration.”
The authority took into account fairness to the taxpayer and the individual as well as adverse economic conditions.
Key has also criticised the authority for typically announcing MPs pay rises just before Christmas.
Errington said the authority got its decision out as soon as possible.
”We would hope to get it out well before the last week before Christmas this time.”
But it needed to gather all the necessary information including on MPs’ travel entitlements, which it uses to adjust their pay.
Information on their travel was now at hand, he said.
Despite Key’s public stance, Labour leader David Cunliffe refused to express a view on MPs’ pay.
But Labour MP Clare Curran said she believed all MPs, from all parties, worked hard, but she did not believe a pay rise was a good idea.
”In line with the wage rises that ordinary people aren’t getting, this year I think it would be counter-productive for MPs to be getting a pay rise this year.
Her colleague Shane Jones said the current system used to evaluate MPs was the right one. He had earned more in the private sector but this was irrelevant to how much he was paid.
”You don’t come into MP because of a profit and loss statement, you come in because of a mission, and it’s a vocation.”
- © Fairfax NZ News
[B]RL

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?191326-Can-pm-lee-learn-a-thing-or-2-from-nz-pm-john-key&goto=newpost).