PDA

View Full Version : Hatyai airport BOMBED

asjer
03-04-2005, 10:23 PM
It is now 22.15, 03/04/05. Information is scant at the moment but around 30 minutes ago, a bomb went off at Hatyai Airport. Bros might want to check if their friends or families are safe.

canning
03-04-2005, 10:35 PM
It is now 22.15, 03/04/05. Information is scant at the moment but around 30 minutes ago, a bomb went off at Hatyai Airport. Bros might want to check if their friends or families are safe.

Sure a not, I have been thought cna, cnn, bbc website, but nothing is reported

silvermonkey88
03-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Sure a not, I have been thought cna, cnn, bbc website, but nothing is reported

No joke, really got bombing at Hatyai airport, see the link here
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/140755/1/.html

Bombs rock airport, city in Thai south, one dead: police

Related News »
• Thailand may reduce forces in restive south: Thaksin
• Historic Thai joint session opens to tackle southern unrest
• At least 20 injured in bomb attack on train, shootout in southern Thailand
more>>

BANGKOK : Two near-simultaneous bombs exploded Sunday in southern Thailand, including one at the airport in Hat Yai city killing one person and wounding a dozen, police said.

"According to initial reports, one person has died from the bomb at the airport, and about a dozen people were injured," a police officer told AFP from Hat Yai, restive southern Thailand's largest city and commercial capital.

"At the same time, a bomb also went off in front of the city's Carrefour department store," he said, adding there were injuries reported there but he had few details.

The airport blast occurred at 8:24 pm (1324 GMT) inside the departure terminal, an airport official said.

"There was a bomb in front of the bookstore in the airport, close to the check-in counter," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"Many people are injured," the official added.

Thailand's Muslim-majority deep south is in the grip of a violent separatist insurgency that has left at least 630 people dead since January 2004.

The explosions come just two days after a team from the world's largest Islamic group, the Indonesia-based Nahdlatul Ulama, wrapped up a five-day mission to the region aimed at mediating between between the government and militants.

On Thursday Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, under pressure from rights groups and Muslim-majority nations that his heavy-handed tactics were fomenting unrest, said Thailand may scale back its forces in the southern provinces.

- AFP

asjer
03-04-2005, 11:00 PM
They missed out 1 location, Hotel Greenworld Palace in Songkla. Information is still sketchy but so far, no foreigners are killed. Wounded wise, best check if friends or relatives are there.

No joke, really got bombing at Hatyai airport, see the link here
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/140755/1/.html

ruhua
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
asjer,

Appreciate the news flash. The worst fears have happened. The threats from last year have now happened. I bet they have plans to do it in the capital as well. As this is the only way to get major international media attention. :( I believe they mentioned BKK as well. All travellers should always prepare for the worst. Anything can happen.

canning
03-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Bro Asjer,

I am sorry , I should have double check b4 I make any post.

To all other bro who have family living in Hat yat, I hope that all your family member is safe

cheongkid
04-04-2005, 01:35 AM
News report
http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=37291

Let's hope no Singaporeans were hurt in these incidents.

subband
04-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Those going to hatyai better take care. It finally happened, even hatyai, our lovely city had not been spared.

free
04-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Just talked to my Nong Sao who lives in Hatyai. She is so frightened and dare not even leave her home. Apparently Lee Gardens Hotel got bombed too, according to her, though it dun seemed to be in the reports.

PhilippineFL
04-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Ruhua!!! chow lang liao ah...... :eek:

madix
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
so sad
better not to go to southern thailand guys
the unrest getting from bad to worse

:(

lee890
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
sigh...here goes all the fun in Hatyai...especilly so near to Sogkra Festival....there is suppose to be a 3 nights all night party in Hatyai. I wonder what is going to happen next? May be the plane ticket price will drop drasticly?

One thing very very puzzle is that: what are these people trying to prove by bombing here and there? They can't get people to respect them by doing so. Lee Garden may well be a very prominent target, besides Novetel. As if the rumour about the cracks in Lee gARDEN after the earth quack is not bad enough....it all seems gloomy for Hatyai for a while...

Hasa Sas
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
so sad
better not to go to southern thailand guys
the unrest getting from bad to worse

:(

Business has been badly affected since the SARs scare,Birds Flu ,Terrorists etc and have not recovered until now.....hatyai will never resume back to the good old days...really pity the hatyai local. :cool:

cheongkid
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
News clips of the bombings from Thai TV9

Clip1 (http://tnastation.mcot.net/playVideoClip.php?id=60010&cliptype=1&speed=256k&ndate=2005-04-03)
Clip2 (http://tnastation.mcot.net/playVideoClip.php?id=60049&cliptype=1&speed=256k&ndate=2005-04-04)

DNAT
04-04-2005, 11:41 AM
News clips of the bombings from Thai TV9

Clip1 (http://tnastation.mcot.net/playVideoClip.php?id=60010&cliptype=1&speed=256k&ndate=2005-04-03)
Clip2 (http://tnastation.mcot.net/playVideoClip.php?id=60049&cliptype=1&speed=256k&ndate=2005-04-04)

Cheongkid, thanks for the info ya

penny
04-04-2005, 10:04 PM
sigh...here goes all the fun in Hatyai...especilly so near to Sogkra Festival....there is suppose to be a 3 nights all night party in Hatyai. I wonder what is going to happen next? May be the plane ticket price will drop drasticly?

One thing very very puzzle is that: what are these people trying to prove by bombing here and there? They can't get people to respect them by doing so. Lee Garden may well be a very prominent target, besides Novetel. As if the rumour about the cracks in Lee gARDEN after the earth quack is not bad enough....it all seems gloomy for Hatyai for a while...

if these people can think properly they won't bomb here and there. Really curious what difficulties are the thai government facing in wiping them out.

Khun_Thai_Jedi
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I really feel sad for those victim and I am sure the Thailand tourism industry will going to suffer big time. First its Tsunami and now its bombing, really don't know what coming next ?

thaiboy
05-04-2005, 01:22 AM
I really feel sad for those victim and I am sure the Thailand tourism industry will going to suffer big time. First its Tsunami and now its bombing, really don't know what coming next ?

Thailand tourism suffer good....we can get cheaper girls to bonk kekekekeke and more girls will run out of the country to work.....

pirate
05-04-2005, 04:37 AM
if these people can think properly they won't bomb here and there. Really curious what difficulties are the thai government facing in wiping them out.

Its the same problem faced when not everyone in area is a terrorist, as in any situation, only a small percentage are hard liner=extremist(terrorist) so cant really see the good guys from the bad. Same situation USA facing in Iraq. They smile at U during the day and say they your friends, then shoot and bomb your ass at nite.

Halffull
06-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Thai officials claiming that there'll be more bombing in HDY.

Hope TV could give fellow cheongsters his view on the situation.

Tks.

excm69
07-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Yes TV, please fill us in on what you've heard....

.... there'll be more bombing in HDY.

Hope TV could give fellow cheongsters his view on the situation.

Tks.

Hasa Sas
10-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Powerful bomb defused at Hat Yai trade centre
Published on Apr 08 , 2005

Police have defused a bomb in the commercial district of Hat Yai, where suspected Muslim planted a bomb last Sunday in an usual attack outside their usual target area, security officials said Friday.

The remote-controlled 3 kg device, similar to last Sunday's bombs were made with gunpowder and fertiliser, was defused by bomb experts, a senior policeman said.

"The bomb was connected to a mobile phone and meant to cause damages, rather than take lives, otherwise it would have contained

a lot of nails," the officer said.

Police did not say where the bomb was found, but local newspapers suspect it was in a rubbish bin next to a major department store, but failed to explode as it was not wired properly.

The store manager said the bomb was found by a garbage collector at a dump site.

Bangkok Master
10-04-2005, 02:55 AM
The cracks in Lee Garden Plaza, tiles fell off, etc are not rumours. They actually happened and in the second earthquake, I was there the next day and saw workman doing a hurried job to quickly repair the damages.

Sounds like the situation is very bad, compare to what I watch from the news are always about the police solving the cases and reassuring the ppl everything is fine. Actually I wanted to pm u and was contemplating to go to haadyai for 2 or 3 days for cheonging after I finish reporting my gf in Maesai for Songkran cos I got a week break from work. Looks like have to postpone it until the situation gets better...... ;)

Bangkok Master
10-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Tiles only lah... not building. Nothing seriously probably poor workmanship as no other hotels have problems :D

Since you say like tat, it's Green Light from you to travel to Hadyai lah! I will confirm with you again if I'm going over....Btw you celebrating Songkran a not? Dun want to "Rob Kuan Khun".......

siaoCB
10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi ThaiVisitor ,

Can check with you how is the situation there now ? Was hoping to visit Hatyai but local police in SIN said better to stay away.What is your views.

Hasa Sas
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't know where this news come from. As far as I know, there was a "dud" bomb where the garbage collector thought was a real bomb and alerted the police. The police found that it was a dud bomb meaning not a bomb.

it was published in The Nation....think nothing serious abt this :)

Halffull
11-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Can check with you how is the situation there now ? Was hoping to visit Hatyai but local police in SIN said better to stay away.What is your views.

I think it'll be better for fellow cheongsters to make your own decision on whether we shld stay away from HDY for a while. It'll be difficult for one to discourage others from visiting the area if there's a conflict of interest by doing so.

No offence to anyone. Tks.

ciakpachineng
11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
"The bomb was connected to a mobile phone and meant to cause damages, rather than take lives, otherwise it would have contained

a lot of nails," the officer said.

I am amused by the officer's irrational assessment.....
Wouldn't damages to buildings take lives as well?
And why do U need nails to kill people? "Blown to bits", not nails is the name of game of bombs :D

unicornboy
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
I think its best for the time being to lie low. Maybe Bangkok safer...but Hatyai? :(

MrDevil
12-04-2005, 02:40 AM
I think it'll be better for fellow cheongsters to make your own decision on whether we shld stay away from HDY for a while. It'll be difficult for one to discourage others from visiting the area if there's a conflict of interest by doing so.

No offence to anyone. Tks.

How rightly you have put it. Well I dont think anyone need more than common sense to assess the risk during Songkran week when the bombing could occured in airport and one of the popular shopping center which both are non-politic, non-religion, non-government related place. If it's not for attention catching, what are the intentions? If Songkran is not the best time doing so, what could be the best time?

Well, having said so, I believe it wont deter any hardcore cheongsters to enjoy their plan as they believe they could never be the lucky one. Just pray they dont be at the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong reason.