PDA

View Full Version : Divorce Fee

ThailandLover
23-09-2012, 10:40 PM
I will like to know the average cost of hiring the divorce lawyer as I am looking for a lawyer with reasonable fee (contested / uncontested divorce). And lastly, how long will the divorce procedure last? Thank you very much.

mseveninch
24-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi TS - Lawyer fees had no boundary - it's very much depends on the complexity of your case. Also the duration is one of the factors that caused the fees to up if either one parties does not give in for amicable settlements and more papers to file in court.

My experienced - engaged a lawyer with an upfront 3k for my case. The battle lasted over 3 years before come to out of court settlement ( settlement in Chamber ). The final bill's due to me - 12k!!

In summary - there is no clear estimation how much you need to pay. You need to standby at least 10k - just in - case you need to battle it out in court. The lawyer will ask for an upfront deposit first ( lawyer afraid you can't pay later and they need to discharge themselves from representing you because you can't pay and the court date is near ).

One more things need to note. Never engage a top class lawyer - cost more. Normal grade lawyer will do. they are many around to choose on!

Good luck!

LittleDidIKnow
24-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Bro

Just get one of those based at Chinatown. For uncontested divorce and if you don't have too much property, $1.8k - $2k should be sufficient.

kenstud27
24-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi TS

Best is to settle with your ex-wife on the terms and conditions so that you wont have all the disputes and prolonging your case longer than necessary.

I made all the agreement w my ex-wife before going to the lawyer in Feb.....everything went kinda smooth except for some typo mistakes done by the lawyer secretary so the appeal had to be resent to court.....now final judgement coming this Oct first week....all i spent about 2.5k....

Like the bros mentioned, prices vary n my lawyer is from People Park Centre.

All the best!

5ag1_Boar
24-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Depends. Lawyers charge by the number of hours they spend in court for your case, how many documents/letters they have to produce for you, how many meetings/negotiations they attend for/with you etc.

Baseline 2K +/- a few hundred is about there for a really bare minimum case.

If you can, discuss and agree with your ex-wife-to-be the terms of divorce without the lawyers involvement. E.g.:
- The maintenance that you will pay her.
- If have children, the maintenance you will pay, who has care and control,and whether joint or sole custody.
- How assets will be split.

You can ask your lawyer, what needs to be discussed and agreed on, then have a private discussion with your ex-to-be, no lawyers present. Bring the agreements back to each of your lawyers and let them know. They will then do the necessary paperwork and court appearances to finalise the case.

You should also ask your lawyer what is reasonable, so you can negotiate accordingly.

All this is of course is provided that both of you can do this without major conflict.

Possible other costs: your ex-to-be's legal and related fees.

cgcgcg
24-09-2012, 06:00 PM
can we DIY instead of go thru lawyer if simple case?

NaNa
24-09-2012, 10:14 PM

I doubt so.

Mythbuster
24-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Very hard bro

callmebad
24-09-2012, 10:42 PM
fees vary
depend on how complicated is your case
depend on whether there are lots of things to fight over such as child custody, fight over how much she can claim as a % of the value of matrimony house, anything that you own and she wants to have a share

generally the longer the marriage it is, the more expensive will be the divorce proceedings because there are more things (child, house, other assets) to fight over as you ask your lawyer to write counter-argument letters against her claims/accusations

she can fight to claim for your assets even if she did not pay for them if the marriage is long

Singapore law allows divorce after 3 years of separation, in the eyes of the law, separation doesn't mean both of you are physically separated, both of you can stay under the same roof, but she stops performing her wife duties such as she stops cooking for you, she stops washing your clothes, of course she stops having sex with you - such acts are considered separation

but if either party contest the divorce, then divorce can only file after 4 years of separation (which happens to me)

sleepygordon
24-09-2012, 11:31 PM
fees vary
depend on how complicated is your case
depend on whether there are lots of things to fight over such as child custody, fight over how much she can claim as a % of the value of matrimony house, anything that you own and she wants to have a share

generally the longer the marriage it is, the more expensive will be the divorce proceedings because there are more things (child, house, other assets) to fight over as you ask your lawyer to write counter-argument letters against her claims/accusations

she can fight to claim for your assets even if she did not pay for them if the marriage is long

Singapore law allows divorce after 3 years of separation, in the eyes of the law, separation doesn't mean both of you are physically separated, both of you can stay under the same roof, but she stops performing her wife duties such as she stops cooking for you, she stops washing your clothes, of course she stops having sex with you - such acts are considered separation

but if either party contest the divorce, then divorce can only file after 4 years of separation (which happens to me)

Not true. You or your soon to be ex wife can file for unreasonable behaviour. Dun have to wait for 3 or 4 years. But it will be painful. If you have kids under age of 8 years...it is now mandatory for counseling and mediation.

kongkek
24-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Agree with most. Me 10K ant not done. Just missed one payment too :(

Greendevil
25-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Since so many bros here mention fees already I just elaborate on the time. For uncontested case, it will take approx 5-6 months before you are officially single again. If your case if contested, just bear in mind every court session will wait for 1months before yours is heard again so the more issues the more court session means longer time. That explain why some ppl spend over a year to divorce.

spidey7
25-09-2012, 01:29 PM
3yrs e divorce will b finalized. Hv u found a divorce lawyer yet? Dere will b alot o complications.

Greendevil
25-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Also if your case is a contested case, I suggest you spend a bit more money get a barrister than a solicitor. It may cost a bit more but if may means save you a few rds of courts session and eventually be better off.

Just to share with you my experience. My barrister was the classmate of the family court judge who is also handling my case same with my opponent lawyer who is only a solicitor which is their classmate as well. So it turn out to be a mini law class gathering for them and good things is my lawyer is in good term with the judges as obviously they have soar to higher ground since graduate less the solicitor. Needless to say, I left the court as a happy man. The score is like 4 - 1, almost a full walk over. The only score my opponent able to score is because the 'coach' want to end the match fast and ask the goalkeeper to kelong.

5ag1_Boar
25-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Let's clear some common misconceptions.

Ways to divorce:
1. If one party has valid grounds (i.e. valid reason), can file for divorce immediately (the legal process will still take a few months at least). No need to wait 3 or 4 years. However, the other party can contest the divorce. E.g. A files divorce on the grounds that B committed adultery. B can contest the divorce and deny the accusation. A then has to produce the proof and B has to defend. If A is not able to convincingly proved the case, then judge can deny the divorce.

Two of the grounds (reasons) for divorce I can remember are:
A. Unreasonable behavior. E.g. late nights, abuse, violence, etc.
B. Adultery.

2. After 3 years of separation, if both parties agree, can file for divorce without just cause. In this case no accusation or defense required.

3. If one party does agree to divorce after 3 years, than have to wait till 4th year, than either party can file for divorce without agreement of the other. Also no accusation or defense required.

Separation has to be proven. Best is get lawyers to draft out for you a deed of separation at the beginning. Both have to sign. 3 or 4 years later, use that as proof that you have been separated for that long. If don't have a deed of separation, there are other more troublesome ways, but I can't remember.

For all 3 ways, getting a decent lawyer familiar with divorce cases is still a good idea. How to reduce cost, already mentioned in previous posts above.

Greendevil
25-09-2012, 04:24 PM
just to add on previous bro point, for unreasonable behaviour, please bear in mind this word is very ambiguous. It can be pain stalking experience just to prove this point if the other party want to make it difficult for you. a friend of mine spend 1 year of his dviorce case just going ard this point, ending up with pin hole cam in home, private investigator and etc just to have his case valid. again if both parties is agreeable to divorce, then this will be a good point to use as well since both parties had not separate nor can prove adultry, unless you want to be hero and be the next singapore edison chen. Again, it still have it loop holes. Ig your spouse want to be a bitch and act angel during mediation session and forgive you for all your 'misdeed', then it will be a roller coaster ride for you.

Peacock29
25-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I used to work in a related industry for 6 years. I am not a lawyer nor worked in lawfirm. And also a divorcee. Just sharing base on experience.

4 Grounds of Divorce in Singapore

1) Adultery
Either 1 of the party admit OR caught by a PI with evidence pointing "the act" is committed. Or indirectly committed.

2) Unreasonable Behavior
Like what Bro 5ag1_Boar had mentioned. But to add, sometimes having a 3rd party can considered unreasonable behavior, may need PI to get evidence. Or either one party admitted unreasonable behavior. (in my own case).

3a) Separation with consent - 3 Years
3b) Separation without consent - 4 Years

Take Note a DEED OF SEPARATION is not NEEDED in either. Either party just need to prove they are leaving separately for the time period. But some people due to child maintenance, or money issue, still draw out a deed of separation just in case.

4) Desertion - 2 years

Either party deserted the family for 2 years.

Uncontested Divorce should cost around 2-3k.
Contest Divorce no limit, case by case.

Best way to divorce if both parties is in talking terms, go for uncontested divorce.
Settle all issues all maintenance, child maintenance, asset division etc before going to a lawyer. BTW both parties can also USE the same lawyer if all conditions is discussed. (in my own case)

Fastest uncontested i came across is 5 months, but my case is a year as my ex-wife got difficulties with bank loan taking over our HDB flat.
Stages
1)From seeing a lawyer until getting a interim judgement 2-3 months (fastest)
2)After interim judgement, you will have a 3 months cooling period before you get the final judgement, once you get the final judgement, you are done! 3-3.5months (fastest)

Hope this helps!

Frankiestine
25-09-2012, 07:24 PM
yes its possible but then you will be at a disadvantage against those vultures who does this kind of things for a living...especially when it comes to the legal jargons...

merlinlion3
25-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Strongly agree with bro Frankiesteine. Got a lot of cheap Charlies try to save on this and that. What they don't realise is that the English they learn in school and the English used in law is different. Same words can have different meanings and how the judge will understand it.

Haven't divorce yet, then just ask any of your landlord friends whether they can throw out tenant's barang if he didn't pay rent. Layman reading of legal documents and how the judge and lawyers understand it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Don't wait until u lose because your SO has lawyer n u boh, n end up pay like siao in alimony and lose a lot of assets.

Frankiestine
26-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I used to work in a related industry for 6 years. I am not a lawyer nor worked in lawfirm. And also a divorcee. Just sharing base on experience.

4 Grounds of Divorce in Singapore

1) Adultery
Either 1 of the party admit OR caught by a PI with evidence pointing "the act" is committed. Or indirectly committed.
[/B]

Hope this helps!

Just to add on for adultery, understand from lawyer that any divorce arising out of adultery grounds must be done within 6 months if not then it is no longer a valid ground.

wins1973
26-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Me also divorcee, i give my house, car and saving to my ex-wife to end this marraige 2 years ago, the reason i cannot get along with her mother as she always back-stab me. As what her family said husband can find again but mother only one.

In the end , she won but lost a husband but bank super loaded. I really hope Pay and Pay to remove such law "woman charter" right.

No better, how our gov encourage marriage the divorce rate will continue to climb because of this law, woman can wayang wayang in court.:eek:

Lawyer fee can be high depend how complicated

Rickey
26-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Me also divorcee, i give my house, car and saving to my ex-wife to end this marraige 2 years ago, the reason i cannot get along with her mother as she always back-stab me. As what her family said husband can find again but mother only one.

In the end , she won but lost a husband but bank super loaded. I really hope Pay and Pay to remove such law "woman charter" .

No better, how our gov encourage marriage the divorce rate will continue to climb because of this law, woman can wayang wayang in court. Lawyer fee can be high
Yes, for sure all marriages begin very well ! n on a happy note..."ur folks and mine happy n smiling" :)...but sadly many end up in smoke for various reasons, many a time caused by the wives rightly or wrongly, like the one mentioned abv by bro wins1973 :(...sigh...last heard, 64% of women initiated divorce...

Yah, backed up by the Women's Charter, they can become easily intolerant n unforgivable of their man for mistakes made or even for real or perceived wrongdoings even if unintentional n even when sincere apologies were offered, they would still not hesitate to yield the axe. They feel they hv no problems changing partners at anytime they like, like changing cars or buying new dresses, knowing they dun hv much to lose. So, guys who r not married yet, be warned again !! ...DO NOT GET MARRIED since u r not in it yet until u know ur gal very well esp her temperament (temper) n her ability to forgive n forget the past n save urselves a lot of money n heartaches getting into tis kinda mess...jus mho...

ramadel
27-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Yes you can DIY. The family court staff can guide you in the filing procedures and most of it can be done online. However most lawyers will advise you against DIY unless it is a straight forward amicable divorce.

ramadel
27-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Just to add on for adultery, understand from lawyer that any divorce arising out of adultery grounds must be done within 6 months if not then it is no longer a valid ground.

No problem if exceed 6 months coz they will just amend it to unreasonable behavior. :)

ramadel
27-09-2012, 12:23 AM
just to add on previous bro point, for unreasonable behaviour, please bear in mind this word is very ambiguous. It can be pain stalking experience just to prove this point if the other party want to make it difficult for you. a friend of mine spend 1 year of his dviorce case just going ard this point, ending up with pin hole cam in home, private investigator and etc just to have his case valid. again if both parties is agreeable to divorce, then this will be a good point to use as well since both parties had not separate nor can prove adultry, unless you want to be hero and be the next singapore edison chen. Again, it still have it loop holes. Ig your spouse want to be a bitch and act angel during mediation session and forgive you for all your 'misdeed', then it will be a roller coaster ride for you.

Sometimes I wonder why do the parties go to such extremes to prove who is right or who is at fault. The Family Court does not care who is fucking whom. All they need to know is whether there are eligible grounds for the divorce as laid down by the Women's Charter. The disputes in 95% of divorces are mainly over the division of the matrimonial assets and not over the reason for the divorce.

A woman may have screwed everyone in the neighborhood yet when it comes to the divorce her actions has no bearing on the court's decision. They will just take into consideration that she is morally loose but that does not affect her entitlement from the marriage as prescribed by the Women's Charter. Men will always be the loser. :mad:

jameschong1
27-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Bro
Just get one of those based at Chinatown. For uncontested divorce and if you don't have too much property, $1.8k - $2k should be sufficient.
=======
my friend hire 1 lawyer at People's park centre for about $3k - he lost his case heavily.
his wige hire one $11k lawyer & she gain so many times more!
moral of the story = same as property consultants. u engage a top class agent vs a discount commission agent & u know the final result
serve these cheapos right

ramadel
27-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Bro

Chinatown is inside CBD..... CBD lawyers pay higher rental so will charge more.
Get those small lawyer firms outside the CBD for cheaper rates and better service as most of them do not have many cases so they can spend more time and attention monitoring to your case. Some of these lawyers go as low as $1k - $1.5k only. :D

asdfghjkl
27-09-2012, 04:11 AM

only if both parties are still on good terms.. so both also DIY. :o

Peacock29
27-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Sometimes I wonder why do the parties go to such extremes to prove who is right or who is at fault. The Family Court does not care who is fucking whom. All they need to know is whether there are eligible grounds for the divorce as laid down by the Women's Charter. The disputes in 95% of divorces are mainly over the division of the matrimonial assets and not over the reason for the divorce.

A woman may have screwed everyone in the neighborhood yet when it comes to the divorce her actions has no bearing on the court's decision. They will just take into consideration that she is morally loose but that does not affect her entitlement from the marriage as prescribed by the Women's Charter. Men will always be the loser. :mad:

Yes very true. Even woman is prove adulterous, her entitlement will not change. But we man stand a slight edge in this case IF we are fighting for custody.

A UN-written rule is 99% of the cases, if the children is below 8 years old, woman sure win the custody unless proven otherwise that woman is unable to take care of the kid well.

__________________________________________________ ___

I am quite surprised to see a bro married 2 years and lost so many things. Because court usually see:-
1) Length of Marriage,
2) Child / Children
3) Contribution of money towards matrimonial assets (BTW if wife is full time housewife, also considered contributed to family)
4) Paycheck of husband
5) Quality of Lifestyle during marriage (a woman cannot be too far worse off if she divorce)
before deciding the alimony to be paid and division of matrimonial assets (%)

Perhaps the bro dunno and agree to the terms??

Peacock29
27-09-2012, 04:29 AM

No problem if exceed 6 months coz they will just amend it to unreasonable behavior.

Bro Ramadel is correct. Court will amend it to unreasonable behavior.

And to add on, if your other partner committed adultery, and if you choose to FORGIVE him/her, adultery will not stand also, whether it is 6 months or not. But you still can use it for unreasonable behavior.

Greendevil
27-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Chinatown is inside CBD..... CBD lawyers pay higher rental so will charge more.
Get those small lawyer firms outside the CBD for cheaper rates and better service as most of them do not have many cases so they can spend more time and attention monitoring to your case. Some of these lawyers go as low as $1k - $1.5k only. :D

Truly agree with bro ramadel here. Lucky my lawyer firm is at tanjong pagar. Unless u don't have much asset to fight with, then go Chinatown. I seen lawyer
At family court having a girl in late 20s talking to her client like a student taking points with her teacher. Good thing not cheap, cheap thing not good

5ag1_Boar
27-09-2012, 09:50 AM
* deleted: *

Loon khor
27-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Understand that if asset total more than $1.5m..your hearing will be heard in high court. And if any party is not happy with the outcome, your next level will be in the court of appeal. Minimum lawyer fee $15k exclusing securities deposit and court fee. Wow!!

wins1973
27-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Agree with brother here, i am a soft-hearted person so i give her everythings and have to start allover again. I just dun want to drag on and hurt myself as i still love her but her family keep supporting her to divorce as they say sure win big one. Until today i dun understand why got suh a ather and mother like her daugther to be screw and fuck my other man . I think this family and relative mental got problem and look at their divorce cases among their families and relative make me shock and somemore they kept engaging the same lawyer again.

This indian lawyer sure laugh to the bank rom the day she know them

There was once i nearly feel like giving up everythings and leave singapore

Deepheat
27-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes very true. Even woman is prove adulterous, her entitlement will not change. But we man stand a slight edge in this case IF we are fighting for custody.

A UN-written rule is 99% of the cases, if the children is below 8 years old, woman sure win the custody

Moral of the story here is NEVER EVER GET MARRIED in Singapore !! :mad:

Deepheat
27-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Truly agree with bro ramadel here. Lucky my lawyer firm is at tanjong pagar. Unless u don't have much asset to fight with, then go Chinatown. I seen lawyer
At family court having a girl in late 20s talking to her client like a student taking points with her teacher. Good thing not cheap, cheap thing not good

Tanjong Pagar also inside CBD rite? My colleague engaged an Indian lawyer from Middle Road. I think this lawyer is a one man show but after the divorce case was completed, my colleague was surprised when the lawyer only collected $1.5K all inclusive from him. :D

When he asked the lawyer why his legal fees was so little, the lawyer told my colleague that he charge according to the clients' financial status. Since my colleague travels by public transport so his fee was pegged at $1.5K but he will charge $15K for a similar case if the client drives a Mercedes or BMW. :)

LittleDidIKnow
27-09-2012, 11:18 PM
=======
my friend hire 1 lawyer at People's park centre for about $3k - he lost his case heavily.
his wige hire one $11k lawyer & she gain so many times more!
moral of the story = same as property consultants. u engage a top class agent vs a discount commission agent & u know the final result
serve these cheapos right

You got reading problem?? Go read my reply again before you start spewing your nonsense here.

Frankiestine
28-09-2012, 03:45 PM
It does not make a difference how much lawyers cost, end of the day it just a matter of who got a better liar of a lawyer...everyone knows lawyers are trained to twist and turns facts to each other advantage..

jameschong1
28-09-2012, 09:28 PM
You got reading problem?? Go read my reply again before you start spewing your nonsense here.
======
it's ass like u who got problem, that's why your wife kick u out & divorce u right?
for low income people like u, still got consolation as u can consider marry foreign woman from vietnam, myanmar, indonesia, cambodia, laos, even tibet.
of course ang mo, japanese, korean, taiwanese and even prc and thais are out for u
reading problem - no problem. but money problem is BIGGGGGGG problem for u

wins1973
29-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Today woman in singapore got no heart, once going to divorce they will squeeze you upside down. They will dry you and try not allow you got any more chance to know other girl.

That why woman nowsday go out and steal eat, just look at the few cases which incloude civil servant. Papaya should file a law once divorce 50% each then the rate will drop

kurosaki ichigo
29-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Agree with brother here, i am a soft-hearted person so i give her everythings and have to start allover again. I just dun want to drag on and hurt myself as i still love her but her family keep supporting her to divorce as they say sure win big one. Until today i dun understand why got suh a ather and mother like her daugther to be screw and fuck my other man . I think this family and relative mental got problem and look at their divorce cases among their families and relative make me shock and somemore they kept engaging the same lawyer again.

You married a PRC girl issit?

Iluminati
29-09-2012, 07:42 AM
i just want to ask in case of divorce, let say i own the house title and right before divorce i transfer the house name title to my family member. is that allowable in divorce situation and what will happen from then on? or what will also happen if i sell the house to a bona fide purchaser for title?

ErnestK
29-09-2012, 08:36 AM
If the house is purchased by you before the marriage, high chance she will not be entitled to it. Only assets acquired AFTER the marriage will be liable to be shared with her. Hence, even if you didn't transfer the title out, it's still ok. I said high chance because it also depends on how her lawyer advise her. For eg, if after the marriage, you did a renovation that resulted in the increase in the perceived value of the house, her lawyer can argue from this angle. In law, there is no absolute right or wrong. It depends on how well your lawyer is able to convince the judge.

Lone_Wolf
01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
If the house is purchased by you before the marriage, high chance she will not be entitled to it. Only assets acquired AFTER the marriage will be liable to be shared with her.

Not entirely true..... if the property is used as the matrimonial home then she is entitled to a share of it.

True case that happened to a family friend. He comes from a well to do family in the food distribution business and while helping out in the business... he came to know a PRC girl from their China branch office. They got married and he brought her over. When his siblings got married, their parents bought a condo for each of them as a wedding gift but because they are wary of his PRC wife, my friend did not get his condo. Instead he and his bride was asked to move into the family's bungalow so that they can keep an eye on the PRC bride.

All was well for the initial years until his wife was granted her Citizenship... within a matter of months she filed for divorce and demanded for everything she can lay hands on. The bungalow which they lived in belongs to his parents so my friend thought that property was safe from her hands.

The judge had different ideas though and during the proceedings asked my friend's father why did he ask the couple to move into the bungalow..... the old man answered naively that he wanted them to have a roof over their heads since they do not have their own property. Upon hearing the old man's answer.... the judge ruled that the bungalow was the matrimonial home of the couple and that they are entitled to half of the property. He then awarded the PRC wife 50% of their share of the bungalow..... meaning the ex-wife now owns 25% of his parents home. :mad:

Dun underestimate the Womens Charter...... they can do wonders with it and interprete it as they wish to suit their outcome.

FARK THE WOMEN'S CHARTER !! :mad: :mad:

Mayoress
02-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Not entirely true..... if the property is used as the matrimonial home then she is entitled to a share of it.

True case that happened to a family friend. He comes from a well to do family in the food distribution business and while helping out in the business... he came to know a PRC girl from their China branch office. They got married and he brought her over. When his siblings got married, their parents bought a condo for each of them as a wedding gift but because they are wary of his PRC wife, my friend did not get his condo. Instead he and his bride was asked to move into the family's bungalow so that they can keep an eye on the PRC bride.

All was well for the initial years until his wife was granted her Citizenship... within a matter of months she filed for divorce and demanded for everything she can lay hands on. The bungalow which they lived in belongs to his parents so my friend thought that property was safe from her hands.

The judge had different ideas though and during the proceedings asked my friend's father why did he ask the couple to move into the bungalow..... the old man answered naively that he wanted them to have a roof over their heads since they do not have their own property. Upon hearing the old man's answer.... the judge ruled that the bungalow was the matrimonial home of the couple and that they are entitled to half of the property. He then awarded the PRC wife 50% of their share of the bungalow..... meaning the ex-wife now owns 25% of his parents home. :mad:

Dun underestimate the Womens Charter...... they can do wonders with it and interprete it as they wish to suit their outcome.

FARK THE WOMEN'S CHARTER !! :mad: :mad:

Maybe on hindsight the father would have been better off buying the condo for your friend. Even though she was awarded only 25% of the bungalow but it is still worth more than the condo. It's damn scary the way the Family Court works... luckily I am not married. ;)

merlinlion3
02-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Zhun bo? The PRC wife where got claim to her in-law's bungalow? That is her mother in-law's matrimonial home lah. Otherwise all she has to do is to stay overnight at anybody's house and get divorced there then the property becomes her matrimonial home?

Ko leng si bro Lone Wolf friend confused and say wrongly lah. Ah bo then I fast hand fast leg go marry any PRC, knock door on all the GCB in Singapore to see which can stay one night and divorce. Then I get 25% of GCB liao. kekeke

Max77
02-10-2012, 02:07 AM
they gonna pass a law that singles can buy flats at younger age anyway

ROM business will drop by 90% soon

merlinlion3
02-10-2012, 02:15 AM
U are so right bro. Many people heard stories of how first hand HDB flats are a confirmed jackpot when resale, so that is why Sinkies propose by saying apply flat together. The dollar signs cloud all judgement de. :D

But now that singles can buy, u are 100% correct that marriage rates will crash.

Armadillo2014
03-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Zhun bo? The PRC wife where got claim to her in-law's bungalow? That is her mother in-law's matrimonial home lah. Otherwise all she has to do is to stay overnight at anybody's house and get divorced there then the property becomes her matrimonial home?

Ko leng si bro Lone Wolf friend confused and say wrongly lah. Ah bo then I fast hand fast leg go marry any PRC, knock door on all the GCB in Singapore to see which can stay one night and divorce. Then I get 25% of GCB liao. kekeke

I think I remember this case as well.... it was all over the news because the family involved is well known in the business community. They are a major importer and distributor of canned food from China. Their bungalow is not a GCB but those old style type of bungalow along Jalan Haji Alias off Sixth Ave.

There was a long court battle over whether the bungalow was the couple's matrimonial home. The father's testimony tilted the case in the PRC's favour when he stated that he asked the married couple to move in and live there.

If I recall correctly, in this case the PRC also asked for a share of the family business claiming that she helped built up the business through her China contacts and introductions.

ramadel
04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
If I recall correctly, in this case the PRC also asked for a share of the family business claiming that she helped built up the business through her China contacts and introductions.

So what was the outcome ?

jameschong1
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
=====
outcome is he lose all his cum, stupid!

Armadillo2014
18-10-2012, 02:17 AM

I managed to trace this case in the archives. She was awarded 25% of the bungalow and a monthly maintenance of $1K. Nothing from the business was awarded to her.

michael_368
18-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I managed to trace this case in the archives. She was awarded 25% of the bungalow and a monthly maintenance of $1K. Nothing from the business was awarded to her.

tks bro and up you. :D

ah john
18-10-2012, 10:53 AM
another question, does going to hookers consider adultery? yes?

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 12:57 PM
bro... 2 parts of the story ...

first , deed of separation, this can be done WITHOUT a lawyer ... once both terms are agreed and signed....

second, divorce (divorce writ) ... this has to be submitted to court ...

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/family/page.aspx?pageid=3745

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 01:00 PM
so ... basically, this is possible to do it yourself (D.I.Y) but extremely troublesome ... you have to file for this and that and all ... IF there is no contest by your wife, it could be possible... if there is a contest... than better find lawyer

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 01:10 PM

so ... thats why there is a saying "what is morally wrong might not be legally wrong..."so you have to prove your point in this case.

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 01:14 PM

well.. bro , I did gave up everything and left singapore ... frankly, looking at the law from the outside, you can see that the SG laws really put your hands down without liberality...

bro, for your case. IF I were you, I will kai dao with her mother. I would dig for evidence and sue her for defamation. Do not need to engage lawyer, if you have evidence on your own. Even if she employ the best evidence, she cannot turn over the facts.

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 01:20 PM

so rich still dont want to challenge it ... bring it up to the court of appeal... why didnt the lawyers ask the judge how he/she arrive from this interpretation... why the lawyers never advice the father ...

jameschong1
18-10-2012, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=samsonboy;7948759]well.. bro , I did gave up everything and left singapore ...
===
U ARE A QUITTER!
No wonder EM Goh CT think some of u are QUITTER!

Frankiestine
18-10-2012, 01:30 PM
so ... thats why there is a saying "what is morally wrong might not be legally wrong..."so you have to prove your point in this case.

Well if it is the case of the man fucking around then he is judged morally wrong already but when a woman fucks around...the law is blind...well that is how i see it anyway..

simoncheng
18-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Well if it is the case of the man fucking around then he is judged morally wrong already but when a woman fucks around...the law is blind...well that is how i see it anyway..

I want to be reincarnated as a woman in Singapore in my next life. :)

Frankiestine
18-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I want to be reincarnated as a woman in Singapore in my next life. :)

:rolleyes:well if you don't mind getting poke all the time:D

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=samsonboy;7948759]well.. bro , I did gave up everything and left singapore ...
===
U ARE A QUITTER!
No wonder EM Goh CT think some of u are QUITTER!

haha .... and I am happy I quitted

samsonboy
18-10-2012, 02:34 PM

what you were saying is "morally" ... and I support your quote that the law is blind ... but frankly, not always ...

analog
18-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi Guys:

I'm not sure why you all are so worried about "who is wrong" in a divorce, the court DOES NOT CARE. Divorce hearings are held in the family court its not as easy here as say in Calaifornia but its quite straight forward.
All matrimonial assets are divided in half and because of the sexist nature of the obsolete yet still in use women's charter, the owner of the penis then has agree to a sum of maintenance payments EVEN IF THE WIFE MAKES MORE MONEY THAN HIM. It fucking sucks but if SINGAPOREAN men want this changed you are going to have the threaten your PAP MPs that you will vote worker's party unless this gets changed. I mean that. Polititions fear only one thing, losing election. You have to hold this over their heads and you MUST harp about it.

When there are children involved, after the above, the discussion shifts to them, money for them, custody, etc.

You have the penis, you get screwed. The court does not care in reality whay the marriage split, who fucked whom, when, why, how....if it has broken up, that's that.

You can google, "Divorce in Singapore". you'll find everything you need to know.

Cheers,
jim

Zamri
18-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi Guys:

I'm not sure why you all are so worried about "who is wrong" in a divorce, the court DOES NOT CARE. Divorce hearings are held in the family court its not as easy here as say in Calaifornia but its quite straight forward.
All matrimonial assets are divided in half and because of the sexist nature of the obsolete yet still in use women's charter, the owner of the penis then has agree to a sum of maintenance payments EVEN IF THE WIFE MAKES MORE MONEY THAN HIM. It fucking sucks but if SINGAPOREAN men want this changed you are going to have the threaten your PAP MPs that you will vote worker's party unless this gets changed. I mean that. Polititions fear only one thing, losing election. You have to hold this over their heads and you MUST harp about it.

When there are children involved, after the above, the discussion shifts to them, money for them, custody, etc.

You have the penis, you get screwed. The court does not care in reality whay the marriage split, who fucked whom, when, why, how....if it has broken up, that's that.

You can google, "Divorce in Singapore". you'll find everything you need to know.

Cheers,
jim

The best strategy is never to get married in Singapore at all. It is a morally loose country and pussies are freely available 24/7 all year round. When you get the urge, just find, fark and forget. :)

jameschong1
18-10-2012, 11:39 PM
=======
so where u now? batam? balai? tg pinang? bangkok? or jb?
maybe u can set up pimp post, travel agent post for other singkie quitters to join there? life is cheap & good yah?

Escorts555
20-10-2012, 10:59 PM
sigh :( the women's charter made marriage in Singapore such a scary thing to commit..

jameschong1
21-10-2012, 10:48 AM
sigh :( the women's charter made marriage in Singapore such a scary thing to commit..
======
your bad karma make u suffer cadly at your ex-wife? so now u kbkb qbout woman's charter in sporn? things are worse in other countries, stupid.

Frankiestine
21-10-2012, 10:51 AM
marriage is not a scary thing its the singkee women that is the scary thing to be married to...:D

with or without the woman charter, they are just as about the scariest living thing to be with..:(

feral888
21-10-2012, 08:22 PM
with or without the woman charter, they are just as about the scariest living thing to be with..:(

They can bleed for 7 days in a month, not die and still give you those bloody mood swings! :mad:

simoncheng
27-10-2012, 02:08 AM
They can bleed for 7 days in a month, not die and still give you those bloody mood swings! :mad:

Yeah.... Singkie women are horrible creatures.

jameschong1
27-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah.... Singkie women are horrible creatures.
============
are u simon cheong the fanous property developer or simon cheong the cleaner?
u sound u kema jialat jilat before by singkie woman?
but your mother also singkie what?

plush
28-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi Bros,

My mum is considering to divorce my dad, have read up the threads here and she can file for unreasonable behaviour (have few police reports past few years due to his drunken state and create nuisance and violence) and / or separation (they have been sleeping apart for 10++ years). My mum has been tolerating for many years, now me and my siblings are grown up, shes had enough after we persuade her to divorce (all my siblings are not on talking terms to my dad and totally ignored him ).

I know the power of Women Chapters, so my siblings and i will be siding with our mum.

plush
28-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Parents have a HDB flat under their names still with existing loan.he fyi contribute minimal to household expenses for the last 15 years, if he doesnt make trouble and ask us for money, its already a good day for us.

We figured we will need to go for contest divorce as we know he will not make things easy for us. (still unsure if he has the ability to engage a lawyer)

Is there any lawyers / organisation to recommend for us? we are not well to do, but making enough to lead our simple lives. (probably in the range of $5k or can stretch a bit more), parents are 65 y.o, im 31 and my youngest bro is 22 now .

When do we start paying the lawyers? do we need to pay when consulting on our case or only when we chose one to fight for our case?

thank you.

simoncheng
30-10-2012, 01:39 AM
============
are u simon cheong the fanous property developer or simon cheong the cleaner?
u sound u kema jialat jilat before by singkie woman?
but your mother also singkie what?

I am neither. I am the Simon Cheng that was originally from Hong Kong.
My mother is not a Singkie..... she hails from Futsan. :D

simoncheng
30-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Parents have a HDB flat under their names still with existing loan.he fyi contribute minimal to household expenses for the last 15 years, if he doesnt make trouble and ask us for money, its already a good day for us.

We figured we will need to go for contest divorce as we know he will not make things easy for us. (still unsure if he has the ability to engage a lawyer)

Is there any lawyers / organisation to recommend for us? we are not well to do, but making enough to lead our simple lives. (probably in the range of $5k or can stretch a bit more), parents are 65 y.o, im 31 and my youngest bro is 22 now .

When do we start paying the lawyers? do we need to pay when consulting on our case or only when we chose one to fight for our case?

thank you.

Live and let live lah...... so you want to throw your father out onto the streets now? He is already 65 years old.

This is what we call ungrateful bastards!! :mad:
No matter what he is still your father..... heaven will punish you.
To ill-treat one's parents is a sin more serious than murder..... :mad:

Sorry but I will not offer any advise to assist you.

Deepheat
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
i just want to ask in case of divorce, let say i own the house title and right before divorce i transfer the house name title to my family member. is that allowable in divorce situation and what will happen from then on? or what will also happen if i sell the house to a bona fide purchaser for title?

How the outcome of your case?

Zamri
09-12-2012, 05:23 AM

thank you.

Any updates from your case?

Deepheat
14-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Any updates from your case?

TS run road liao.

secara
14-12-2012, 01:55 AM
TS run road liao.

Should be...... no sound no picture :(