PDA

View Full Version : Social divide is a product of PAP policies...

Sammyboy RSS Feed
22-10-2013, 09:30 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.p...Gatsby-Curve-k (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?166017-Where-is-S-pore-on-the-Gatsby-Curve-k)

I was looking through the social mobility data of Singapore more or less one of the worse among developed countries. Not only do we have the most unequal society, the ability to climb up from lower classes up is also pretty. Highest mobility is found in Scandinavian countries. Typically east Asian countries like Japan Taiwan also have high social mobility so do Oceanic countries like Australia and NZ. But social mobility is very low in Singaporec contrary to claims made by the PAP. If a society is truly meritocratic, every child has equal access to opportunity but that is not the case for singapore. It is through poitical euphemisms and exceptional examples that the PAP paint a false picture of healthy meritocracy and high social moibility.

I learned quickly about the reality shortly after my A levels when i could not get a place in university. I went to appeal in my No, 4 only to find so many foreigers studying in the university I could not get in. Shortly after IORD, I said good bye to all my rich friends whose parents sent them overseas for their degree....every single one of them had poorer A level results than me came back with a degree in their pockets 3 yrs later to work as professionals. I found a few jobs in fast food restaurants. By limiting access to university education, the pap greatly disadvange poorer singaporeans without the means to go overseas to get a degree.

When i worked in fast food resurants, i quickly found what it is like to be near the bottom of a 3rd world wage structure . As I got to know my co workers qith families, i realised how impossible it is to raise one with such low salaries. They had lots of debt from housing, and costly medical bills . Years of low wage and foreign labor policies caused this. It is really terrible if you think abt it- we are living in one of the most expensiuve cities in the world with lowest wages for the bottom 30% in the developed world.

The PAP overspends on defense, underspends on healthcare and transport causing a deterioration in the quality of life of ordinary Singaporeans. Recently a Singaporean girl show the extent of deterioration of transport services by posting a video of buses packed like sardines - she to wait for 13 buses before finding one she could get aboard. At the same time we watch this, an American general revealed that Singapore will buy the most expensive fighter ever made, the F35B known primarily for its problems and lack cost effectiveness . PAP policies are unbalanced and unsustainable.

It is hard to believe that as we arrive here at what is suppose to be cross roads for the country, we have to sit through this painful debate about putting Singaporeans first when it comes to jobs. For politicians who did not think twice to pay themselves the highest salaries in the world, asking the to put their fellow country men first when it comes to jobs seemed impossible. Is it any mystery they are losing the support of the people? No where else in the world can we find an equally self serving group of people.

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?166658-Social-divide-is-a-product-of-PAP-policies&goto=newpost).