PDA

View Full Version : Condoms reliability.

jerrylimkk
17-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Dear Bros,

Read some surveys on the net that condoms are 98% effective in preventing pregancy. Etc out of 100 couples who used condoms consistantly and correctly over a period of 1 year. 2 of them managed to get pregnant.

If the condom is intact after use, how do they get pregnant? is that 2% due to condom failure and not intact condom still get pregnant? Thanks

AfA_hmor
18-04-2009, 09:23 AM
why don't you post the article here?

jerrylimkk
18-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Condoms: STD protection plus effective birth control - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/condoms/hq00463)

How effective are condoms at preventing pregnancy?
The breakage rate for condoms is two out of 100. Of every 100 couples who use condoms incorrectly and inconsistently, 15 will experience a pregnancy during the first year of use. Of every 100 couples who use condoms correctly and consistently, only two will experience a pregnancy.

Bro, does it mean that the 2% belongs to condom breakage and not intact condom still kenna pregnant?:confused:

blurking666
18-04-2009, 08:31 PM
if you are in a stable relationship and having protected sex with your significant other, my advice is to have both parties use contraceptives to circumvent the pregnancy issue. Ladies can either use the pill or norplant while males get with the condoms.

AfA_hmor
18-04-2009, 09:10 PM
How effective are condoms at preventing pregnancy?

The breakage rate for condoms is two out of 100. Of every 100 couples who use condoms incorrectly and inconsistently, 15 will experience a pregnancy during the first year of use. Of every 100 couples who use condoms correctly and consistently, only two will experience a pregnancy.

The problem how the above statement is interpreted.

Firstly, Condoms can break, even if the user puts it on correctly. Afterall, it is made of latex and it can snap.

Secondly, although condoms can break. But if they are intact, they are effective in preventing the transmission of bodily fluids.

The article basically says the breakage rate is 2 out if 100, if used correctly and consistently.

MrElixir
19-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Ya you are right

jerrylimkk
19-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Bros,

Thanks for the help..that means double protection? gal take pills then guys still wear a condom?:confused:

blurking666
19-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Bros,

Thanks for the help..that means double protection? gal take pills then guys still wear a condom?:confused:

Ya. According to the laws of probability, the chances of both failing is 2% X 2% or 4 in 10000. Still got chance lah. Nothing is ever certain except death and taxes.

buswhiz
19-04-2009, 08:37 PM
as long there is no leakage at the condom, it should be safe.. Of course, you never know until the day things has happen.. lol

jerrylimkk
19-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Bro..assuming if condoms no pichia leh?

Zelrous
22-04-2009, 09:42 AM
if want to make sure condom go hole. pour water into it and see if got leakage or not.

flarest
23-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Bro, does it mean that the 2% belongs to condom breakage and not intact condom still kenna pregnant?:confused:

the 2% is likely caused by improper usage of condoms. Most guys would never squeeze out the air at the tip of the condom when wearing. In addition, If you didn't roll the condom fully down the entire length of the shaft, there is a probability of semen leaking out, thereby causing pregnancy.

peanut123
26-04-2009, 12:59 PM
if the condom did not break at all, and there is no slippage, then it is 0% chance of getting pregnant. Semen or any fluid cannot penetrate unbroken rubber. It is physically impossible. It's like asking is it possible to get sunburn if you are sitting in a room without windows or skylight. It is impossible since sunlight /UV cannot penetrate the walls.

wsxujm2006
26-04-2009, 06:21 PM
[I]...........The article basically says the breakage rate is 2 out if 100, if used correctly and consistently.

Thanks for the info....... 2 out of 100 is quite minus, it is still considerably safe.

jerrylimkk
27-04-2009, 10:21 PM
if the condom did not break at all, and there is no slippage, then it is 0% chance of getting pregnant. Semen or any fluid cannot penetrate unbroken rubber. It is physically impossible. It's like asking is it possible to get sunburn if you are sitting in a room without windows or skylight. It is impossible since sunlight /UV cannot penetrate the walls.

Bro..I've asked Doc Bob from thebody.com liao..quite an interesting answer from him..LOL

Forum on Safe Sex and HIV Prevention: Mysterious Question and thought of you immediately! (CONDOM EFFICACY 2009) (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q200871.html)

Mysterious Question and thought of you immediately! (CONDOM EFFICACY 2009)
Apr 21, 2009

Hi Dr Bob, I was asking you some questions back in 2004 and have not got a reply yet. LOL. So I thought that I could be lucky this time round!

Ive seen on the internet on some surveys on condoms usage. It was reported that condoms only have 98% reliability in pregnancy prevention. The report says that out of 100 couples who used condoms correctly and consistently over a period of one year, 2 of them managed to get pregnant. How did that happen because condoms are supposed to have no holes or leakage in them? Does leakage happens in condoms? I mean when you removed it and it looks intact? Is it supposed to be leaking somewhere? How does condoms breakage looks like?

Advertisement Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for being patient. I should be getting to your 2004 question fairly soon! Things can get a bit backed up around here. Actually most folks have absolutely no idea how long it takes to read through thousands of questions day after day, let alone compose and post responses! In reality, I can only respond to a small percentage of questions cramming their way into my overstuffed inbox on a continual basis from throughout the cyber universe. (Thanks for being understanding.)

The bottom-line about latex (and polyurethane) condoms is that HIV cannot permeate intact latex (or polyurethane). No way. No how. Very occasionally condoms fail (break). Much more frequently people do not use condoms properly. This primarily accounts for the failure rate. Condoms do not have holes! Regarding the 100 couples, they, as you can imagine, were not screwing under laboratory conditions, but rather in their own boudoir (or on the kitchen table or wherever). Consequently, even though they claimed to use condoms "correctly" (and most of the time they probably did), chances are human error was the cause of the "new humans" produced, rather than a problem with the condom. See below.

Dr. Bob

godrik
28-04-2009, 11:42 AM
One thing for sure is don't use condoms provided by WL 100% No guarantee

jerrylimkk
01-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Bro..you means other no brand condoms?

buy okamoto or durex safer lor..