PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite restaurant needs foreign workers

Sammyboy RSS Feed
22-09-2014, 11:30 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Popular Little India restaurant shut over manpower woes

SINGAPORE - Heading down to the Blue Diamond Restaurant for some nasi biryani?

Sorry to disappoint, but the popular restaurant on Buffalo Road in Little India has closed.

Upset patrons of the eatery have been calling the The New Paper since Tuesday.

Popular for its hearty Indian dishes, the restaurant has been a mainstay on Buffalo Road for the last 18 years.

When contacted, owner Mr Abdul Hameed Mohamed Farook, 56, confirmed the Tuesday closure and said it was because of labour problems.

A Ministry of Manpower (MOM) spokesman later told TNP that the company is currently being investigated under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

"It is thus premature for MOM to share any findings at this stage," she added.

Located next to flower and vegetable stalls across the street from Tekka Market, Blue Diamond Restaurant serves popular Indian favourites like thosai and poori, and dum briyani.

The latter is the house speciality, which foodies have raved about online.

Food critic and Makansutra founder K F Seetoh said the restaurant's closing is a loss because "they are very established and have made a reputation for serving good, robust Indian fare".

Equally disappointed are the restaurant's long-time fans like Ms Malini Raghavan.

The 46-year-old, who owns two shops in the area, said: "I sent my worker to buy food from the restaurant on Tuesday, but he returned and said it was closed.

"I went down to check it out on Thursday and the restaurant shutters were still down.

"I then asked aroun but no one seemed to know what had happened."

Re-Opening In Works

Mr Abdul Rahman Mohamad, 42, a technician who lives in a HDB block near the restaurant, was also surprised.

"I came home from work on Thursday and stopped by the restaurant hoping to get something to eat but it was closed," he said.

"One of the shop owners nearby told me the place has closed down but no one seems to know why.

"It is a shame, the food is good and the restaurant is always packed and alive with customers."

Owner Mr Abdul Hameed told TNP that he is working towards re-opening Blue Diamond Restaurant soon.

He said: "I must re-open. The restaurant is my rice bowl after all."

[email protected]

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?190533-Your-favourite-restaurant-needs-foreign-workers&goto=newpost).