PDA

View Full Version : Mindef banned nsfs from singing "purple light"

Sammyboy RSS Feed
15-11-2013, 02:40 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/640afp_ns_0.jpg?itok=Z3XKsTvR

Ever wonder if speaking up about sexism really creates change? Here's one case where it has!

Earlier this year, AWARE learned of "Purple Light", a marching song sung by many NSmen, which included the lines:

"Booking out, see my girlfriend

Saw her with another man

Kill the man, rape my girlfriend

With my rifle and my buddy and me."

We were troubled that NSmen were bonding over misogynist lyrics about committing sexual violence against women. So we raised our concerns with MINDEF and SAF.

And now we have excellent news: MINDEF and SAF have confirmed that they took steps to investigate. They will "immediately halt" the singing of these lyrics, which they describe as "contrary to the values of [their] organisation".

It's really encouraging that MINDEF and SAF are prepared to listen to feedback, recognise this as an issue and take action on it. Thumbs up!

AWARE Singapore

*AWARE Singapore is a women's right activist group fighting for the rights of women and promoting "gender equality". Article first appeared on AWARE Singapore's Facebook page here.

Many NSman are very angry with MINDEF decision to ban this song:

Davin Ng: Because the lyrics refer to the way many Singaporean women ditch their boyfriends without a second's thought when they enter NS. Nearly 3/4 of the attached men in my BMT platoon were dumped during the confinement weeks of BMT, and the lyrics were made up to express their rage and frustration. You might want to think about how women behave like opportunistic brats instead of complaining about the mere symptoms.

Some guys also defended Singapore women by saying:

Warren D'cruz: Age of girls having boyfriends who arebin NS are around 18yrs old. They are still in the verge of building a future for themdelves and exploring the various opportunites that they can use to build their future. They will make more friends and meet more guys. They will have more options to choose. How they view and cherish their relationship with their boyfriends who are in NS depends on their maturity, morality and their social backgound. There is no way to stop them from ending a relationship. The responsibility lies within them. Not all women are the sole responsible of a breakup. The same also applies to guys. However, if I was a girl and know that my boyfriend is singing these kind of songs at NS. I will be very afraid!!!!

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?168384-Mindef-banned-nsfs-from-singing-quot-purple-light-quot&goto=newpost).