PDA

View Full Version : Simple lessons for Tan Chuan Jin on "meritocracy" and "level playing field"

Sammyboy RSS Feed
15-08-2013, 11:50 AM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Chuan Jin said a lot in Parliament about building a Singaporean core and giving Singaporeans a fair chance in employment. Unfortunately he is still stuck with the group think and a position that appeared good in theory but seriously flawed in practice. Let me quote him, “it is about making sure that the playing field is level and maintaining meritocracy as a cornerstone of our society. This will send a clear signal that the government expects firms to recruit and develop their staff on merit, and not on the basis of nationality and social ties.”

Talking about meritocracy in a vacuum is a very unenlightened position to take. Chuan Jin’s emphasis in ensuring a level playing field and meritocracy is seriously flawed. Can anyone see what I am seeing and why I said it is flawed?

In the first place Singapore is a sovereign state with first responsibility to ensure that its citizens come first when employment opportunities are concerned. The Govt owes it to the citizens to be gainfully employed and not to foreigners. Our citizens need a job to survive, to live and to pay for all the high costs of living. There could be some compromises when foreign companies set up business here but they should not dictate their wants. After weighing all the factors, employing Singaporeans first must still be advantages to them than to bring in their ‘special and irreplaceable’ talents that no Singaporeans can do better. I don’t believe there are many such creatures around. I think Chuan Jin should not accept such shitty excuses unless it is very specialized and technical skills are involved and not a matter of know who or a matter of preference.

A corollary to the sovereign state is that ensuring a level playing field for citizens and non citizens is not acceptable. Ensuring a level playing field is for citizens competing with citizens, likewise in meritocracy. Why should our citizens be competing on a level playing against foreigners in our own country when citizens not only must have privileges but also responsibilities that are abnormal than in many countries? Our citizens should demand a playing field that is in their favour and no need to apologise for it. The citizens deserve to be treated with special favours and advantages for being citizens.

Meritocracy cannot be practiced blindly and not be seen as stupidity. Only a fool will practice meritocracy with the world’s talents to choose from against the limited number of talents in his own country. If meritocracy is practiced to the hilt as the cornerstone of our society and talents from around the world can replace the citizens on merits, we can replace everyone in the country including the whole cabinet and the President. With 7b people to choose from, at least 100m will be better and more meritocratic than every Singaporeans in every job and should replace every one of them. Tio boh? Off the cuff, there must be at least 10m people who are more talented than the whole cabinet or parliament. Should they come and replace them all?

One more point, not every job requires top talents or the best of talents. Not every job requires straight As or first class honours or a Ph D. Many jobs can be done by a decent and good employee who is competent enough to do what is required. Many HR practitioners will tell you that not the best candidate or the best qualified is given the job. In many instances, the second or third best would be deemed good enough and a better fit.

As an example, a good HR practitioner with a first degree would be equally as competent as another with a first class honours or Ph D in a SME. The higher or better qualifications are redundant or extravagant for the job, and may be more costly in the long term. So it is not necessary that the more meritocratic should deserve to replace the less meritocratic. Only a certain level of skills, knowledge and competency are needed. You don’t replace a Singaporean with a foreigner because he is more qualified or over qualified. Meritocracy in this sense is misplaced and obtused.
Maybe I shall put it even more simply. When a good Taiwan made bike that cost $700 can do the job, why should one buy a European made bike that cost $2000 that may be a little better and more prestigious? In choosing the latter it is indulgence, extravagance and absolutely unnecessary, definitely nothing to do with meritocracy or getting the best.

Do not blindly practise meritocracy with no consideration to citizenship. Do not insist on a level playing field for citizens to compete with non citizens in our country. The citizens did not vote you to compete on a level playing field with foreigners. Remember what you promised to do for the voters? Do not utter carelessly about level playing field and meritocracy without thinking.

This is our country and the citizens deserve better and first priority in employment. If the govt cannot think through this, cannot see through this, what can I say? What kind of govt are we having, serving the interests of citizens or foreigners? To hell with a level playing field! To hell with meritocracy! This is a country and there is a citizenry to consider and to take care of.

The Govt must send a clear signal to employers, both Govt, local and foreign, that employing Singaporean is top priority and must not be conveniently compromised by lame excuses.

http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2...ingapore+News) (http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2013/08/chuan-jins-singapore-core-in-employment.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+N ews))

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?159888-Simple-lessons-for-Tan-Chuan-Jin-on-quot-meritocracy-quot-and-quot-level-playing-field-quot&goto=newpost).