PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and Good Food in Hatyai

WillyL
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I am in Thailand (especially Hatyai) about six months in a year since I have retired and I would like to contribute some eating places which are cheap and good in Hatyai. Most tourists will only patronize food stalls around the town. These places will of course charge higher prices and their food is not necessary good.

Breakfast

For pork porridge go to Kim Yong market. There is a shop which sells porridge as well as fish maw soup (either with mee or rice). If you want dim sum go to the shop opposite LK Hotel or near the new Seasons Hotel. One plate only cost 10 bahts. Go to 'Brothers' coffee shop for a variety of food. This place is just opposite Oriental Hotel and very popular with Malaysians or Singaporeans. My favourite breakfast is the pork soup just opposite the rear of Asian Hotel. It is just next to a big Chinese medicine shop on the same road with Siam Centre Hotel. The owner is a Teochew called Jaroon and his public relation with his customers is first class. For 40 bahts you can have a bowl of pork innards soup (beats our local version by a mile), a bowl of rice, a cold or hot drink and endless flow of Chinese tea. It is definitely value for money. But be sure to be there before 10.00 a.m. because the food will usually be sold out by then and on weekends there will be a big crowd, mostly locals.

Lunch and Dinner coming.....

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience. Members who have better places, please add on to the list.

lex300
22-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I am in Thailand (especially Hatyai) about six months in a year since I have retired and I would like to contribute some eating places which are cheap and good in Hatyai. Most tourists will only patronize food stalls around the town. These places will of course charge higher prices and their food is not necessary good.

Breakfast

For pork porridge go to Kim Yong market. There is a shop which sells porridge as well as fish maw soup (either with mee or rice). If you want dim sum go to the shop opposite LK Hotel or near the new Seasons Hotel. One plate only cost 10 bahts. Go to 'Brothers' coffee shop for a variety of food. This place is just opposite Oriental Hotel and very popular with Malaysians or Singaporeans. My favourite breakfast is the pork soup just opposite the rear of Asian Hotel. It is just next to a big Chinese medicine shop on the same road with Siam Centre Hotel. The owner is a Teochew called Jaroon and his public relation with his customers is first class. For 40 bahts you can have a bowl of pork innards soup (beats our local version by a mile), a bowl of rice, a cold or hot drink and endless flow of Chinese tea. It is definitely value for money. But be sure to be there before 10.00 a.m. because the food will usually be sold out by then and on weekends there will be a big crowd, mostly locals.

Lunch and Dinner coming.....

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience. Members who have better places, please add on to the list.
the Kuay Chup near Rado very delicious leh......

WillyL
27-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Hor fun, noodles (fried or 'ratna' - with gravy):

Lunch - in the alley near BP Tower, next to the shop selling friend chicken and the corner shop selling beef noodles.

Dinner - directly in front of New Seasons Hotel next to the shop selling 'chi char' which is also very good and cheap but expect to wait for a long time for your orders because there will be many locals eating or taking away.

Chicken Rice:

'Micky', on the same row with Indra Hotel opposite Swan Cafe. These are kampong chicken and not full of fat like ours. But make sure you go early as they are sold out by about 12.30 pm.

'Kum Teh' near See Kim Yoong is also good but is quite far away from town.

Beef Noodles:

As I mentioned earlier, near BP Towers. There is also another one in 'Ta La Ma' operating at night, but I do not know whether the lady is still selling. This stall is better as she do not put sugar in her soup. For white beef, go to one of 2 stalls which are located on the row of shops adjacent to Odean Shopping Mall (across the road).

I also found a cafe called 'Boat Bakery' near the old Lee Garden Hotel. Provides reasonably good American breakfast for 35 bahts. Sells also cakes, ice-cream and Thai food among others. Many SYTs go there for lunch.

No-go
01-01-2006, 04:14 PM
[Chicken Rice:

'Micky', on the same row with Indra Hotel opposite Swan Cafe. These are kampong chicken and not full of fat like ours. But make sure you go early as they are sold out by about 12.30 pm.

to me the chicken rice is so-so only n expensive. just my personal opinion.

WillyL
02-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Buffet Lunch at Lee Garden Plaza Hotel (33rd Floor)

A wide spread of food (roast duck, fried chicken, fish maw soup, etc) with desserts, ice-cream and coffee or tea. Take lift (1,2,3) to the lobby and then take another lift to the 33rd floor. Open for lunch and dinner. Lunch cost 139 bahts per head (last time I was there, maybe there is a change in price) and if you are a senior citizen, only 99 bahts. Value for money for those who can eat a lot.

Mukata (BBQ steam boat)

For dinner, go to one of these joints. Similar to our Marina South kind of set-up. 79 or 89 bahts per head, eat as much as you like. Many of these joints have mushroomed recently. Only set back is that the bbq plates are sloping so the meat or sea-food keep slipping off. The only joint which has the soup bowl in the centre is at 'Tai See Hee' (near Big C).

Pigs' Trotters

For crispy fried pigs' trotters go to Bon Khao Restaurant. Need transport to go there as it is at the Muncipality Park (on the way to the 'Four-faced Buddha' and 'Kuan Yin'). The restaurant also serves other kinds of Thai food. Prices are quite reasonable and very popular with locals and tourists.

For braised pigs' trotters go to the eating shop near the ex-Chao Phya MP. It is opposite 'Wondeful'.

MrDevil
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Lunch - in the alley near BP Tower, next to the shop selling friend chicken and the corner shop selling beef noodles.

Dinner - directly in front of New Seasons Hotel next to the shop selling 'chi char' which is also very good and cheap but expect to wait for a long time for your orders because there will be many locals eating or taking away.

There is another one a few back lanes behind Diana, not sure the road name but I guess lots of local will know this stall. Opening at evening around 5pm, it has the best fish maw with chicken drumstick soup here too. Local will start to crowd pretty early.

Chicken Rice:

'Kum Teh' near See Kim Yoong is also good but is quite far away from town.

The best I have tasted has to be the one opposite the petrol station in front of Old New Garden Hotel. Another 2 famous one is at Sadao - I find the one operated by 2 sisters taste better though they are pretty close in standard.

Beef Noodles:

As I mentioned earlier, near BP Towers. There is also another one in 'Ta La Ma' operating at night, but I do not know whether the lady is still selling. This stall is better as she do not put sugar in her soup. For white beef, go to one of 2 stalls which are located on the row of shops adjacent to Odean Shopping Mall (across the road).

I also found a cafe called 'Boat Bakery' near the old Lee Garden Hotel. Provides reasonably good American breakfast for 35 bahts. Sells also cakes, ice-cream and Thai food among others. Many SYTs go there for lunch.

It has lots of choices too, many locals here and pretty crowded during breakfast.

To add to the list, there are couple more good breakfast place

1. Bakuteh - the one located at the corner opp Merlin Hotel which operate in the morning. I usually prefer not to add vege to the soup, as the meat taste are all gone.

Another is is near See Kim Yong at the corner shop selling Asam prophet fish as well, the bakuteh is average but the asam fish is simply the best. It is pretty pricey too, cant blame the fish is pricey.

2. Prawn Noodle - Around See Kim Yong too, you could see they display a big fried prawn cake at the front of the store. This will be added to your noodle, crispy and yummy.

There are couple more good breakfast place but cant recall now, will add when it happen to pass my memory again.

sibaysong4u
04-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Duck mee suaw behind Regency Hotel, Low Kum Seng Chinese Tzi Char opp.Indra Hotel.

WillyL
04-01-2006, 07:07 PM
How about sashimi ?? Any fresh , cheap n good japanese restarant ?

Fuji Restaurant in the basement of Lee Garden Plaza has a variety of Japanese food but the prices are quite expensive.

Novotel (Central) has a Japanese buffet dinner (I think it is on Saturday or Wednesday, not very sure). For about 399 bahts (again not too sure of the exact price) you can eat as much as you like.

By the way, if you like cakes and bread, the cake shop in Central Shopping Mall (at the corner, opposite Lee Garden Plaza) offer cakes and pasteries at half price after 8.00 pm. Their cakes and pasteries are good - Black Forest, Tiramisu etc.

silverewyn
18-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Bro TV, how about the Ho Fun noodle shop that CR, JR, KS, R and me went to? The one that we had to wait for 1.5hours and will get kick out if we complain about the waiting time.

Ditto88
18-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Hmmm..this is a good thread !! Yummy !!

Chicken Rice

1) Dunno the name but it is at the same row with Brass Monkey. End shoplot. The shop next door is a hair dressing saloon ( Rumour says that one of the top hairdresser in HDY too ). It opens early from 9.30 morning onwards and finishes all their chicken around 12. The Fuck shops just hope that they can sell their chicken as fast as this guy does !!

Price : 300 Baht + for half chicken and 2 rice.
Taste : So So Only

2) Opposite Siam Mansion. The chicken rice here is good too with their " Gu Grawb ". Somemore saw a pretty Momma working there on my recent trip.

Price : Above average, chicken rice and Crunchy Mu Grawb for 4 appx 400 Baht +
Taste : Excellent

3) At Talad Mai area. There's only 1 stall selling chicken rice but there are many other stalls which gives a variety of choice. Famous for " Sa La Pau Tawd ", Fried Pau at the stall which sells drinks. Lots of locals hang out here. Opens only at night.

Price : 25 or 30 baht for a plate of chicken rice for 1 person
Taste : Excellent especially the rice.

4) There's is this chicken rice shop near the fresh market but it's pretty far off. Hopefully, my directions are good enough. Once you pass the fresh market on your left, you will reach a round-a-bout. Take 12 o'clock, drive appx 100 meters and you will see a 7-11, the shop is just next door.

Price : Above average at appx 300 baht for 2 persons.
Taste : Excellent

aroymakmak
21-08-2006, 12:54 PM
In fact surronding Neo-Boutique Hotel has many nice food.

1. Beef Yong Tau Foo. The road behind Neo Hotel, parallel to the small roundabout. If the small roundabout is behind u, the shop is just 50m on yr left.

2. Chicken rice. I still feel the chicken rice next to Ah Boon shop is one of the best.

3. Issan food. Those who like som tam,kor moo yan etc can try this shop. If u are facing Ah boon shop, This issan restaurant is about 50-100m right and is just next to the tim sum shop. Famous dish is the kor moo yan, yam tua poo, som tam, lap moo.

aroymakmak
21-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Bamboo shoot noodle, Fish noodle

If u happen to be in Tung Sau, i think u should try this special noodle. If u are facing the Tung Sau market, this shop is about 50m on the left (before the traffic light). There is only one dim sum shop.

U can order dim sum, bah kut teh and the special noodles here. Seem to be many film star also eat here.

If u really like the thai LOCAL food, there are so many to choose from. FYI, when i am in hatyai, i go to toilet (BIG BIG business) at least 3 times a day, hahhaa. But i really enjoy the food here.

WillyL
21-08-2006, 07:19 PM
The last thing anyone in Hatyai has to worry should be about food. Just go any 'chi char' stall and you can have cheap and delicious food - fried rice, rice with vegetables and meat toppings, fried noodles etc. And the prices are very reasonably cheap.

The deep-fried chicken is also very tempting but sinful (should not be eaten everyday). Do not have to worry about bird flu - the oil will kill you first.

Those who have transport should try out the seafood in Lampu or Lampoo. After Big C, make a right turn towards Songkla. You will see a shop selling car tyres (with Michellin advertisement). Turn into the road after this and go for another 4 or 5 km. There are road signs which you will not miss. The seafood there is really very fresh and cheap (2 big crabs, half a kilo of medium prawns, 2 'Songkla fish', fried rice, bbq squid, 'som tam' plus soda and Sprite for the liquor, cost about 1,000 bahts). You will eat like kelong style on the edge of the sea.

Hope this information will help bros who are gourmets like me.

WillyL
21-08-2006, 08:55 PM
No, Koyo is further away, across the bridge. Lampu is supposed to be a new resort but people go there just for the food. There is a row of about 6 or 7 shops selling seafood and because of competition, prices are reasonable.

Try the crabs fried with green curry - spicy and delicious.

Bros, if you can find any more good eating places, please share.

osaka69
29-08-2006, 10:39 AM
.......please post only 'food' here.

Ah Boon food stall.... opp NeO hotel
...nasi lemak...with tasty curry mutton and asam squid - available in morning
...'shui kou' dumping soup not so good. can miss.
...fried kuai tiaw - tasty but osyter too small

There are some nite food street behind Cintana (forget the stree name), the beef mee stall (by a chinese middle-age couple) and another stall selling deep fried chicken parts.

DickLip
29-08-2006, 11:05 AM
How about for nice hawker concept stall during the night night time?. Noticed that there's was abundant of hawker stalls in front of Regency Hotel (new wing) and i had tried roti their prata with banana fillings. It quite interesting snacks for supper.

Never got chances to explore more in this site all our us quite sober after came back from Deep Wonder.

I also wondering where shall I get on fresh oysters picked straight from tank?.

DL

There are some nite food street behind Cintana (forget the stree name), the beef mee stall (by a chinese middle-age couple) and another stall selling deep fried chicken parts.

Cupnoodle
29-08-2006, 12:34 PM

I had tried his fried kway teow with cockles but didn't know that it has an "OYSTER" version? Maybe next time I will request that order :D

Peace

humsup69
29-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I had tried his fried kway teow with cockles but didn't know that it has an "OYSTER" version? Maybe next time I will request that order :D

Peace

he's referring to seehum( crockles) la...u must like that suan ppl english meh?

WillyL
29-08-2006, 10:02 PM
People are funny! We, in Singapore and Malaysia, eat fried kway teow, wan-ton mee, chicken rice almost everyday until we get sick of them. Yet when we go to Thailand for a few days, we must try to look for these kind of food.

Actually we should eating Thai food when we have the opportunity in Hatyai.

In Singapore/Malaysia, when you crave for Thai food, you will find that the quality will not be the same and they are very expensive.

So in Thailand, eat only Thai food.

KatoeyLover69
30-08-2006, 11:53 AM
People are funny! We, in Singapore and Malaysia, eat fried kway teow, wan-ton mee, chicken rice almost everyday until we get sick of them. Yet when we go to Thailand for a few days, we must try to look for these kind of food.

Actually we should eating Thai food when we have the opportunity in Hatyai.

In Singapore/Malaysia, when you crave for Thai food, you will find that the quality will not be the same and they are very expensive.

So in Thailand, eat only Thai food.

Yes, I agree ....... people are funny !

You have people asking :-

1. Where to find PRC girls in Hatyai / Bangkok ?

2. Where to find Russians / Ang Mohs in Bangkok/Danok/Hatyai ?

In Thailand, you should only find and bonk Thai pussies and nothing else !

KatoeyLover69
30-08-2006, 11:58 AM
That is true but it's quite unique in Hatyai. If someone wants to eat Thai food for breakfast, he'll probably have to try those Northern or North-Eastern food where the Thais eat themselves, like Khao Nom Chin, Som Tum, etc, etc.

Moreover, such places are quite limited and instead all sorts of M'sian & S'pore food can be much more easily found and available.

The reason why all sorts of Malaysian / S'porean food is easily available in Hatyai is because Hatyai is 'flooded' with Malaysian / S'poreans looking for cheap fucks :D ................. you don't get this situation in Bangkok

WillyL
31-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I mentioned that this thread is mainly for the sharing of food in Hatyai and not other matters. Then, all of a sudden, the postings of sex disappeared. Kudos to those who have deleted these messages. I think that they are very sincere and honourable.

Keep on sharing good food. Thanks.

edkoh2000
09-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Wan Ton Mee

The Stall behind old sakura with nice sugar cane juice also. Whenever I cheong with my friends there for to go there and eat.

Chicken porridge at Hatyai Palace. Always call roomservice for supper.

MrDevil
10-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Hmmm..this is a good thread !! Yummy !!

Chicken Rice

1) Dunno the name but it is at the same row with Brass Monkey. End shoplot. The shop next door is a hair dressing saloon ( Rumour says that one of the top hairdresser in HDY too ). It opens early from 9.30 morning onwards and finishes all their chicken around 12. The Fuck shops just hope that they can sell their chicken as fast as this guy does !!

Price : 300 Baht + for half chicken and 2 rice.
Taste : So So Only

The chicken rice is so-so but the hair dressing next shop boss's daugther is more yummy. There was once we were attracted by the boss daugther and went in to check out. From a normal hair wash, we ended up spending 2 hours there covering facial, pedicure and manicure where the bill end up more than 1,500baht each. There is another better hair dressing near LGP where they have mirror on top and their ladies wear low cut to show their clevage on purpose but bear in mind, you will eventually end up spending 2 hours there, so get prepared for the bill. Sorry forgotten the name.

MrDevil
10-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Mukata (BBQ steam boat)

For dinner, go to one of these joints. Similar to our Marina South kind of set-up. 79 or 89 bahts per head, eat as much as you like. Many of these joints have mushroomed recently. Only set back is that the bbq plates are sloping so the meat or sea-food keep slipping off. The only joint which has the soup bowl in the centre

There is another one beside Boon Tong, fishing restaurant where Mukata operate at night. Mostly local and variety choice for selection. The best that I like is the BBQ at center with the BBQ meat juice slope down to the soup making much tastier. Price at 89b if i remember correctly. Be early on weekends as it is usually full.

MrDevil
10-09-2006, 02:44 AM

The best Pert Tai - dried fried hor fun I tasted so far is near Diana. From Diana towards Banana Club and futher down about middle of the street where there is a shop selling Pert Tai and fish maw soup. Start operating about 5pm and local started crowding in with lots of packing order.

I guess it will be great if someone could compile all the info into a list and put more info like street adress, maybe contact number, location map and maybe photo of the shop. Bro TV started a very good lead here.

Beef Noodles:

Another one at Sim Kim Yong with 2 shop lots selling only beef noodle operating for breakfast and lunch. Lots of local too.

On the same street, it also has a pretty good Bak Kut Teh and famous for their Asam Fish but very pricey. A meal for 3 could cost more than 500baht. There is also a famouse prawn noodle. It has a big prawn cracker hang on the stall window. Operate at morning and close by 11plus.

MrDevil
10-09-2006, 02:46 AM

The best Pert Tai - dried fried hor fun I tasted so far is near Diana. From Diana towards Banana Club and futher down about middle of the street where there is a shop selling Pert Tai and fish maw soup. Start operating about 5pm and local started crowding in with lots of packing order.

Beef Noodles:

Another one at Sim Kim Yong with 2 shop lots selling only beef noodle operating for breakfast and lunch. Lots of local too.

On the same street, it also has a pretty good Bak Kut Teh and famous for their Asam Fish but very pricey. A meal for 3 could cost more than 500baht. There is also a famouse prawn noodle. It has a big prawn cracker hang on the stall window. Operate at morning and close by 11plus.

I guess it will be great if someone could compile all the info into a list and put more info like street adress, maybe contact number, location map and maybe photo of the shop. Bro TV started a very good lead here.

MrDevil
10-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Supper Meal - sharing couple of supper locations , especially after disco time.

1. Balcony - serve mainly local thai dish and frequent by locals after partying at disco. Have 2 section, one open air in garden setting while another in air-con room. Operate till wee morning.

2. Lim Tong - near SKY big drain. A small bamboo concept, frequent also by mostly locals and loud drinkers. Few sissy waiters also work here and quite fun to tease. Some may not feel comfortable here bcos it could be kind of messy. Operate till easily 4~5am.

3. Blue Kiss - used to be a classy supper place with lots of chicks hanging around and for hunting but I guess there is not enough foreign night crowd to support, it is now attracting more locals with lower price and main focus seems to be on drink now. Very crowded even at week days. Quite comfy with the place fully aircon, jassy music and adequate security.

4. The street in front of LGP with hawker stalls selling kway tway soup, duck noodle and also desert. A good place to hang out to tease Katoeys and some last luck FLs.