PDA

View Full Version : Window period

daneman
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi Bros,
A lot of us are worried if when we take the test if it is a false negative (due window period) for HIV. Did a little research, and with a little help from http://www.medhelp.org, got these numbers:

By a standard 3rd genertaion antibody test, a following number is suggested:

anti-body detected one week after the exposure :22.6%
anti-body detected two weeks after the exposure :53.775%
anti-body detected three weeks after the exposure :84.1%;
anti-body detected four weeks after the exposure :98.4%
anti-body detected five weeks after the exposure :99.45%
anti-body detected six weeks after the exposure :99.994%
anti-body detected seven weeks after the exposure :99.99986%
anti-body detected eight weeks after the exposure :99.999999979%

Please take note these numbers are unvalidated by any medical professional. For any medical advice, please still refer to your GPs or DSC. Just some reading info. Thanks and take care!

starwind
10-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi Bros,
A lot of us are worried if when we take the test if it is a false negative (due window period) for HIV. Did a little research, and with a little help from http://www.medhelp.org, got these numbers:

anti-body detected one week after the exposure :22.6%
anti-body detected two weeks after the exposure :53.775%
anti-body detected three weeks after the exposure :84.1%;
anti-body detected four weeks after the exposure :98.4%
anti-body detected five weeks after the exposure :99.45%
anti-body detected six weeks after the exposure :99.994%
anti-body detected seven weeks after the exposure :99.99986%

Please take note these numbers are unvalidated by any medical professional. For any medical advice, please still refer to your GPs or DSC. Just some reading info. Thanks and take care!

brother may i know afa uses which generation ? what about the other generations test kits .. is there window period the same ? of longer

Sorin^^
10-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Bros,

Hi Bro, in the figures u has given above, 2 months will be window period rite? Though its not unvaliated.

Rgds

dt3305
10-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Read the recent news that MOH will bring in self testing kit and avaliable at clinic and night sports. Afa says it already has a self test kit avalibale at its testing centre. Any bro any idea if the kit at Afa is avaliable for sale? According to Afa, it cost only $10/-. Last Saturday when I went to Afa for test, did not see them selling the test kit leh...forgot to ask the staff also...

daneman
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Bro Sorin,
According to the doctor in the STD forum on the website that i have provided, by the 6th - 8th week, virtually all, if positive, will have detectable antibodies. In addition, according to my GP, he said that if you have your Elisa test done in S'pore and it was done after the 2nd month, you need not test anymore. I also called the DSC counsellors, and she said if you tested negative on the 2nd month, it is unlikely you will test positive on the 3rd month. However, i would like to reiterate that the official MOH guideline is 3 months.
Bro starwind,
The AfA employs the rapid technique, which is as accurate and reliable as the conventional Elisa test. For other gen test, sorry i cannot comment as i have no data on that. However, if you test in Singapore, i am pretty confident that it would at least 3rd gen. With the tight guidelines that MOH has, i am sure the labs cannot play afool.
Bro dt3305,
I also had a test done last Saturday. What time were you there? I was there at around 2.45pm.

Sorin^^
10-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Bro dt3305,
I also had a test done last Saturday. What time were you there? I was there at around 2.45pm.

Hi Bro Daneman, i think i will be going to AFA in 2 mths time...Had my last test there 3 weeks ago on a Sat. The cycle keeps repeating.Gona stop goin to GL Soon. Think i will go AFA every 2 mths liaoz. I always go on Sats zun zun @ 1.30pm so that dun haf long wait.

dt3305
10-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Daneman- I was there ard 1.30...my number ends with 777...I was the 3rd person in the quue...I got my result ard 2.30...abt 30 minutes after the test...turns out my counsellor was busy and could not take not result slip...I left ard 2.35 after collecting all the information brochures on STDs...

DipItLow
11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
hey bros,i think the self test kit will be avail dec 05 onwards.Correct me if im wrong

dt3305
12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi Bro Daneman, i think i will be going to AFA in 2 mths time...Had my last test there 3 weeks ago on a Sat. The cycle keeps repeating.Gona stop goin to GL Soon. Think i will go AFA every 2 mths liaoz. I always go on Sats zun zun @ 1.30pm so that dun haf long wait.

Hi bro, was your encounter protected? for both BJ and FJ? condom intact?

Sorin^^
12-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi bro, was your encounter protected? for both BJ and FJ? condom intact?

Used to have protected BJ n FJ in GL. But recently, had BBBJ n protected FJ with Cat150 WL.Yup the condom was intact. The worries that come wif it is tremendous...

Last time a counsellor at AFA, think hes Shaun, a nice guy, counselled me. He said, HIV virus have four modes of transmission- Breast Milk, Blood, Semen and Vaginal Fluid. Though saliva does contain the virus. But it is less likely... Even though that, its still a worry.

So that is relli a worry.

Rgds

daneman
12-10-2005, 03:58 PM
From what you have described bro, the risk from you contracting HIV is low. Some of the websites (aidsmeds) say it is only a theoritical risk, thebody and medhelp mention that the risk is low. Since it is only a single encounter, it is unlikely that you would contract the virus. However, it would be useful to alleviate your fears by going for a test. In future, remember to caps on at all times.

Sorin^^
12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
From what you have described bro, the risk from you contracting HIV is low. Some of the websites (aidsmeds) say it is only a theoritical risk, thebody and medhelp mention that the risk is low. Since it is only a single encounter, it is unlikely that you would contract the virus. However, it would be useful to alleviate your fears by going for a test. In future, remember to caps on at all times.

Yup Bro, Thanks alot, I will remember to cap on at all times. Other than HIV, other STDs will come into mind. Hopefully, can either quit the scene or protected sex for bj n fj.

Thanks Bro, will go for check up at AFA to alleviate the fears.

Cheers :)

anikin
12-10-2005, 04:37 PM
went for the DSC test today. the rapid test kit is also available as MOH wanted to do a survey how people will DIY the HIV test, just to make sure it will be safe when let loose on the streets later.

rapid kit results out in < 15 mins! that was fast, compared to the blood test ... 1 week ... :(

Sorin^^
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
went for the DSC test today. the rapid test kit is also available as MOH wanted to do a survey how people will DIY the HIV test, just to make sure it will be safe when let loose on the streets later.

rapid kit results out in < 15 mins! that was fast, compared to the blood test ... 1 week ... :(

Hi Bro,

So that means we can purchase this kit now rite? Can we juz bring it back to use. Its still under control by MOH rite? We cant buy it anywhere else rite? Hmm, tink it also doesnt matter we haf a test at AFA or conduct own test. Cos AFA provide us with counsellors. Though, keen on trying the DIY Kit.

Rgds:)

daneman
12-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Even if the test kit is available on the street, i would still prefer to have my test done at AfA. The reason being i think the pre and post counselling is important. Just think..if you test + (choi...touch wood!!!!), i think the counselling will come in very useful. Even if you test -, the risk assessment by the trained counsellors helps to reassure you. Just imagine, you may be too freaked out by your exposure to use the test, even if you buy it.

Sorin^^
12-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Even if the test kit is available on the street, i would still prefer to have my test done at AfA. The reason being i think the pre and post counselling is important. Just think..if you test + (choi...touch wood!!!!), i think the counselling will come in very useful. Even if you test -, the risk assessment by the trained counsellors helps to reassure you. Just imagine, you may be too freaked out by your exposure to use the test, even if you buy it.

Hi Bro, ya true, no counselling and no assurance from AFA b4 n after the tests, easily make the mind think about juz anthing. Nevertheless, goin to AFA is better as its not discrete anymore.(Been there for umpteen times for testing, numb to ppl watching us go in liaoz) sighz.... :(

Rgds :)

dt3305
12-10-2005, 05:53 PM
If the self test kit avaliable at Afa, I will buy it. Frankly I have been to Afa testing for a few times. Most of the counsellor are quite professional but I gathered they assessed our encounter based on their limited information. The test is the only way to know.

IMO, I find the DSC staff better trained in terms of medical knowledge and counselling and assessment of situation. If you are at risk they will put it straight to you and even if you contracted some STD, they will explain in details what it is, how you get it, how it can be cured and how to avoid it.

Afa is basically..come in, pay $20, fill up form, see counsellor, relate encounter, go take test, wait aimlessly around, result out, go in, negative, counsellor tells you come back at 3rd month...thats it...no prevention message, no teaching on safety knowledge...just my opinion...

so I will buy the self test kit, if I ever need one...