PDA

View Full Version : How five-month fling led to man's suicide

manfoong
30-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Anyone read the news about the deceased's infatuation with the philipino waitress?Looks like too many sex related incidents happenning suddenly.........bonk carefully bros best not to get emotionally involved or u will pay:(

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,96615,00.html

He made his suicide look like murder
Troubled man found love in pub
# Throws knife 5m away after he stabs himself
# He does this to get $160,000 insurance for his family
# Leaves 30 % of CPF to mistress who spurned him
THEY were an unlikely couple.
By Celine Lim and Ng Tze Yong
29 October 2005

THEY were an unlikely couple.

In a smoky pub frequented by locals, expatriates and young Filipino girls, Mr Lau Shu Sun and Ms Bicomong Nia met on 23 Nov last year.

They loved sitting quietly at their favourite seat, a small table under a television set at the far corner of the pub.

The table was beside the rear exit leading to the carpark, said Ms Nia's co-workers.

A few metres away, a rowdy crowd would be busy competing at the pool table.

They stayed far from the stage set up for pole-dancing in the centre of the Now And Then Cafe and Pub on Anson Road.

Mr Lau, a 42-year-old Singaporean who worked as an operations manager at Cold Storage, was lonely.

His 12-year-old marriage, which gave him two children, now aged 8 and 11, had broken down, and he had been separated from his wife for two years.

He thought he had found a new love in Ms Nia, a 23-year-old Filipina who worked at the pub as a waitress.

She is from San Pablo, a small town about four hours drive north of Manila.

A slightly plump, average-looking girl, Ms Nia did not dress as provocatively as some of the other girls did.

A waiter said she started working at the pub at the beginning of this year.

She would work Mondays to Saturdays from 6pm to 2am, and then take the company van home.

'She was neither bubbly nor quiet, just normal. She wasn't one of those who would cause us trouble,' said the waiter.

JUST SITS WITH BOYFRIEND

At this pub, girls were paid $30 per night, on top of the $8 commission they got for each $20 Heineken beer they got customers to buy.

They had a quota of 15 points to fill. Each Heineken bottle gained them two.

But while the other girls would be busy trying to get the customers to buy them drinks, Ms Nia would be content to just sit with her boyfriend for hours.

Waiters and customers told The New Paper that the couple would be there three times a week, arriving around 6pm and leaving around 9.30pm each time.

Despite his marital problems, Mr Lau was an easy customer to serve.

'He was a very nice man,' said one waiter. 'He didn't appear moody.'

Within three weeks of their first meeting, they had sex two times at Chinatown Hotel 81.

But it seemed Mr Lau saw his relationship with Ms Nia as more than a fling. Over the months, he fell madly in love with her.

He handed her love letters typed on his office computer.

The letters, titled 'Honey.doc', were later retrieved from the computer by investigators after Mr Lau's death.

In February this year, he bought her a handphone and paid all her phone bills.

In March, he even gave his POSB ATM card to Ms Nia and asked her to withdraw whatever she needed for her expenses.

Between March and July, Ms Nia chalked up more than $5,000 in phone bills and withdrew $1,500.

In April, Mr Lau flew to Manila to visit Ms Nia and her parents in San Pablo.

His divorce proceedings were supposed to be completed next year.

But that was when it all went tragically wrong.

Just as they were about to return to Singapore together, Ms Nia dropped the bombshell.

She had a 'husband' in Singapore, whom a waiter referred to as her live-in boyfriend.

She told Mr Lau to treat her as a normal friend.

TURNED TO ALCOHOL

Back in Singapore, Ms Nia started to distance herself.

But heartbroken, Mr Lau could not let go.

Even as he pleaded desperately with her in his love letters, he continued to support her financially.

He turned to alcohol and became suicidal.

On 15 Jun, he visited Ms Nia again at the pub.

Unhappy that Ms Nia was entertaining other customers, he smashed a wine glass and cut his left wrist with a piece of the broken glass.

It didn't work.

By 28 Jul, Mr Lau seemed to have given up hope.

He changed his CPF nomination, giving Ms Nia 30 per cent of his CPF.

In his second last letter, he explained to her how to collect the money and told her not to show the note to anyone.

On 1 Aug, Mr Lau visited Ms Nia for the last time to hand her his suicide note.

He wrote: 'The little love letter from you was the only thing I had from you. I wish I could be buried with it, but can't.

'You can choose (to) keep it, throw it away or burn it to me in front of my coffin so that I can receive it in the other world.'

Their last conversation was at 9pm that night.

It lasted five minutes, after which Mr Lau sent her an SMS asking her to take care of herself.

Ms Nia replied that she would call him later. About five hours later, she received a final SMS from him.

'Farewell' was all it said.

Coroner rules out foul play

WHAT appeared to be murder at first was yesterday ruled to be suicide. State Coroner Tan Boon Heng said 'overwhelming' evidence from 'extensive investigations' ruled out foul play.

He highlighted the following:
Self-inflicted stab wounds to his heart.

# Suicide notes to Ms Nia

# Changing of his CPF nomination to include her name.

# SMS of 'Farewell' to her moments before his death.

# Debts of $73,194.14.

The State Coroner noted that it was not clear whether Mr Lau's phone calls to his colleague were an attempt to call for help or due to the pain of his stab wounds.

Mr Lau might have staged his death to look like assault as he knew his family would stand to lose a total of $159,500 in insurance benefits if he committed suicide.

Fantastic4
30-10-2005, 05:26 PM
This type of thing hard to say...especially when emotions are involved. For my case, I always go to pubs at Tg Pagar to relax & I have come into contact with 4-5 really sweet looking gals. Can say tat I fell for some, but once they return to their country, the feeling will disappear. Can say I am quite fortunate:)

hamlinlau
30-10-2005, 05:39 PM
I knew Alex and his wife personally for many years. What the papers revealed was a real shock to me...

tokkon1
30-10-2005, 05:40 PM
LOVE...What a really destructive force sometimes.:(

yungcibai
30-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Anyone read the news about the deceased's infatuation with the philipino waitress?Looks like too many sex related incidents happenning suddenly.........bonk carefully bros best not to get emotionally involved or u will pay:(what a slut!
she already had a 'husband' and still sleeping around.

should have prostituted herself outrite and save him all the trouble!:mad:

boliaolang
30-10-2005, 06:08 PM
what a slut!
she already had a 'husband' and still sleeping around.
Why scold her until like that??

So what u call a man when he is married but still sleep around? :D

yungcibai
30-10-2005, 06:14 PM

actually he's on divorce area already so still considered married? technically, in view of the law it is but to his wife(by law) is not lah.

anyway his wife also suay,:( now she should be termed widow since technically they weren't divorced

manfoong
30-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Suicide no insurance benefits meh? tot i heard my insurance agent say got cover suicide nowadays...imp thing is must die to get benefits

Peter
30-10-2005, 07:04 PM
sad story, let's not talk about it further, and let him rest in peace.

boliaolang
30-10-2005, 07:16 PM
actually he's on divorce area already so still considered married? technically, in view of the law it is but to his wife(by law) is not lah.

anyway his wife also suay, now she should be termed widow since technically they weren't divorced
Actually that girl is not married also lah, cos it state 'husband', i think it is close BF

boliaolang
30-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Suicide no insurance benefits meh? tot i heard my insurance agent say got cover suicide nowadays...imp thing is must die to get benefits
suicide clause will only take effect after one year, maybe he took up the policy for less than one year.

Kyser Soze
31-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Emotion is the mother of all weapons!

whitegals
02-11-2005, 12:48 AM

This one is simple... a STUD.

Man sleep around is called "FENG LIU"
Woman sleep around is called "XIA LIU"

:cool:

ztsorf
02-11-2005, 01:43 AM
and ppl thought the men rule the world, every men worked so hard just for a woman. If you throw in too much, you just ended up digging a hole to die in.

Sad for a man like him, 40+ have 2 kids already and yet can't think striaght, really who to blame.:(

sg_boytoy
02-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Nice one Bro whitegals :D , very funny :)

sjb1994
02-11-2005, 10:14 AM
That's what ppl said "cheong with small head, not big head".

F**k and forget.

kohhiangyong
02-11-2005, 10:42 AM

very true! i like what u say!:cool:

VBScripts
02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?天南地北双飞客,老翅几回寒暑?欢乐趣,离别苦,就中更有痴儿女。君应有 语,渺万里层云,千山暮雪,只影向谁去?

古往今来,宇宙苍茫。在大自然的舞台上,多少男女,上上下下扮演着悲欢离合的角色。这些人物,不论是贩夫走 卒,抑或是英雄豪杰。能够参透儿女私情的,毕竟少之又少;即使只想洞彻情之为物,恐怕也是难上加难。绝大多 数的生灵,一直在情天恨海里盲目打转,又贪又悔.

Love Is Blind

WatLoveAbt
04-11-2005, 01:48 AM
问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?天南地北双飞客,老翅几回寒暑?欢乐趣,离别苦,就中更有痴儿女。君应有 语,渺万里层云,千山暮雪,只影向谁去?

古往今来,宇宙苍茫。在大自然的舞台上,多少男女,上上下下扮演着悲欢离合的角色。这些人物,不论是贩夫走 卒,抑或是英雄豪杰。能够参透儿女私情的,毕竟少之又少;即使只想洞彻情之为物,恐怕也是难上加难。绝大多 数的生灵,一直在情天恨海里盲目打转,又贪又悔.

Love Is Blind

Ve nice pharse..
ve ve meaningfully..
When it come to heart affair,
When it come to true,
Human being are ve ve ve weak...
Tat why ppl say heartless is most powerfully, none can hurt you,
but it is ve ve hard to be heartless, i don believe any chengster never like any one of the girl before, at least got a bit...