PDA

View Full Version : Is this the new sinkee rip-off?

Sammyboy RSS Feed
07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
An honorable member of the Coffee Shop Has Just Posted the Following:

Restaurant charges service fee for takeaway food items

Stomp contributor was asked to pay a 10 per cent service charge for food items ordered to go at a French restaurant in Serangoon.

Singapore, August 7, 2013

Stomp contributor Pierre was shocked when he was asked to pay a 10 per cent service charge for food items he ordered to go at a French restaurant in Serangoon.

When he queried a staff member about this, she said service charge for takeaway items is for the service offered when "the chef cooks for you, packs for you and brings the food to you".

In an email to STOMP, the Stomp contributor wrote:

"The French Stall Bistro at 544 Serangoon Road serves reasonably-priced French cuisine in a non-air conditioned setting and is very popular with locals and foreigners alike.

"Pictures I have sent in showed photos of the food when I dined in previously.

"I have dined in a few times with friends, and everything was okay, but what happened last Thursday (August 1) left me with a sour impression of the place.

"I ordered dinner on the go (steak and deserts), and quick glance at the receipt revealed a service charge of 10 per cent.

"I asked the cashier auntie as to why I was charged a service charge of 10 per cent when I ordered takeaway food items.

"The cashier auntie seemed apologetic and while she seemingly agreed with me, she told me she cant do anything as their point of sale system was set up that way and she couldn't remove the service charge option.

"I told the auntie this was not right and requested to speak to their manager.

"She gestured to another lady nearby (who seemed to be their lady boss), and I asked her the same thing.

"Her reply, however, shocked me.

"She said: 'Yes we charge service charge even for takeaway.' I then replied that this is not right.

"What she said next really shocked me. She said: 'The chef needs to cook for you, pack for you and bring the food to you. This is all part of service.'

"I have never heard of such a ridiculous excuse (or attempt to increase profit).

"The lady boss then told me straight in the face, If i don't like it, I can cancel the order, which I duly accepted and walked away.

"The service charge was 10 per cent, which amounts to $6.

"It's not a big amount but as a matter of principle, I don't believe in paying for something like this."

Click here to view the whole thread at www.sammyboy.com (http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?159186-Is-this-the-new-sinkee-rip-off&goto=newpost).