PDA

View Full Version : SAF Armour Formation reminiscing thread

Sammyboy RSS Feed
07-05-2014, 10:20 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Noticed on the "What happened to Lee Hsien Yang" thread that there are many former armour and AI personnel in this forum. ranging from NCO up to I think Major/LTC rank. In fact, that thread started evolving into an armour rendezvous, so I thought I would start this thread. So, all former 40, 41, 42, 46, and yes even you guys in 48 SAR can fall in and TCSS. Same for those from 4 SAB, 8 SAB, and SOA. Happy to meet up, even if anonymously and talk cock with former NSF and regular armour chaps. I will start the ball rolling with.............

What I missed about armour - i have to say the camaraderie and the esprit the corp. because the size of an armour unit is very small in terms of personnel eg. one AMX-13 platoon only has 12 personnel, it was much more informal than an infantry unit. Officers and NCOs mix well together and even with the tank crew who might be private rank. In my days, officers regularly went into NCO mess and vice versa.

And of course, I miss the tank races in Area D. LOL.

What I don't miss about armour - exposure to all sorts of hazardous chemicals from the oil drums used for target practice, breathing the toxic contaminated pink dust in Area D, breathing in the fumes and cordite smoke from the firing of the main tank gun, which equals respiratory problems today. sigh.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?181081-SAF-Armour-Formation-reminiscing-thread&goto=newpost).